Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Waiting on PR Card but need to travel outside Canada - Panicking!

Waiting on PR Card but need to travel outside Canada - Panicking!

Old Dec 15th 2011, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

dalton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waiting on PR Card but need to travel outside Canada - Panicking!

Hi I'm an Irish Citzan living in Vancouver, I "landed" on the 17th of September 2011 and was told I would have my PR Card within two months so I have booked a trip home to Ireland for Christmas. I have expected my card to arrive any day for the past few weeks but when I finally rang them last week they informed me that it hadn't been sent out yet and to ring back in a month.

As far as I can see I am ment to get Travel Documents from the Canadian Embassy in London (England) as they suggested.

I am re-entering Canada on an United Airlines fright from Chicago (I will be spending a few days there on my way back) but unfortunitly they dont have a visa processing office either.

However I also have a work permit valid until 2013, I presume my PR status supersedes that but could I simply board by flight out of the US useing that? Its not crossed out or anything. I really dont fancy flying to London from Ireland over Christmas just to get a form that they may not even look for in Chicago.

I have read the http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...ithout_PR_card

and believe I fall under as I am not flying with Air Canada

Potential Complication
For example, if you are flying to Canada on a one-way ticket and don't have a PR card, the airline may refuse to let you board.

Any advise? Am I taking a big risk by either not getting my travel papers and/or showing my old working visa?
Old Dec 15th 2011, 8:18 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting on PR Card but need to travel outside Canada - Panicking!

Are you flying one way or on a return?

Do you have the paper record of landing form as well as the TWP?

Id say that the usual advice regarding returning residents on visa waiver passports applies, but that returning VIA the US is a complication.

Personally I would wing it without the TD if I had the paper ROLF and the work permit, but my views on this topic are well known to regular readers here. Air Canada or not, no one with a british passport has reported being refused boarding since Ive been reading this forum. Some get sent to "secondary" by immigration, but thats a minor hassle compared to a day trip to London.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 15th 2011 at 8:23 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Yes I have my copy of the Cert of PR which I got at the border when landing. Its a return flight, with the return flight into Canada. I have no flight booked out of Canada. I think I'll chance it to be honest.

I also have a SIN Card with a permanent number etc. I'll just bring all the information I have I guess.

It's crazy that now even as a PR I still feel guilty entering the country...
Old Dec 15th 2011, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I also agree with iaink and my views on this topic are also well known and published
Old Dec 15th 2011, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

slade is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you as I landed in Toronto on 30th September and have still not recieved my PR card and I'm travelling home to Wales on Christmas eve.

I made a phone call today to chase my PR card and to ask what I'm suppossed to do and they weren't very helpfull. All they said is that I need to wait another while they chased it up and suggested I get a travel document.

Anyway I went back on the CIC website this afternoon and they have a note at the top of the page for "PR Card" advising what you should do if you are experiencing delays. None of the information is particularly useful for you and I due to the time constraints but I think it does indicate that they are having some problems and hopefully the IO will be more sympathetic.

Best of luck and I hope we both get back to Canada in the new year.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We are very sympathetic and accommodating

Dont get hung up on it enjoy your travels.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:49 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Go right ahead. There will be no problem in returning to Canada because as an Irish citizen you would not need a visa to return anyway. The purpose of the PR card is to assist the airlines in deciding who they should allow to board and you can board without a visa so - no problem. The Border Service Agent will accept the paper landing document as proof of your PR status when you arrive.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by slade
Hi, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you as I landed in Toronto on 30th September and have still not recieved my PR card and I'm travelling home to Wales on Christmas eve.

I made a phone call today to chase my PR card and to ask what I'm suppossed to do and they weren't very helpfull. All they said is that I need to wait another while they chased it up and suggested I get a travel document.

Anyway I went back on the CIC website this afternoon and they have a note at the top of the page for "PR Card" advising what you should do if you are experiencing delays. None of the information is particularly useful for you and I due to the time constraints but I think it does indicate that they are having some problems and hopefully the IO will be more sympathetic.

Best of luck and I hope we both get back to Canada in the new year.
Well, best of luck to you, I hope we will be fine! Its a crazy time frame for waiting for a simple PR Card to be issued.

Thanks for everyones advise, I'll probable chance it.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 4:39 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

No need for panic and you are not "chancing" it.