Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Waiting Time Between Obtaining LMO and Applying for WP Directly at POE

Waiting Time Between Obtaining LMO and Applying for WP Directly at POE

Old Aug 15th 2014, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Waiting Time Between Obtaining LMO and Applying for WP Directly at POE

So, I just got off the phone with my employer a few hours ago. He told me that I should wait two weeks after getting my LMO to apply at the port of entry. That will apparently give Service Canada enough time to confirm my information on my LMO and relay this info to CBSA and CIC.

How long after receiving your LMO did you wait to apply for your work permit at the airport? How accurate is this information about LMO information relay times? Is my employer just overthinking the situation?

I'm ready to go immediately since I have all my documents together, but it's probably best to just wait until this month's end. I'd hate to show up at the CBSA office and get refused simply because Service Canada hasn't finished relaying the info to them. My employer is the one buying my airline ticket (as he is legally required to), so I don't really have any other choice but to wait. I would much prefer to move into a new apartment at the beginning of September anyway, so there's no harm in waiting.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting Time Between Obtaining LMO and Applying for WP Directly at POE

Originally Posted by bc_guy
So, I just got off the phone with my employer a few hours ago. He told me that I should wait two weeks after getting my LMO to apply at the port of entry. That will apparently give Service Canada enough time to confirm my information on my LMO and relay this info to CBSA and CIC.

How long after receiving your LMO did you wait to apply for your work permit at the airport? How accurate is this information about LMO information relay times? Is my employer just overthinking the situation?

I'm ready to go immediately since I have all my documents together, but it's probably best to just wait until this month's end. I'd hate to show up at the CBSA office and get refused simply because Service Canada hasn't finished relaying the info to them. My employer is the one buying my airline ticket (as he is legally required to), so I don't really have any other choice but to wait. I would much prefer to move into a new apartment at the beginning of September anyway, so there's no harm in waiting.
Your employer should receive the LMO/LMIA who then sends you a copy. Once you have it in your possession physically or on your smart device then you can print it off and travel to Canada and get your work permit.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting Time Between Obtaining LMO and Applying for WP Directly at POE

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Your employer should receive the LMO/LMIA who then sends you a copy. Once you have it in your possession physically or on your smart device then you can print it off and travel to Canada and get your work permit.
So in other words, you're saying that my name and LMO/LMIA information should already be in CIC's or CBSA's electronic database by the time I have a copy of it in my possession. If so, then that's awesome. Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:25 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived three weeks after receiving the LMO, had we been able to organise everything with a matter of days we would have arrived sooner.