Wages for LMO

Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:48 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wages for LMO

Originally Posted by jennlitt
This is a worrying issue for me. I'm going to be applying for an LMO soon for my current job (here on IEC) as production co-ordinator NOC 5226. The issue is I work at a theatre rather than for radio, tv, or film so the wages are below the average no matter what level you are because it's a theatre and there's no money in it!

We are intending on stating that on the form to explain why I'm paid under the average wage, do you think this will do anything to better my chances?
I would include anything that could be taken as proof that the wage you are being offered is the going rate for the job.
In your situation, the environment is the limiting factor in wages and it would be the same in any theatre role (as opposed to TV etc. where wages are higher).
If you state that and can back it up with facts, then when HRSDC do their research then they will find that to be true.

They are only trying to protect Canadian wage rates from being undermined by foreigners taking a low paid job just to get a foot in the door for PR. They don't have anything against foreign workers.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by helcat12
They did see you coming - there is no fee for the LMO!
The fee for the Temporary Work permit is $150 and that needs to be paid by the worker.
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Is that what HRSDC say is the average?

I'm confused, what exactly did you pay for? There is no fee payable at all for a LMO, and a Temp Work Permit is $150. So for two of you, the maximum due would have been $300 anyway (assuming you qualify for a SOWP of course, if not then it would only have been $150).
I just checked up on some early correspondence that we had with the immigration consultant that was hired by the employer. the consultant quoted them
"our service fee for the LMO is $600+tax and work permit is $350+ tax. The only other fee on top of this is paid to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for issuance of a work permit - $150 (no tax)."

So it seems you may be correct and that the fees were just a rip off by an immigration consultant.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 12:26 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heading-west
I just checked up on some early correspondence that we had with the immigration consultant that was hired by the employer. the consultant quoted them
"our service fee for the LMO is $600+tax and work permit is $350+ tax. The only other fee on top of this is paid to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for issuance of a work permit - $150 (no tax)."

So it seems you may be correct and that the fees were just a rip off by an immigration consultant.
That is a shame that happened - I thought you had undertaken everything yourselves. I am not sure why the consultant charged $350 for a work permit - as I understood it, you drove to the border to collect your WP didn't you - so no paperwork was required to be completed by the Immigration Consultant.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
That is a shame that happened - I thought you had undertaken everything yourselves. I am not sure why the consultant charged $350 for a work permit - as I understood it, you drove to the border to collect your WP didn't you - so no paperwork was required to be completed by the Immigration Consultant.
sadly we were badly duped on this occasion Amy as we didint know any better and couldnt find any information anywhere else.
We found out when we got to the border that the forms were not needed, and I confess to feeling rather angry at being stung yet again.

This is what this forum is for, its about sharing information.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 12:35 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

sadly we were badly duped on this occasion Amy as we didint know any better and couldnt find any information anywhere else.
We found out when we got to the border that the forms were not needed, and I confess to feeling rather angry at being stung yet again.

I would have assumed June would have had access to this info for you.

The reason your LMO may have gone through on $12.50 an hour probably relates to the area of NS that you live in and the fact that they would be hard pushed to find anyone else - thereby allowing them to get away with paying your Husband less.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 1:04 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry that this has happened to you.
I hope others reading this are forewarned.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Very sorry that this has happened to you.
I hope others reading this are forewarned.
Thanks

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I would have assumed June would have had access to this info for you.
As you know June is a relocation expert not an immigration consultant and she advised us to check any queries we had about immigration with the relevant consultant who was dealing with us. We were duped by a very poor immigration consultant who I will be happy to name by pm if you are interested.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:25 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

As you know June is a relocation expert not an immigration consultant and she advised us to check any queries we had about immigration with the relevant consultant who was dealing with us. We were duped by a very poor immigration consultant who I will be happy to name by pm if you are interested.
By the sounds of it even if you had checked with the consultant they would probably have spoon fed you with their own reasons for having to pay for it.

What a shame that you didn't have this forum / others to call on for advice before all this happened
Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
By the sounds of it even if you had checked with the consultant they would probably have spoon fed you with their own reasons for having to pay for it.

What a shame that you didn't have this forum / others to call on for advice before all this happened
As you may already know I have been a member on here for some time. I scanned all available info on these forums and was unable to find out if we actually needed this work permit paperwork. When we asked our consultant if we needed it she simply said that she would fill out the forms for us and then announced how much it was afterwards. She would not issue the forms until we had paid either.
She would not have been paid at all if we had gone to the border prior to paying her bill. she even delayed us going to the border by 2 days just so she could fill the paperwork out. (something I could have done on line myself as it turns out!)

This forum is a great place to find info but its also a very aggressive playground for some folks on here and perhaps that influences the type of info that we have available. Personal vendettas for instance will comes across more strongly than relevant information.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:20 pm

Thanks

I would be interested to know who they were - thank you. Are they NS based?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

JakeCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

They did see you coming - there is no fee for the LMO!
The fee for the Temporary Work permit is $150 and that needs to be paid by the worker.
You seem to know what your talking about, the thing that bothers me is that in my area my wage is actually the going rate for someone in the same field? The NOC says its like $21-25 but there are never any web design/developer jobs in this area for that amount? Do you think I have a shot if I provide proof that this is the going rate for this area? If they check the job bank in Owen Sound area there are actually no jobs for a web designer at this time and haven't been for like 7-8 months? So would I stand a good chance if my wage is $16 or no? I think I could get my boss up to around $18 if I try. What do you think ? Am I best just getting married? lol
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We were duped by a very poor immigration consultant who I will be happy to name by pm if you are interested.
You are welcome to name him/her on the open forum if you wish - often people considering using a consultant will do a search on here for the company, and it may just give other people considering using him/her valuable feedback on the service you received.

This forum is a great place to find info but its also a very aggressive playground for some folks on here and perhaps that influences the type of info that we have available. Personal vendettas for instance will comes across more strongly than relevant information.
Any of this type of thing should not spill over in to the immigration section of the forum, so you shouldn't have encountered this here. We do work quite heard to ensure that the 'banter' between certain members is kept to the Maple Leaf and/or main section of the forum - the immigration section is supposed to be for 'serious' enquiries. If you have any issue with anything that has been said, and you feel it breaks site rules, feel free to use the report button and we'll take action if necessary.

Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:11 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by JakeCanada
You seem to know what your talking about, the thing that bothers me is that in my area my wage is actually the going rate for someone in the same field? The NOC says its like $21-25 but there are never any web design/developer jobs in this area for that amount? Do you think I have a shot if I provide proof that this is the going rate for this area? If they check the job bank in Owen Sound area there are actually no jobs for a web designer at this time and haven't been for like 7-8 months? So would I stand a good chance if my wage is $16 or no? I think I could get my boss up to around $18 if I try. What do you think ? Am I best just getting married? lol
I cannot really comment on how they will view your particular job and LMO application but HRSDC do look at individual applications on their own merits and if you can prove that the wage is appropriate for the job and the area then they would be able to verify this when they do their checks.

Web designers can work remotely, I assume, so geographical area may not be as much of an influence as it would be for a land-based job.

I would point out issue with the wage range on the site to your employer and see what you can do to bridge the gap a little and then make your best efforts to justify the wage he eventually offers.
It is in his interest to do this, as if he fails, he doesn't get his employee.
After all, the LMO is applied for by the employer, not the employee.

Good Luck!

Including everything that is relevant will improve your chances.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

JakeCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot really comment on how they will view your particular job and LMO application but HRSDC do look at individual applications on their own merits and if you can prove that the wage is appropriate for the job and the area then they would be able to verify this when they do their checks.

Web designers can work remotely, I assume, so geographical area may not be as much of an influence as it would be for a land-based job.

I would point out issue with the wage range on the site to your employer and see what you can do to bridge the gap a little and then make your best efforts to justify the wage he eventually offers.
It is in his interest to do this, as if he fails, he doesn't get his employee.
After all, the LMO is applied for by the employer, not the employee.

Good Luck!

Including everything that is relevant will improve your chances.
Thanks for your feedback, its appreciated. Infact my job does involve that I be in the office, I have to provide web support and sell to customers etc.. I'm just going to give it a shot and ask my boss if he is willing to pay me more.. If he doesn't well ill go from there and try my best - worst comes to worst I got a wife to be :P
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:01 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by JakeCanada
Thanks for your feedback, its appreciated. Infact my job does involve that I be in the office, I have to provide web support and sell to customers etc.. I'm just going to give it a shot and ask my boss if he is willing to pay me more.. If he doesn't well ill go from there and try my best - worst comes to worst I got a wife to be :P
Always have a Plan B!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.