Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

A visitor's Visa...we really need help.

Wikiposts

A visitor's Visa...we really need help.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 9:34 am
Adb

Default A visitor's Visa...we really need help.

Hi to all.

I am a Canadian Citizen, born and raised. I recently married the woman of my dreams,
she is Bulgarian. I traveled to Sofia 3 times already this year, the last in July
when the wedding took place. Now for the problem. Only now we have prepared all the
necessary paper work and supporting documents for the immigration for my wife to come
to live here in our home in New Brunswick. But as of yet I have not filed, as we are
awaiting an interview for a visitor visa.

First Question: I have been told not to submit the immigration until after the
Visitor Visa interview. Is this the proper approach?

The Consul staff informed me when in Sofia, in all likelihood the visa will be
rejected. I asked on what grounds, and she replied they do not need any grounds to
reject. Back here in Canada I contacted my Member of Parliament to ask for
assisistence. He informed me it is virtually impossible to obtain a visitor visa if
you are married. Now to me this sounds like discrimination.

Question 2: Is there a constitutional issue here, with the Canadian Government
restricting access to my wife?

Still I do have a meeting scheduled with my MP tomorrow morning to discuss the
possibility of him contacting the consul in Sofia, and the Canadian Embassy in
Romania to give his reconditions for approval, but at the same time he tells me it
will probably fall on deaf ears.

Question 3: With a call from a Member of Parliament, can the interview be wavered?

My wife’s passport and application were sent by the Canadian Consul staff in Sofia,
Bulgaria to the Canadian Embassy in Bucharest, Romania where the visa must be
processed. This past Monday the consul staff called my wife and told here to be
present at the consulate on August 21 for an interview. I see from the CIC website on
visitor visa’s, it is very important to convince the officer conducting the interview
that you will return to your country before the visa expires. My wife is not working
at this time, she is caring for her 11 year old daughter. It would be my belief this
would be proof enough she will return, as her daughter will stay with her grandmother
while my wife visits. But apparently this is not reason enough; it is a fininacl
reason our government looks for, a high paying job or property in her home country.
So I guess it is the same old story, money talks.

Question 4: Can anyone please give us advice on this interview, what will be asked
and what will be expected? And if rejected, what are our options?

Thanks to all who took the time to read, sorry for being so long winded. And many
thanks to anyone who can help us with some of these questions.

[email protected]

Andrew