Volunteering in Canada

Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Volunteering in Canada

Hello everyone. I did read about this on here sometime ago but cannot find it now when i do a search.

Can anyone please tell me >whilst i am awaiting for my PR, if i am able to volunteer within my future step sons school . Do i need to apply for anything from CIC.. ..?

Thanks.......also..this volunteering may be as simple as listening to the kids read....(is part of a parent/child thing)...or helping out in the school library. Thanks Again. *S*
Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:58 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: Volunteering in Canada

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
Hello everyone. I did read about this on here sometime ago but cannot find it now when i do a search.

Can anyone please tell me >whilst i am awaiting for my PR, if i am able to volunteer within my future step sons school . Do i need to apply for anything from CIC.. ..?

Thanks.......also..this volunteering may be as simple as listening to the kids read....(is part of a parent/child thing)...or helping out in the school library. Thanks Again. *S*
I think as long as you are not paied, thereas not potentially taking a job from a canadian you should be ok, but in this case I am just trying to apply common sense, so I am probably wrong.

PS How old are your new kids?
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

jorja is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been trying to answer this question for myself but can't find a concrete answer on the CIC website, except the excerpt below. It has been suggested on the Canadian Immigration forum a few times that volunteering is a breach of your conditions of stay as a visitor. I think the idea against it is you're possibly taking an opportunity or job away from a Canadian. If you find an official answer to this question, let me know!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/irpa/fs-workers.html

WHAT IS CONSIDERED WORK

The Act defines work as an activity for which an employee is paid a wage or commission, or one that competes with activities in the Canadian job market. In addition, work can also include some self-employment and unpaid employment to gain desirable work experience, such as a student internship.

WHAT IS NOT CONSIDERED WORK

The definition of work does not include:

- incidental volunteer work for which someone wouldn't normally be paid
- providing unpaid help to a friend or family member during a visit
- long-distance work (i.e. by telephone or Internet) by a visitor whose employer is outside of Canada
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mhhp
I think as long as you are not paied, thereas not potentially taking a job from a canadian you should be ok, but in this case I am just trying to apply common sense, so I am probably wrong.

PS How old are your new kids?
tried to answer this ..but it wouldn't post for me...will try again....

yes i have been trying to apply common sense...but i have learned a long time ago....what is common sense for me ..generaly isn't for others...

my new step daughter is 13..and her brother is 6..i am the luckiest girl ..as these are great kids..and are so excited about me coming back *VBS*~...
how old are your kids...?.......
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jorja
I've been trying to answer this question for myself but can't find a concrete answer on the CIC website, except the excerpt below. It has been suggested on the Canadian Immigration forum a few times that volunteering is a breach of your conditions of stay as a visitor. I think the idea against it is you're possibly taking an opportunity or job away from a Canadian. If you find an official answer to this question, let me know!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/irpa/fs-workers.html

WHAT IS CONSIDERED WORK

The Act defines work as an activity for which an employee is paid a wage or commission, or one that competes with activities in the Canadian job market. In addition, work can also include some self-employment and unpaid employment to gain desirable work experience, such as a student internship.

WHAT IS NOT CONSIDERED WORK

The definition of work does not include:

- incidental volunteer work for which someone wouldn't normally be paid
- providing unpaid help to a friend or family member during a visit
- long-distance work (i.e. by telephone or Internet) by a visitor whose employer is outside of Canada

yes i have read this awell..and read other bits and pieces on here aswell. I think i will contact CIC when i am ready to start thinking about doing some volunteer work and get it straight from them.

Also..i do like their definition. I have co-ordinated volunteer prgrams before. And one of my struggles ..was the issue of management in Aged Care facilities wanting volunteers to do the work ..that could have been and should have been a payed position. There is a clear fine line between taking the paying position away from another. They just never seemed to get it. *hence my validation to my above post on common sense*

Anyways...to me ...volunteering perhaps within a volunteer organisation..say for instance....the cancer council..or red cross.....somewhere that has a volunteer program..would probably be the best bet.

Now that i re-read what you have posted...i see that ..my helping out at the local school would be fine. As it is not taking the work away from a payed position. As the school has these helping out...or volunteer programs happening all the time.
I will let you know ..if i find out any further concrete info. And thanks for your response. As it has helped.. *S*
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:33 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
tried to answer this ..but it wouldn't post for me...will try again....

yes i have been trying to apply common sense...but i have learned a long time ago....what is common sense for me ..generaly isn't for others...

my new step daughter is 13..and her brother is 6..i am the luckiest girl ..as these are great kids..and are so excited about me coming back *VBS*~...
how old are your kids...?.......
2 (boy) and 4 (girl).
From what I heard I am not sure I am ready for a 13-year old girl yet. Let me know what its like, I definitely need some good news on that section of life.