Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Waiting for PR, on work permit, want to change jobs and work permit, any experiences?

Wikiposts

Waiting for PR, on work permit, want to change jobs and work permit, any experiences?

Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

SuzH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waiting for PR, on work permit, want to change jobs and work permit, any experiences?

Hi

I applied (with my partner) for PR at the very end of April '04, AOR 9th July 04, got a delay letter stating end of March 06.

I got a job and work permit in Nov '04 and we moved to Canada (Victoria, BC), since then I have renewed my work permit. My partner (on an open work permit as my spouse) got a new job in Vancouver and is weekly commuting as he could not find a suitable job in Victoria. I am looking at jobs in Vancouver as well and have some interest, but I would need a new work permit. I was hoping the PR would come through soon and I would wait till then but as it could be months I am starting to look now.

I guess what I am really asking - has anyone swapped jobs and successfully got a new work permit? Can you let me know your experiences?

thanks
Suzanne
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:38 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting for PR, on work permit, want to change jobs and work permit, any experiences?

Originally Posted by SuzH
Hi

I applied (with my partner) for PR at the very end of April '04, AOR 9th July 04, got a delay letter stating end of March 06.

I got a job and work permit in Nov '04 and we moved to Canada (Victoria, BC), since then I have renewed my work permit. My partner (on an open work permit as my spouse) got a new job in Vancouver and is weekly commuting as he could not find a suitable job in Victoria. I am looking at jobs in Vancouver as well and have some interest, but I would need a new work permit. I was hoping the PR would come through soon and I would wait till then but as it could be months I am starting to look now.

I guess what I am really asking - has anyone swapped jobs and successfully got a new work permit? Can you let me know your experiences?

thanks
Suzanne
You would need HRSDC approval of the new job and then you could apply for a change of conditions of your WP.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

SuzH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Waiting for PR, on work permit, want to change jobs and work permit, any experien

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You would need HRSDC approval of the new job and then you could apply for a change of conditions of your WP.
Thanks Jim. My current work permit is in a category (software development) that does not require HRSDC approval. A new job may or may not fit into this category as well. Does this pose a problem if I change job category and may fall into a category that requires HRSDC approval? Could I still then apply to change the conditions of my work permit? At what point in the process would I have to inform my current employers? I'm worried that I may end up without a job at all!!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:28 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting for PR, on work permit, want to change jobs and work permit, any experien

Originally Posted by SuzH
Thanks Jim. My current work permit is in a category (software development) that does not require HRSDC approval. A new job may or may not fit into this category as well. Does this pose a problem if I change job category and may fall into a category that requires HRSDC approval? Could I still then apply to change the conditions of my work permit? At what point in the process would I have to inform my current employers? I'm worried that I may end up without a job at all!!
You have to apply to change your conditions (employer and city) in any case. The question is do you need HSRDC approval. Until you have a new WP you cannot work for the new employer.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:35 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting for PR, on work permit, want to change jobs and work permit, any experiences?

I've just done this. It took much longer to get HRDC approval than it did for my first job in Canada. The lawyers orginally stated that it would take 3 weeks to get the LMO completed. In the end it took nearly two months...

However, getting the visa changed at the border was a very smooth process....