Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visitors visa while waiting for nominee NS

Visitors visa while waiting for nominee NS

Old May 5th 2015, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Visitors visa while waiting for nominee NS

Hello everyone & good day,

Hope you don't mind but I have a few questions and would really appreciate people's views and experiences

So, we have applied for Nova Scotia nominee through the skilled worker demand express entry at the start of February (which still hasn't been assessed for completeness yet) let alone processed!

Anyhow we are thinking of coming over on a visitor visa for 6 months while we are waiting and wondered if anyone else has done this?

Also if we are granted nominee while there we will obviously have to flagpole to activate our nominee/ permits. Has anyone done this before?

If I was to recieve a job offer while we were over and nominee hadn't been recieved, could I apply for a work permit? And would the job offer need to have a LMIA?

Last but no means least if we came over on visitors visa the children would not be attending school until we have nominee or is there a temporary study visa that we could apply for?
Many thanks in advance
Old May 5th 2015, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitors visa while waiting for nominee NS

Originally Posted by newlife_canada
Hello everyone & good day,

Hope you don't mind but I have a few questions and would really appreciate people's views and experiences

So, we have applied for Nova Scotia nominee through the skilled worker demand express entry at the start of February (which still hasn't been assessed for completeness yet) let alone processed!

Anyhow we are thinking of coming over on a visitor visa for 6 months while we are waiting and wondered if anyone else has done this?

Also if we are granted nominee while there we will obviously have to flagpole to activate our nominee/ permits. Has anyone done this before?

If I was to recieve a job offer while we were over and nominee hadn't been recieved, could I apply for a work permit? And would the job offer need to have a LMIA?

Last but no means least if we came over on visitors visa the children would not be attending school until we have nominee or is there a temporary study visa that we could apply for?
Many thanks in advance
Yes you could enter as visitors for up to 6 months but no guarantee it would be processed in that time and you would have to show proof that your application is in process and still no guarantee CBSA would give you 6 months.
Depending on the job if a LMIA is required that process could take several weeks and its finding an employer to pay the $1000 and proving no Canadian can do that job or have applied whereas if you entered with your NS PNP support letter at a later date then no need for the LMIA and you could start working straight away.
What happens if you didn't get accepted for the NS PNP?
Not trying to put a damper on things but Id wait until at least you have been accepted by NS and have been issued the nomination letter and then move across and get issued with the open work permit on arrival and visitor records for the children until you receive your COPR forms.
Too many risks in my view.
Old May 6th 2015, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Also keep in mind that there is two parts to this process. Provincial and Federal. When I got my NSNP letter It took three months. Then another three months to get my application accepted by CiC. NSNP is taking much longer then 3 months. Once you get your letter from NSNP you will then need to apply to CiC which has not been a quick process as of recent. In that time you still would not be able to get SIN numbers or NS health care or jobs. It might take up to a year to complete.
Old May 6th 2015, 4:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not trying to put a damper on things but Id wait until at least you have been accepted by NS and have been issued the nomination letter and then move across and get issued with the open work permit on arrival and visitor records for the children until you receive your COPR forms.
Too many risks in my view.
+1. Moving on a visitor visa when you've got kids that won't be eligible for healthcare or schools is too big a risk imo, but if you're fully prepared to return to the UK if you don't get nomination in time or your application gets refused then I guess it's a risk you may decide to go ahead with.

Good luck whatever you decide.