Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Warning: BA Operators giving out bad info on Excess Baggage

Warning: BA Operators giving out bad info on Excess Baggage

Old Nov 1st 2005, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of
Angry Warning: BA Operators giving out bad info on Excess Baggage

I booked my flight today, after calculations based on the BA operator telling me that the cost per piece of Excess Baggage (up to 32kg) was £30. He told me to make the booking online and then phone back with the booking number so that I could pre-book/pre-warn that I would be bring extra baggage. 10 pieces x £30 = £300, I can cope with that.

So I phoned, I explained, they told me it's £90 per bag. They have no idea why I was told £30 and because I don't have the name of the original operator, they are unwilling to honour it and won't even give me any sort of goodwill gesture.

So now I have an expensive flight that I wouldn't have booked if it wasn't for the cheap excess baggage charge (I nearly said 'those pesky kids' then lol)

Grrrrr.....
Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:43 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future
Default Re: Warning: BA Operators giving out bad info on Excess Baggage

Hi Allie2

Thats frustrating when trying to keep within a budget!

I too have recently booked BA from Heathrow to Toronto. Can you confirm the allowed baggage allowance....when I asked the booking operator she was not too sure and after checking she thought it was a max of 2 bags with combined weight of 32kg(i.e. between 2 bags 32Kg).......however when I read their website I read it as 2 bags each could be weighing upto 32kg (i.e. between 2 bags 64kg).

I will try ringing them again to confirm though would be interested if you knew?

Regards
Mans
Old Nov 1st 2005, 9:36 pm
Ambiroadious

WorldWeary will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mans
Hi Allie2

I too have recently booked BA from Heathrow to Toronto. Can you confirm the allowed baggage allowance....when I asked the booking operator she was not too sure and after checking she thought it was a max of 2 bags with combined weight of 32kg(i.e. between 2 bags 32Kg).......however when I read their website I read it as 2 bags each could be weighing upto 32kg (i.e. between 2 bags 64kg).

I will try ringing them again to confirm though would be interested if you knew?

Regards
Mans
Have a look here.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...k/public/en_gb

What may be confusing you is they state that no 'one piece may exceed 32kg.' But the total cannot exceed 32kg. either. In other words you can take 1 OR 2 bags with a total weight of 32kg. either way.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 5:35 am
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

many thanks for looking into that ........I was misreading it !

Rgds
Mans
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mans
Hi Allie2

Regards
Mans
No, it is 2 bags, each can way up to 32kg. To quote "2 pieces
Maximum dimensions per piece(H+W+L): 158cm (62in)
Maximum weight per piece: 32kg (70lbs)"
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:09 am
Mans

Originally Posted by allie2
No, it is 2 bags, each can way up to 32kg. To quote "2 pieces
Maximum dimensions per piece(H+W+L): 158cm (62in)
Maximum weight per piece: 32kg (70lbs)"
In which case i did read it right

Thanks allie2
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Your reading was better than my spelling...can't believe I wrote 'way' instead of 'weigh'...must be the excitement of booking my flight!
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

vwboomer has a brilliant futurevwboomer has a brilliant futurevwboomer has a brilliant futurevwboomer has a brilliant futurevwboomer has a brilliant futurevwboomer has a brilliant future

HI there, just to let you know. I flew with BA last year and baggage allowance was
2 bags max weight 32kg each bag. Also 1 piece of hand luggage 5kg if my memory serves me right. Word of warning on hand luggage if they think the bag is to big, even if it is below the 5kg they take it off you and put it in the hold. This happened to my Mum. Good job she didn't have anything she really needed on the flight in there.
vwboomer