Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Warning: Stopped at airport for fact finding trip!!!!!

Warning: Stopped at airport for fact finding trip!!!!!

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 7:42 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation
Exclamation Warning: Stopped at airport for fact finding trip!!!!!

We arrived in Toronto yesterday for our fact finding trip no 2. However our arrival did not go entirely to plan. So thought I would post this to warn other in case they get the same treatment!

We arrived at Toronto airport and went to customs with our visa waiver form and the guy on the desk started asking all sorts of questions which we have never been asked before such as what our jobs were, who we knew in Canada, how much money we had etc. We answered all his questions and he drew a pink line across our form and told us to carry on.

We then go to another check point just before baggage claim, but the woman took one look at the form and sent us through to immigration instead of baggage claim.

We stood in the queue behind a couple of people. There was already a few people being questioned. One couple was being grilled about how much money they had and were being told that they did not have enough for their trip. Another person was being threatened with improsonment. We were a little concerned at this point!

When it got to our turn we were asked what the purpose of our visit was and how long we were staying. We said it was a holiday, (which it was combined with fact finding) and that we were here for 10 days. He then asked where we were staying and asked for proof and asked if we knew anyone in Canada, we said no - true.

He then asked us what our jobs were in the UK. At this point he said that he was aware that we had applied for residency and asked if this trip had anything to do with this. We said we would use the trip to fact find etc and hopefully confirm to ourselves that this is the location we want to settle in. He then asked us what category we had applied under - skilled worker, when etc. These just seemed to be for confirmation of facts. He also wanted to know how much money & credit cards we had on us.

After all this he finally stamped our passports and allowed us entry to Canada. Incidentally, he wrote in our passports under the stamp that our visa was only valid until Oct 05 (6 mths). No problem to us as we are only here for 10 days!

Although the process only took 20 mins or so, it was one of the most nerve-wracking of our lives. We were treated pleasantly at all times, but having never heard of this happening from others before, we were totally unprepared.

At least it proves we are in the system!

Hope this will alert others to this possibility.

Going to enjoy the rest of our trip now. By the way it is snowing very heavily here in London, Ontario - great welcome all round!

Jane
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 8:26 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Warning: Stopped at airport for fact finding trip!!!!!

I haven't heard of that either. Maybe they are on some sort of security alert or something? How unlucky for you, let's hope it doesn't put you off and enjoy your time here.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 8:40 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand your anxiety, but I think it is a GOOD thing. I am looking forward to living in a country (if they let me ) which is selective about who they let in and for how long!!!!

The other thing this underlines is that if you are doing research with regard to immigrating you should say so. I was told the other day of someone's sister who was retiring to Florida, and had bought a house which was being built. Well the house was ready and they were through to the final stages of their immigration process, and they were advised that it'd be OK to move out there to sort the house out while they waited their permanent residency.

So they bought their air tickets and went. At the airport, instead of being truthful about their purpose, they foolishly told passposrt control that they were there on vacation. When it came out that they actually had no intention of returning to the UK, they were deported. They were told that it would have been OK to do what they were doing ... and it would have been if they had been upfront about it..... they were deported for lying to the US immigration officer!

Now they are scuppered cos they can't go back!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:33 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
We arrived in Toronto yesterday for our fact finding trip no 2. However our arrival did not go entirely to plan. So thought I would post this to warn other in case they get the same treatment!

We arrived at Toronto airport and went to customs with our visa waiver form and the guy on the desk started asking all sorts of questions which we have never been asked before such as what our jobs were, who we knew in Canada, how much money we had etc. We answered all his questions and he drew a pink line across our form and told us to carry on.

We then go to another check point just before baggage claim, but the woman took one look at the form and sent us through to immigration instead of baggage claim.

We stood in the queue behind a couple of people. There was already a few people being questioned. One couple was being grilled about how much money they had and were being told that they did not have enough for their trip. Another person was being threatened with improsonment. We were a little concerned at this point!

When it got to our turn we were asked what the purpose of our visit was and how long we were staying. We said it was a holiday, (which it was combined with fact finding) and that we were here for 10 days. He then asked where we were staying and asked for proof and asked if we knew anyone in Canada, we said no - true.

He then asked us what our jobs were in the UK. At this point he said that he was aware that we had applied for residency and asked if this trip had anything to do with this. We said we would use the trip to fact find etc and hopefully confirm to ourselves that this is the location we want to settle in. He then asked us what category we had applied under - skilled worker, when etc. These just seemed to be for confirmation of facts. He also wanted to know how much money & credit cards we had on us.

After all this he finally stamped our passports and allowed us entry to Canada. Incidentally, he wrote in our passports under the stamp that our visa was only valid until Oct 05 (6 mths). No problem to us as we are only here for 10 days!

Although the process only took 20 mins or so, it was one of the most nerve-wracking of our lives. We were treated pleasantly at all times, but having never heard of this happening from others before, we were totally unprepared.

Going to enjoy the rest of our trip now. By the way it is snowing very heavily here in London, Ontario - great welcome all round!

Jane

Jane
Now theres something we never thought about, we will be coming to London Ontario in July for a holiday and fact finding reccie.

Jane, What is a visa waiver form, never heard of this before. Will I need one if travelling from the UK !!!!!!!!!!!
I wonder if you just happened to be unlucky or whether they do actually have people's names who have applied for PR, in a data base at the airport immigration, to check up on people who are coming on fact finding holidays and to make sure they are telling the truth to immigration.

Will we need to be upfront when we arrive !!!!!!!!!

Anyone else shed any light on Janes story

WHAT SNOW AT THIS TIME OF YEAR IN LONDON
I HAD MY FIRST BARBECUE TODAY. THE WEATHER WAS BRILLIANT HERE.

Eddie
Old Apr 24th 2005, 12:04 am

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Jane
Now theres something we never thought about, we will be coming to London Ontario in July for a holiday and fact finding reccie.

Jane, What is a visa waiver form, never heard of this before. Will I need one if travelling from the UK !!!!!!!!!!!
I wonder if you just happened to be unlucky or whether they do actually have people's names who have applied for PR, in a data base at the airport immigration, to check up on people who are coming on fact finding holidays and to make sure they are telling the truth to immigration.

Will we need to be upfront when we arrive !!!!!!!!!

Anyone else shed any light on Janes story

WHAT SNOW AT THIS TIME OF YEAR IN LONDON
I HAD MY FIRST BARBECUE TODAY. THE WEATHER WAS BRILLIANT HERE.

Eddie
Hi Eddie

The visa form is just a single sheet of paper you get given on the plane. It just asks you your names, nature of trip i.e. business, pleasure & if you are bringing anything prohibited such as animals, food, lots of money etc. it also asks if you have been on a farm recently or plan to in Canada. nothing too much to worry about. You then hand it in with your passports at customs.

I have no idea if we were unlucky or whether they have everyones details who are applying for PR. however, I had never come across this before on previous visits before PR applied for and more worryingly no one else has mentioned it on this or other forums.

As for telling the truth etc I think honesty is the best policy. He seemed to have all our details such as our jobs etc, so could easily check if we were lying and if he catches you lying just to visit it might throw doubt on your whole application.

As for the weather - last week in London ON it was in the 70's & 80's - we arrive to pouring rain on Friday and today it is heavy snow. On TV they have just given out a severe weather warning with 10-15cm snow expected by Sunday evening - typical!

We are looking at houses during the week and have a Canadian mortgage secured if we find something we like. We may leave Canada on this trip as house owners.

regards
Jane
Old Apr 24th 2005, 1:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
The other thing this underlines is that if you are doing research with regard to immigrating you should say so. I was told the other day of someone's sister who was retiring to Florida, and had bought a house which was being built. Well the house was ready and they were through to the final stages of their immigration process, and they were advised that it'd be OK to move out there to sort the house out while they waited their permanent residency.
It would be interesting to know on what basis they planned to obtain permanent residency.

Jeremy
Old Apr 24th 2005, 1:52 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is something that happens frequently both in the US and in Canada. Since you have already showed your desire to migrate by the filing of your application, they need to be sure that you were not using this visit to do so without proper documentation. Really a very normal occurrence and as I said one that happens to visitors to both the US and Canada who have shown intent and/or have a love interest in the country they are visiting. I have seen this happen to US citizens who are in love with Brits at the airport in London. They, too, have been denied entry and returned to the US.

Jane
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:17 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

I've never heard about this happening to anyone...
I've visited Canada three times since I sent my application off, and I've never been asked about it. All I've got, is the usual questions on where I'm staying, what's the purpose of the trip, how long am I staying for and so on...

Oh well, it's good to know that it might come up, so that I'm not completely taken by surprise if it happens!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

If they are aware of applicants' backgrounds I think it may be wise to state "holiday and fact finding trip" on the visa form. It may alert them at passport control, which may cause a bit of inconvenience, but at least it will show that you are being totally honest about your reasons for entering Canada.

Jane
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Wannabe
I've never heard about this happening to anyone...
I've visited Canada three times since I sent my application off, and I've never been asked about it. All I've got, is the usual questions on where I'm staying, what's the purpose of the trip, how long am I staying for and so on...

Oh well, it's good to know that it might come up, so that I'm not completely taken by surprise if it happens!
I had this happening to me , 2 out of the 3 trips I made since applying. Normal procedure I guess, but I admit it is a bit frightening .
Once applying for anything, you are clearly in the system and it seems those immigration officers at the airport have full access to your file and are keeping record from your trips to Canada and reasons for those trips.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:48 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

We had similar but "friendly" questioning last time we arrived in Vancouver.
I remember two things one reading somewhere that customs oficers have more power and responsibility at entry point than they used to.
Secondly the visa waiver form was not as detailed. It used to ask you where you were staying etc how long for etc. The last forms we had were simpler.
We were asked why we were there, we explained we were on holiday and we had a house there. He asked where it was, etc. he sort of said "Why do you want to go there?" sarcastically. I joked back and said " Oh don't say it like that it is beautiful etc....." he apologised and said he didn't mean it but was just checking to see if we had infact been there before!! We gave him the address, so no worry of him not being able to trace us . He asked if we had family there we said no , but my mother was coming out in a weeks time to join us. He then made some joke to my husband about buying a house a long way away from the mother in law! He also asked us what our jobs were. in UK

So they seem to be asking similar questions. Maybe they have details of all applications on computer, and just by asking certain questions can see if things tally with what you have put on your application and what is on their computer screen.

Now they have our Canadian address we hope they will not ask so much next time.
My husband went out yesterday so I'll ask him if they questioned him , being on his own this time.

[QUOTE=Canada Jane]We arrived in Toronto yesterday for our fact finding trip no 2. However our arrival did not go entirely to plan. So thought I would post this to warn other in case they get the same treatment!

Old Apr 24th 2005, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

zider is an unknown quantity at this point

When you visit with a PR app pending they know from their computer screen that you are in process so they know you have "dual intent", from most countries like UK that is fine provided you just say you are visiting/on business etc. You can try asking for an update on where CIC are at, but they don't seem to know or just don't tell you, they will say "we know no more than you do" kind of thing.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Hello......and welcome to Canada for your Holiday! and fact finding trip. I am so happy the whole process went in your favour.

It has been mentioned on here before of these exact experiences and also the possibility of them asking questions etc etc. I have had this exact experience when i came to Canada about 6 months ago. Can be stressfull and a little un-nerving when you are not expecting it. I was only here for a holiday the first time....i had no intention of immgrating and had no intention of staying here longer than one month. However i was given the grilling like you were and sent to the immigration office where i stood in the line for at least an hour. But all turned out well as in your case.

And wow it is still snowing, i hope this is in your favour too...sounds like you are enjoying it. I am in BC in the Okanagan. Tis been a beautiful week of sunny skies and high breezes. Perfect walking and gardening weather.

Enjoy your holiday *S*

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Apr 24th 2005 at 4:48 pm.