Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Waiting For Citizenship Certificate - Other Options?

Waiting For Citizenship Certificate - Other Options?

Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

AnnetteL is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Waiting For Citizenship Certificate - Other Options?

Hello to all! So very glad to find this site!! I'm in a similiar pickle as a poster below - I'm an American citizen married to a Canadian citizen and we have a 2 year old daughter (named Shanley). We want to move to Ontario and sent off for Shanley's citizenship certificate back in July 2004, and had hoped to receive it in a few months... but after reading here of a 12 to 24 ( ) month wait, I'm getting a bit disappointed. We were planning on waiting to get her citizenship certificate before sending in my husband's sponsorship application/my permanent residence application, but I don't want to wait until July 2006!!

If we get her a 1-year temporary passport, as others have mentioned, can I just go ahead and send in the sponsorship/PR applications? What would happen if that passport expired before we landed, would they grant me another one on the premise that we had applied for her citizenship certificate and are just waiting to receive it in the mail?

Any and all answers are appreciated!!

Thank You!
Annette
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:18 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Waiting For Citizenship Certificate - Other Options?

Your daughter is a Canadian citizen regardless lack of certificate. You don't need to wait for her certificate with your application, start it now. Just don't include her as an accompanying dependant - you must list her but simply state that she is a Canadian.

Originally Posted by AnnetteL
Hello to all! So very glad to find this site!! I'm in a similiar pickle as a poster below - I'm an American citizen married to a Canadian citizen and we have a 2 year old daughter (named Shanley). We want to move to Ontario and sent off for Shanley's citizenship certificate back in July 2004, and had hoped to receive it in a few months... but after reading here of a 12 to 24 ( ) month wait, I'm getting a bit disappointed. We were planning on waiting to get her citizenship certificate before sending in my husband's sponsorship application/my permanent residence application, but I don't want to wait until July 2006!!

If we get her a 1-year temporary passport, as others have mentioned, can I just go ahead and send in the sponsorship/PR applications? What would happen if that passport expired before we landed, would they grant me another one on the premise that we had applied for her citizenship certificate and are just waiting to receive it in the mail?

Any and all answers are appreciated!!

Thank You!
Annette
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Awesome, thank you so much for the response! One last question - am I right in saying that I have to send in my husband's sponsorship application (and necessary paperwork), my PR application (and necessary paperwork), Michigan background check and FBI background check all at the same time? Do I also include my medical examination results and/or Passport, or just wait until they're asked for? Thanks!

Annette
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

blairwitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnnetteL
Awesome, thank you so much for the response! One last question - am I right in saying that I have to send in my husband's sponsorship application (and necessary paperwork), my PR application (and necessary paperwork), Michigan background check and FBI background check all at the same time? Do I also include my medical examination results and/or Passport, or just wait until they're asked for? Thanks!

Annette

Yes to everything, but the passport. Hang onto that, you may need it in the 6-12 months or so that it takes to process your application. Wait until your passport is asked for.

Last edited by blairwitch; Feb 10th 2005 at 10:42 am. Reason: Bad spelling, again!
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Just an FYI - I received an email today stating that the Detroit consulate received my daughter's Citizenship Certificate and will be mailing it out in the mail. That sure makes me feel better, a lot of weight off my mind!

Annette