Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Waiting for that 'positive' LMO !!

Waiting for that 'positive' LMO !!

Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Billy Bear Badger is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Waiting for that 'positive' LMO !!

I'm a newbie, so go gentle with me please !!

I applied for PR back in July '07 and received the High Commission standard letter it'll take 42 - 48 months to process !! We visited the Canadian Expo. in London last year to seek advice and I was told we could go out there on a work permit if I could get a job so I sent my CV to prospective employers and after two interviews with the same company in April '08 (Waterloo) & Aug '08 (Toronto), I have been successful with a job offer in Sept '08. based in Nova Scotia. My wife and I visited Nova Scotia (as we'd only been to Ontario before visiting relatives) and fell in love with the place. We discussed the processing times for a work permit (4 - 6 weeks) and thinking 2 and a half months should cover it we went for a December 1st start date with my new employer...that has been delayed as I need my employer to seek a 'positive' LMO before my WP can be issued....it took the H.C. 7 weeks to eventually come back and tell me about the required LMO ! My prospective employer has applied for the LMO and now we are being told this process can take up to 6 weeks...obviously these people don't have a clue on the stress this can cause. I suppose I've done the cardinal sin and finished my job here in the UK Nov'08 thinking all would be fine...muppet ! Anyway my reason for writing this is to let people know what can go wrong and the impact it can have...sat here twiddling my thumbs and waiting is doing my head-in....for those who are interested I will keep you posted.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:34 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting for that 'positive' LMO !!

Hi

Welcome to BE, sorry to hear that you are still waiting for the LMO. It seems such a hit and miss process as I know some people have waited literally a matter of days for an LMO and others it seems to be taking a few weeks.

Hang in there, it will soon come through and you will be in NS soon

Good luck
Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:35 pm
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

HI

OH has had a job offer since sep o8 too, tomorrow it will be 6 weeks waiting on a positive LMO
and that is with a job on the OUP List too!!!

Stick with it, hopefully it will speed up a bit now Christmas is over. We were told today that once the Christmas holidays come, everything stops and then restarts after Jan.

good luck
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:15 am
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough

Hi there...sorry to hear of your stress...

Just a though, but once you have your Positive LMO, you can book your flights and other stuff and have your work Permit granted at POE so you dont have the extra 6 weeks wait for Immigration....hope this cheers you up
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Hi All

Don't want to be the bearing of bad news but we waited ages for news on our LMO at the end of last year and finally found out on 22nd Dec that it had been rejected. My husband had been offered a job in Ontario in Sept 08.

The reason for rejection was that they didn't feel that the employer couldn't find a Canadian to do the job (it was as an Account Manager for a Graphics company)

I think we were just unlucky all the way with our LMO as don't think the employer knew the system. don't think the immigration consultant they were working with knew the loopholes in the system. The employer also had real problems trying to contact Service Canada and think we were also unluckly as the officer dealing with our case was always out of the office and his mail box full.

We have decided not to appeal the LMO decision as applying via BUNAC (we are both 29). We are not sure whether the employer will hold open the job for my husband but if they don't, a year working in Canada would be great anyway.

The waiting was awful and everyday you are waiting for that email/phonecall. I hope you hear soon and are luckier than we are. Hopefully we will get chance to live in Canada even if it's just for a year. It would still be a great experience.

Hopefully you won't have to go through a similar experience but feel your pain with the waiting process.

All the best

Lucy
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Thomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Billy Bear Badger

I applied for PR back in July '07 and received the High Commission standard letter it'll take 42 - 48 months to process !! We visited the Canadian Expo. in London last year to seek advice and I was told we could go out there on a work permit if I could get a job so I sent my CV to prospective employers and after two interviews with the same company in April '08 (Waterloo) & Aug '08 (Toronto), I have been successful with a job offer in Sept '08. based in Nova Scotia. My wife and I visited Nova Scotia (as we'd only been to Ontario before visiting relatives) and fell in love with the place. We discussed the processing times for a work permit (4 - 6 weeks) and thinking 2 and a half months should cover it we went for a December 1st start date with my new employer...that has been delayed as I need my employer to seek a 'positive' LMO before my WP can be issued....it took the H.C. 7 weeks to eventually come back and tell me about the required LMO ! My prospective employer has applied for the LMO and now we are being told this process can take up to 6 weeks...obviously these people don't have a clue on the stress this can cause. I suppose I've done the cardinal sin and finished my job here in the UK Nov'08 thinking all would be fine...muppet ! Anyway my reason for writing this is to let people know what can go wrong and the impact it can have...sat here twiddling my thumbs and waiting is doing my head-in....for those who are interested I will keep you posted.
If it's any consolation I was told by the LMO people my application was posted on the 22nd December and it' has yet to show up. Employer them back and they said they would definitely fax it ,it has yet to show up ! Their voicemail inbox is now full so can't even leave a message ! Appreciate the frustrations you are going through but it will all work out in the end........stay positive young Jedi
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Hey, I appreciate all your feedback
I'm hoping that my 20 years experience in the recycling & waste Industry and the fact that this is a senior job with the employer in Nova Scotia may help my application. They've struggled to employ someone for this position and as I see it if I can help to develop someone's skills to become a senior Manager in WMI, then it should be a win - win situ.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

canzoet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I wish you all the best in your efforts to get to Canada. Having been away from Canada for a number of years, I can hardly believe that it takes so long to get what used to be Landed Immigrant Status. Way back in the middle
sixties after the death of my father, my mother decided to return to Canada. My sister and I, having British citizenship, had to go through the immigration process. We went to Leeds to have a medical and an interview with an immigration officer. The medical took about 15 minutes. After the short interview we were simply asked when we wanted to leave for Canada.
Within a month we were on our way to Canada. So reading your e-mail that it takes 42-48 months to process an application, truly amazes me. You must have an enormous amount of patience!
Again, all the best in your efforts.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

My Uncle went to Ontario in 1967 under 'landed immigrant status' and never looked back....after I got the reply from CHC London i.e. 42 - 48 months I knew I'd have to do something to shorten that period hence my efforts to demonstrate to CHC London how serious I was and got the job offer...little did I know what was coming next....this waiting game is not an enjoyable one..:curse:

Mind you if I get the LMO I'm sure you'll hear my cheering from over there !!

thanks for your message and best wishes to you
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

canzoet is an unknown quantity at this point

My Uncle went to Ontario in 1967 under 'landed immigrant status' and never looked back....after I got the reply from CHC London i.e. 42 - 48 months I knew I'd have to do something to shorten that period hence my efforts to demonstrate to CHC London how serious I was and got the job offer...little did I know what was coming next....this waiting game is not an enjoyable one..:curse:

I am sure you will enjoy Nova Scotia.Its certainly a great place, brings back many memories of my childhood. My mother was a fifth generation Nova Scotian ( the family started arriving in 1783) so it has a special place in my heart!!
Good luck for the big adventure.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Thomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant future

Well no sooner i post a little moan and an e mail appears with the renewed LMO attached ! the posted one has yet to appear but at least i have that little peice of paper so i can get on with my life for a few more months. Now off for a few 'bevvies' .....
Old Jan 11th 2009, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Paddington is an unknown quantity at this point

BBB,

Hope you get a positive outcome.

My wife and I are in a very similar position.

I was offered a resource exploration position in Manitoba in Sept 08 and we set a start date of late November. My future employer only sent the LMO paperwork on the 22nd December and I have been told that it will take 6 weeks (end of January 2009). In the meantime, I had left my old job (and have fortunately secured some temporary contract work) and our house is also on the market (as we will need the funds to purchase a house in Canada). Trying to juggle all these sepearte timelines is stressful to say the least.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your results,