Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Waiting for visitor's extension, hoping for PPR soon. When to renew passport?

Waiting for visitor's extension, hoping for PPR soon. When to renew passport?

Old May 25th 2011, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

richard37 is on a distinguished road
Default Waiting for visitor's extension, hoping for PPR soon. When to renew passport?

Hi there,

I need a little help figuring out when to renew my passport. It's expiring March 2012. I'm already in Canada and I'm hoping to have my passport request before the end of the summer. I'm also expecting an extension on my visitor's visa any day now.

Is it true that when Canada grants me permanent residency it will only do so up to the expiry date on my passport?

Should I wait until I get my visitor's visa granted to send my passport to Washington for renewal? If the visa is denied I need the passport to travel home with, right?

Also, maybe this should go in a separate thread, I'm not sure: Has anyone here tried to get their British passport renewed faster by sending everything to relatives living at their old address in the UK? I'm sure my mum wouldn't mind making a quick trip to the Post Office for me.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:14 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Waiting for visitor's extension, hoping for PPR soon. When to renew passport?

Originally Posted by richard37
Hi there,

I need a little help figuring out when to renew my passport. It's expiring March 2012. I'm already in Canada and I'm hoping to have my passport request before the end of the summer. I'm also expecting an extension on my visitor's visa any day now.

Is it true that when Canada grants me permanent residency it will only do so up to the expiry date on my passport?

Should I wait until I get my visitor's visa granted to send my passport to Washington for renewal? If the visa is denied I need the passport to travel home with, right?

Also, maybe this should go in a separate thread, I'm not sure: Has anyone here tried to get their British passport renewed faster by sending everything to relatives living at their old address in the UK? I'm sure my mum wouldn't mind making a quick trip to the Post Office for me.

Thanks in advance.
The PR visa will only last up to the 1 year after medical, or passport expiry, which ever is sooner. However, the visa is only required to turn up at border (or inland CIC office) to become a PR. Afterwards the visa does not matter.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Waiting for visitor's extension, hoping for PPR soon. When to renew passport?

Thanks BTJ. I always feel bad asking this stuff when I'm sure the information must be out there somewhere for me to find on my own.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:21 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I renewed my passport via Washington last October. I was only without it for 8 working days. They turned it round really quickly.

Good luck.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I renewed my passport via Washington last October. I was only without it for 8 working days. They turned it round really quickly.

Good luck.
Wow. That's good to know, thanks.