Wanting to emigrate to Calgary...

Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wanting to emigrate to Calgary...

Hi there,

I live in Leeds with my partner and 2 children, 8 and nearly 3 and we are looking to make a move to Calgary.

I currently work for a multi-national in IT and Security, in the Government sector.

Unfortunately (and rather embarrassingly too) I have some non-custodial convictions dated in 1991, which incidentally has not impaired my UK SC clearance level to work with protected UK government content.

Is my immediate priority is to successfully apply for an 'application for criminal rehabilitation' before I can apply for any work/residency visas?

Can this application be done in parallel to any other applications or is it best to get the rehab approved upfront?

Any advise or experiences would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance
Jay

Last edited by spaceace; Sep 7th 2008 at 12:00 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 2:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to emigrate to Calgary...

Before worrying about that, on what basis do you plan to emigrate to Canada in the first place?
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Yes, that's a very good and valid point.

I've since been wading though what seems to be a lot of information on the web and I've come to the conclusion that the quickest way might be via the Temporary Work Permit route, which may not require a police check.

I could do the following roles which are listed under the occupations under pressure in Calgary;
NOC0213 Computer and Information systems Manager
NOC2147 Computer Engineers (Except Software Engineers)
NOC2281 Computer and Network Operators

That is assuming I can find an employer willing to offer a job and wait for the paperwork.

It all sounds incredibly complicated and unlikely. However I am determined to get it done.

Or maybe there is a better way...?
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:33 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

To enter Canada for any reason, even as a tourist, you first have to get the criminal rehabilitation thing sorted out.
x
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I posted this on another thread but may also be relevant here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7548467.stm

The government estimates one in four adults of working age has some sort of criminal record.

Is this proportion higher in Britain than in other countries? And does it reflect the fact that matters that would be dealt with informally in other countries are leading to British citizens being criminalised by their own authorities?
Old Sep 7th 2008, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks JAJ, that link doesn't surprise me one bit.

With my work in the UK I HAD to go declare my past as my role needs a certain level of government clearance and trust. I always say honesty is the best policy!

Judy...I'll get the forms sent off with the fee as soon as. Do you know how long the 'criminal rehabilitation' certificate lasts for?...I'm assuming it'll be valid for a set period.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 5:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

I find it surprising that Canada allows visa-free entry to British citizens, considering that so much of the U.K. population is technically inadmissible to Canada.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 7:08 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaceace
Judy...I'll get the forms sent off with the fee as soon as. Do you know how long the 'criminal rehabilitation' certificate lasts for?...I'm assuming it'll be valid for a set period.
My understanding is that, provided you don't receive another conviction in the future, criminal rehabilitation is permanent.
x
Old Sep 7th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

thank you
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by spaceace
thank you
u have a good chance so start with the Rehab thing and move on smoothly and all the best, Calgary i hear is noce and good as Alberta is looking n looking , so hurry up...

good luck