Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Wanting to Immigrate to Alberta (Calgary area)

Wanting to Immigrate to Alberta (Calgary area)

Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:25 am
Just Joined

turns23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to Immigrate to Alberta (Calgary area)

Hi All,

Im a 25 year old male who wants to immigrate to Canada in particular to around the Calgary area on a permanent basis.

I have lived in Canada on no less than three occasions:

1) 1 year Work and Travel visa back in 2002 (Toronto)
2) 1 year study visa in 2004/05 - university exchange program (Ottawa)
3) 1 year temp work visa in 2006/07 (Ottawa)

I have kinda had enough of the UK and honestly see myself settling in Canada and having family, job, house etc... there.

The thing is...i just dont know where to start, there seems numerous different ways i can apply i.e. skilled worker, provincial nomination, temp worker etc... but i dont know which is going to be best for me? I am quite lucky that i am already in management in my current UK employment in customer services for a local borough and have been in the job for around a year now (since my return from Ottawa) but know that my future lies elsewhere.

i want to get out to Calgary ASAP and do not have the extra responsibilities of partners, children etc... what is the quickest method? Is it hard to get a permanent job offer whilst im still based in the UK? I dont want to just drop everything, get out there and have to take any job to make ends meet...i would like some sort of career progression.

Also, where do you even look for jobs? How do you which employers would be willing to offer foreign workers a permanent job offer beforehand?

As you can tell, i have more questions than answers so if anyone has any advice/feedback in regards to getting me out to Calgary... it would be genuinely appreciated!

Kind Regards
Andrew
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to Immigrate to Alberta (Calgary area)

Hi there and welcome.

Have you already done Bunac as one of your 3 stints in Canada? If not then that might your best option to start with as it'll get you out there for a year initially.

Otherwise, I'm afraid you have pretty limited options at the moment. Forget the Skilled Worker route - at the beginning of the year applications were taking 5-8 years to be processed, with the result that changes were introduced to reduce the backlog. This means that anybody without arranged employment or in an occupation under pressure (i.e. nursing) will simply be rejected.

You could try PNP but you would need to already be working in Canada as your employer would need to nominate you for that.

Your best bet by far is to try and get a TWP and then apply for PR once you are there either as a Skilled Worker (which is fasttracked) or via PNP.

These Wiki articles may help you understand things a bit more, just shout if you have any questions once you've read them! Good luck.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Labour_Shortages

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Hunting-Canada