Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Waiting for Alberta PNP (CPS)- need advice on BUNAC

Waiting for Alberta PNP (CPS)- need advice on BUNAC

Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

SteveC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waiting for Alberta PNP (CPS)- need advice on BUNAC

Hi all

I have only just discovered this great forum now, the day that I am leaving to return home after completing the Selection Process for the Calgary Police Service. I was successful in each of the stages and presuming nothing goes wrong with my background investigation and with the selection committee, I am hoping for a job offer before the end of the year.

This is where things start to get a little confusing for me; Presuming I have signed a conditional job offer and submitted the PNP paperwork to my prospective employer; do I then need to wait for them to come back to me saying "yes" or "no" from the Alberta PNP side before submitting my PR application to CIC?

I am very keen to get back over to Canada as soon as possible and was considering applying under BUNAC in December. Once I have submitted my PR application and completed my medical, is there any reason why I shouldn't head back to Canada (under BUNAC) while I wait for the PR process to complete? I know I run the risk of having to fly all the way home to have an interview but if this doesn't happen I assume I can just work in Canada until I get PR, leave the country for a few hours and return as a permanent resident?

Sorry for the hefty first post but I haven't even left Canada yet and I am dying to get back! Would appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Steve

Last edited by SteveC; Nov 17th 2007 at 11:37 am.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

martintaylor1547 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Waiting for Alberta PNP (CPS)- need advice on BUNAC

Steve,

by BUNAC do you mean a temporary work visa?

I know a couple of people have come over having submitted the visa application to london having had the yes for the PNP from edmonton, but most seem to wait til the y have done everything and got their visa from london

you might want to have a look at www(dot)************(dot)com as there are a few streams on there which might be able to help.

you are looking at 3 months ish for the background checks etc before you get the job offer and a couple of weeks to a month for the job offer turn around before your paperwork goes off to Edmonton

my paperwork has been in Edmonton for a month now and has not arrived back in Britain yet

hope this helps

martin
Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:52 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

In some cases, when people's PNP applications reach a certain point, they are allowed to apply for temporary work permits and start working in Canada while the rest of the PNP / PR application process makes its way through the pipeline.

However, I am not familiar with the stuff that a person has to go through when he/she applies for a job in the police service. As Martin has mentioned, there are background checks, etc. From the very little I've read about it on this forum, I gather that a prospective police officer has to jump through more hoops than the average person applying to work in Canada. I suppose that stands to reason, given the sensitive nature of police work.

If you don't get as much information as you'd like on this forum, you might try the Police forum (if you haven't tried it already).

I am very keen to get back over to Canada as soon as possible and was considering applying under BUNAC in December. Once I have submitted my PR application and completed my medical, is there any reason why I shouldn't head back to Canada (under BUNAC) while I wait for the PR process to complete? I know I run the risk of having to fly all the way home to have an interview but if this doesn't happen I assume I can just work in Canada until I get PR, leave the country for a few hours and return as a permanent resident?
When you mention working in Canada on a BUNAC visa, I assume you are talking about non-police work.

I'm not an immigration expert, but I cannot actually see a flaw in this plan.

I'll be interested to see what the experts say.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Steve - I know next to nothing about BUNAC, it must be said, - but I'm sure I have read on here somwhere quite recently that this year's quota of places are full and you would need to apply towards the end of 2008 for a place? This would not fit into your plans if I am even half correct .

I know of another poster (on another forum) who waited till he got some kind of acknowledgement from the PNP people and then took that, and his offer of employment, over to Calgary and was given a work permit at Immigration on the strength of those documents. He's still waiting for the full PNP aspect to arrive but somehow managed to wangle a permit at the airport. Good for him, but pretty lucky, plus his wife got a permit too. I think he's not anticipating starting with CPS till Feb or March - but he arrived here a couple of months ago.

PM me if you want direction to read / find his experiences ...

Good luck with everything
Old Nov 18th 2007, 4:07 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Steve - I know next to nothing about BUNAC, it must be said, - but I'm sure I have read on here somwhere quite recently that this year's quota of places are full and you would need to apply towards the end of 2008 for a place? This would not fit into your plans if I am even half correct .

I know of another poster (on another forum) who waited till he got some kind of acknowledgement from the PNP people and then took that, and his offer of employment, over to Calgary and was given a work permit at Immigration on the strength of those documents. He's still waiting for the full PNP aspect to arrive but somehow managed to wangle a permit at the airport. Good for him, but pretty lucky, plus his wife got a permit too. I think he's not anticipating starting with CPS till Feb or March - but he arrived here a couple of months ago.

PM me if you want direction to read / find his experiences ...

Good luck with everything
Ann, I checked the information on BUNAC's website. It states that, if you apply in November - December 2007, you can enter Canada any time from February 2008 until December 31st, 2008.

That confirms what live to ski, who came to Canada through BUNAC in 2006, said in the thread entitled BUNAC peeps in here.

In that thread live to ski also said that your 12 month clock (the time in which you were allowed to live and work in Canada) started ticking from your date of arrival in Canada.

But, going back to you, Steve, I don't know if February 2008 would be as early an entry date into Canada as you were hoping for.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Jilly345 has a spectacular aura aboutJilly345 has a spectacular aura aboutJilly345 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Steve,

My OH is ex Thames Valley, how did you find the application process for Canada? Are they still looking for more British police do you know? But then again he's been out of the force for 5 years now, so may be that would be too long. Any advice greatly welcome?

Many thanks

Jilly
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Jilly - the Calgary Police website has it all - if that is an area that interests you? Otherwise, each police force will have it's own website and details of whether they are recruiting. Calgary (and Edmonton) offer a Provincial Nominee Programme (PNP) which basically means that you could get here a lot quicker (say approx 12-18 months from application)- rather than the 4+years waiting times under the normal Skilled Worker route.

www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/police/recruiting

Whether they would offer a PNP place to someone who is not currently a UK officer has not yet been determined. Several people have made enquiries but never come back to BE to update us !

And thanks Judy, ref clarification of BUNAC (too lazy to research it to be honest, at that time!)
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

SteveC is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not think this is limited to British police officers. I am currently a South African Police officer (although I am a British citizen and did serve in the British Army). I think they are looking for any experienced officers. I can promise the experience I will bring from South Africa is very different to that in the UK!

They are most definitely still recruiting and I think will be for the foreseeable future.

I would suggest giving the Recruiting Unit a ring and asking if a 5 year gap is too long. I found them very helpful before and while I was over there.

The process is challenging but definitely possible. If you can show them that you've got what they want, they will look after you!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whether they would offer a PNP place to someone who is not currently a UK officer has not yet been determined. Several people have made enquiries but never come back to BE to update us !
Originally Posted by SteveC
I do not think this is limited to British police officers. I am currently a South African Police officer (although I am a British citizen and did serve in the British Army). I think they are looking for any experienced officers. I can promise the experience I will bring from South Africa is very different to that in the UK!
Steve / Jilly - sorry, I did not mean to imply that the PNP only related to UK officers - I just meant that it might apply to current police officers (but that has not been confirmed one way or the other by anyone on this site!). Clear as mud? Good

So Jilly - if you do make some enqs - do come back on here and tell us what they said about the PNP programme and if it can relate to ex-officers and/or other professions anyway. We've had several 'forces' people ask a similar question and I don't yet know what the answer is .... I can't see why PNP could not apply to anyone really ... but they might be limiting the places to current officers ...
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:00 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Steve / Jilly - sorry, I did not mean to imply that the PNP only related to UK officers - I just meant that it might apply to current police officers (but that has not been confirmed one way or the other by anyone on this site!). Clear as mud? Good

So Jilly - if you do make some enqs - do come back on here and tell us what they said about the PNP programme and if it can relate to ex-officers and/or other professions anyway. We've had several 'forces' people ask a similar question and I don't yet know what the answer is .... I can't see why PNP could not apply to anyone really ... but they might be limiting the places to current officers ...
i don't know the abpnp well enough but it might have to do with the pnp rules (and not what the police corps want or don't want...) about skill transfer / qualifications of the nominee... and in many jobs being to long away from it might not fit into the expectation that you land and run, so to speak.

difficulties in getting nomination as an apprentice in a field which is new to you touches a similar problem. it's probably different if the "apprenticeship" is just for learning the local specialities and getting ready for the red seal exam. but if you go and learn from scratch (and i guess it will be close to that if you've been away from a job for several years) - that's just not what the provinces are looking for, there are enough young canadians around who will join the work force fully trained in the same time frame. what they need are people who are going to work as a skilled worker as soon as they set their feet into that province.

just my 2 cents...
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mmm, I understand what you are saying. And I'd agree with that if they had a short 'adaptation' course for the CPS. But they currently make all UK officers do the whole 23 week training programme, with the new Canadian rookies, and they treat them like they are starting from scratch. And they don't have nearly enough Canadian applications, hence the requirement for a PNP.

I guess I think they could just as easily take an ex-army person, or navy or an electrician or whoever, if they had the correct skills and could pass the tests. They make you do all the training anyway, so these people would be at no disadvantage to the Canadian newbies !

There's be talk for years about a new, short course for UK transferees - my breath is still baited !!