Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Wanting to apply for Immigration to Canada

Wanting to apply for Immigration to Canada

Old Oct 19th 2015, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

tetley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to apply for Immigration to Canada

question 1 is do UK born citizens need to sit the IELTS aswell
2) would i need a job offer before applying
3) how easy would it be if i have relatives and also funds to support myself for the first few years?
and 4) what is processing time on the EE
Old Oct 19th 2015, 10:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to apply for Immigration to Canada

Originally Posted by tetley
question 1 is do UK born citizens need to sit the IELTS aswell
2) would i need a job offer before applying
3) how easy would it be if i have relatives and also funds to support myself for the first few years?
and 4) what is processing time on the EE
1) Yes, depending on the visa route you go down.
2) Possibly, again depending on the visa route you go down.
3) You'll need minimum funds anyway, the relatives might give you some more points, but again it depends on the visa route.
4) Approx 6 months.

We really need more info to help you, which of the 50+ visa routes are you planning on applying under? You mention EE, but would you be applying as a Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trade, Canadian Experience Class, or PNP (and if PNP, which province, job, and stream)?
Old Oct 24th 2015, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

either the TWP or sponsorship from grandparents either one is the option at current moment i have available to me
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

either the TWP or sponsorship from grandparents either one is the option at current moment i have available to me
That's unusual - do you definitely qualify to be sponsored by grandparents? i.e. you're an orphan, under 18 and not married?

If not, then you have a LMIA for a TWP? If you do, then as you'll know, yes you do need the job offer you've already got for the visa. But you don't need IELTS until you apply for PR.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 24th 2015 at 9:12 am.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

oh okay i guess i am wrong on the sponsorship front

ok LMIA, What other routes are there possibly to get into Canada?
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm confused. You said you are eligible for a TWP, so you have a job offer and LMIA? If so, you don't need any other route.

If you don't have a job offer and LMIA then you need to look at all the other visa routes on the CIC website and work out what you might be eligible for.

Good luck.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Oh sorry for confusing you, yes i am just awaiting confirmation of the LMIA, and the actual job offer!!! but while i was waiting i just wanted to suss out any other route i could take while i am awaiting these
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh sorry for confusing you, yes i am just awaiting confirmation of the LMIA, and the actual job offer!!! but while i was waiting i just wanted to suss out any other route i could take while i am awaiting these
You must have the job offer already? As your employer will have needed proof of your contract etc in their LMIA application. But there's nothing that will be quicker, when was the LMIA applied for and what's the job? Are you eligible for 10 day processing?

If so, then fingers crossed it will be granted and you'll be on your way soon.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:59 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

i am just awaiting confirmation of the LMIA, and the actual job offer!!!
With a LMIA, there is no certainty, it is not a formality of waiting for confirmation. Rather than waiting to find out if it is approved or denied.

It would be worth looking into other avenues in the event it is not approved. Until the LMIA is approved it can go either way. ESDC are very unpredictable theses days.

If under 30, look at IEC for next year. It can be more secure than the TWP, in that if you lose the job, you can go work for someone else.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

And if over 30 sir

Originally Posted by Aviator
With a LMIA, there is no certainty, it is not a formality of waiting for confirmation. Rather than waiting to find out if it is approved or denied.

It would be worth looking into other avenues in the event it is not approved. Until the LMIA is approved it can go either way. ESDC are very unpredictable theses days.

If under 30, look at IEC for next year. It can be more secure than the TWP, in that if you lose the job, you can go work for someone else.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 11:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

And if over 30 sir
Then as above you need to look at the CIC website to see what you'll qualify for - there are so many different visa routes and we don't know enough about you to be able to suggest what you might be eligible for, but it should be easy enough to figure out yourself.

If you don't get the LMIA and still need a job offer to get a visa (as most do), then plans another job hunting trip to Canada and good luck.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

definitely think i do, i will chase up the company this week to see where it stands with the lmia and work permit
otherwise i will be looking for any job just so i can move to canada, as most my relatives are there and well have noone in uk really
Old Oct 25th 2015, 12:10 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

definitely think i do, i will chase up the company this week to see where it stands with the lmia and work permit
otherwise i will be looking for any job just so i can move to canada, as most my relatives are there and well have noone in uk really
But you can't get just any job to get a job that qualifies for an LMIA and temporary work permit an employee has to prove he can't fill the position with a Canadian which is a tough ask..
Old Oct 25th 2015, 12:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
But you can't get just any job to get a job that qualifies for an LMIA and temporary work permit an employee has to prove he can't fill the position with a Canadian which is a tough ask..
I believe you may have meant the employer has to do this? The employer has to try and hire Canadians or PR first, then stump up the $1000 application fee when applying for the LMIA.

It is a lot harder to get approved now, not to mention the extra cost. Application are down nearly 80% on the old system.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 12:38 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I believe you may have meant the employer has to do this? The employer has to try and hire Canadians or PR first, then stump up the $1000 application fee when applying for the LMIA.

It is a lot harder to get approved now, not to mention the extra cost. Application are down nearly 80% on the old system.
Yes I did, thanks Aviator!