Wages for LMO

Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

JakeCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wages for LMO

My wage is below average for the LMO for web developer and designer.. What amount would you say I need to get it too to have a positive LMO?
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wages for LMO

Your prospective employer is best placed to know what the "prevailing wage" is for your area, sector and skill set.

They will have to pay you *at least* this "prevailing wage" if they want a chance of getting permission to employ you. That, and they'll need to prove that no Canadian or permanent resident is willing or able to do the job.

Last edited by FlyingDutchman6666; Feb 28th 2012 at 8:57 pm. Reason: Clarify it a bit.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JakeCanada
My wage is below average for the LMO for web developer and designer.. What amount would you say I need to get it too to have a positive LMO?
I think it has to be "average" right?? Might be wrong but you've had a lot of reads of your post and no replies.

Am sure someone in the know will come along and help if my answer is wrong (it might well be!)

Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You can look it up on the HRSDC website - bear in mind it must be at the higher end of the 'average' scale to qualify for a LMO.

HTH.

Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Christmasoompa, thanks for pointing that out. Do you know where on the HRSDC website it can be looked up? I've had a quick look around but no luck.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

JakeCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

So your saying if it doesn't go above average I will be refused? Why would they put the low scale on their tool thing ? Anyone have the link to the tool I can't find it again?

Wish my boss would just pay me more. Im waiting to see if I get accepted with the IEC but i've been out the UK for 18months so I doubt it - they still haven't got back to me.. wish they would just tell me already.

I have another option if I get rejected but would really like to not be out of work.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This link for info

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...sessment.shtml
Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:24 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look here for an idea of wage scales for your job in your specific area of Canada - http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/con...lang=eng&cid=1
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:04 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JakeCanada
So your saying if it doesn't go above average I will be refused? Why would they put the low scale on their tool thing ? Anyone have the link to the tool I can't find it again?

Wish my boss would just pay me more. Im waiting to see if I get accepted with the IEC but i've been out the UK for 18months so I doubt it - they still haven't got back to me.. wish they would just tell me already.

I have another option if I get rejected but would really like to not be out of work.
The 'tool' thing is an actual reflection of what is paid to those working in the NOC code at all levels of the role from newbie to the most senior.

HRSDC naturally assume that if the employer is offering below-average pay then they must be looking for someone with lower experience and lesser qualifications.
They seem to think that if this is the case then the employer could either find or train a Canadian to do the job at that level.

A more experienced or higher qualified person might be more difficult to find in Canada and HRSDC would expect the employer to have offered a much higher salary to attract the right level of applicant, whether from Canada or abroad.

A friend of ours had his LMO refused because he was being paid below the average for his NOC.
Once the employer raised it above the average and reapplied (all the rest of the details being the same) it was approved.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 11:04 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
The 'tool' thing is an actual reflection of what is paid to those working in the NOC code at all levels of the role from newbie to the most senior.

HRSDC naturally assume that if the employer is offering below-average pay then they must be looking for someone with lower experience and lesser qualifications.
They seem to think that if this is the case then the employer could either find or train a Canadian to do the job at that level.

A more experienced or higher qualified person might be more difficult to find in Canada and HRSDC would expect the employer to have offered a much higher salary to attract the right level of applicant, whether from Canada or abroad.

A friend of ours had his LMO refused because he was being paid below the average for his NOC.
Once the employer raised it above the average and reapplied (all the rest of the details being the same) it was approved.
The rules are that you are not allowed to be paid under what a Canadian would expect to be paid for the same position - so if the expected wage is below what is stated on workingin then you would expect your LMO to be refused.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 11:24 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
The rules are that you are not allowed to be paid under what a Canadian would expect to be paid for the same position - so if the expected wage is below what is stated on workingin then you would expect your LMO to be refused.
The problem is that a wage range is given for the NOC because it encompasses all levels of experience within the NOC.

The wage that is being offered for these LMO applications is not below the lower limit so I can see why applicants are complaining that their wage was within the range but they still got rejected on the grounds of the wage being too low.

Employers sometimes think that they can get away with paying a wage below the average while seeking to employ someone with above average experience in the NOC because they think that HRSDC won't know that is what they are doing.

HRSDC seem to have sussed this and when they see the wage below average for the NOC they seem to most often reject it.
If the post is junior level, then why can't you either find a Canadian or train one? seems to be their logic.

A below average wage causes concern that the employer hasn't been trying hard enough in pay terms to attract suitable Canadians and so that is why they want to hire a foreigner.
HRSDC's remit is to make sure Canadian jobs go to Canadians whenever possible and so if they think this is the case then they will reject the LMO.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
.... bear in mind it must be at the higher end of the 'average' scale to qualify for a LMO.

HTH.

Christmasoompa this was not the case for my husband. His trade get paid 13 to 18 dollars per hourly, with the experience he has he was easily worth 18 dollars of anybodys money imho. and in the city they get paid up to $24.

Anyway the LMO was put through as 12.50 per hour and then we had to pay the entire LMO/work permit fees barring a $150 dollar contribution from teh employer..and we had to fight for that.

Basically I think they saw us coming, but we were so pleased to find an employer that was willing to go through with the application process. And at least we are over here living our new Canadian life.

Hubbie will be looking for new work as soon as we can get him out of there.

roll on our PR!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heading-west
Christmasoompa this was not the case for my husband. His trade get paid 13 to 18 dollars per hourly, with the experience he has he was easily worth 18 dollars of anybodys money imho. and in the city they get paid up to $24.
Is that what HRSDC say is the average?

then we had to pay the entire LMO/work permit fees barring a $150 dollar contribution from teh employer..and we had to fight for that.
I'm confused, what exactly did you pay for? There is no fee payable at all for a LMO, and a Temp Work Permit is $150. So for two of you, the maximum due would have been $300 anyway (assuming you qualify for a SOWP of course, if not then it would only have been $150).
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

jennlitt is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a worrying issue for me. I'm going to be applying for an LMO soon for my current job (here on IEC) as production co-ordinator NOC 5226. The issue is I work at a theatre rather than for radio, tv, or film so the wages are below the average no matter what level you are because it's a theatre and there's no money in it!

We are intending on stating that on the form to explain why I'm paid under the average wage, do you think this will do anything to better my chances?
Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:42 pm
Island life at last

Anyway the LMO was put through as 12.50 per hour and then we had to pay the entire LMO/work permit fees barring a $150 dollar contribution from teh employer..and we had to fight for that.

Basically I think they saw us coming, but we were so pleased to find an employer that was willing to go through with the application process. And at least we are over here living our new Canadian life.

Hubbie will be looking for new work as soon as we can get him out of there.

roll on our PR!
They did see you coming - there is no fee for the LMO!
The fee for the Temporary Work permit is $150 and that needs to be paid by the worker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.