Wikiposts

visitors visa

Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:30 am
Just Joined

bbbbbbbbbbb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visitors visa

hello,

been looking for site like this for a long time.

what i wanted to ask and i hope there is someone on these forums tht can help me is the following.

uk citizen wishing to spend 6 months upto not sure yet in canada on visitors visa. i know have to go through immigration and prove tht i do in fact need to come back to the uk after the 6 months is over and prove tht i have enough money in my bank account.

i work in 3d design in the uk and wanted to find out before i go so i dont break any laws which will ruin if i even want to come back to canada again! if it is possible to be in canada, not work there taking jobs from people who are allowed to work in canada but still be able to do contracting work in canada from client in the uk? i dont want to be sat at a desk all day working in 3d as tht is the main reason why i want to take break for a while but wanted to know am i breaking any laws doing this as i would like to maybe if i enjoy come back to canada again?

it would be if after 4 months need little extra money to maybe do one project while i am there but i wouldnt do it if it is illegal! if it is acceptable if they class it as me not taking work from canadian citizens would i then be paying tax to the tax department in canada? you see obviously i want to go to british columbia and visit , vancouver , victoria and travel across to edmonton to calgary and then to toronto and finish up at the end of my tour at niagra falls before going back to vancouver airport.. i do have family there in canada but they are my aunt and uncle and my direct family, parents brother and sister are all in the uk. i would probably be spending short while with them, maybe one month at the start of trip and one month at the end, is tht likely to cause problems because i am not renting somewhere and contributing to the economy? sorry tht must sound silly question but want to make sure i am doing everything right!

after i come back have to work again doing my 3d work and contracting for banks and telecommunications upgrading from windows 2000 to windows xp. later on and i dont mean now, if i wanted to come across as skilled worker if i am contractor would tht mean i cannot do the skilled workers app because it is not full time work? for now it is more i want to take break from work and spend time travelling around, i have been to china for a few months came back and then went to madrid and came back and i have been to canada 3 times so far for weddings.. each being 2-2 months stay. any advice i would be grateful and thank you for reading.

uk_25
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:38 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visitors visa

I'm under the impression that one is not allowed to work for money while one is a visitor in Canada.

On the other hand, if you're working remotely, via the Internet, I don't see how anyone could or would find out about it.

But then, if you're under 35 years of age, you could get a 12-month working holiday visa through BUNAC. That would enable you to do any kind of work you like, anywhere in Canada.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:48 am
Just Joined

hello,

i have seen bunac site from actually references from this forum but they are saying there are no more spaces for this year and new applications will be accepted some time in dec 2007.

thank you for responding to me so quickly too. i did look on the internet, google searched aswell and still couldnt find anything what was clear. i dont want to be risking any chance of me coming back to canada in the future if i decide to come again so dont want to be doing anything illegally...!

i was bit confused because some writers come over to canada and take time out to write and then when they come back to whatever country they publish there work ...

i thought it was more you do not come over to canada and work in canada for canadian companies because that is taking work from the actual canadian citizen.. maybe i should give uk canadian website a call and try to get them to clarify for me? thank you again for responding back to me, it is appreciated...
Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:27 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bbbbbbbbbbb
if it is possible to be in canada, not work there taking jobs from people who are allowed to work in canada but still be able to do contracting work in canada from client in the uk? i dont want to be sat at a desk all day working in 3d as tht is the main reason why i want to take break for a while but wanted to know am i breaking any laws doing this as i would like to maybe if i enjoy come back to canada again?
You can telecommute to your UK job, but it has to be an employment, not contracting, and you will have to be paid salary in UK. Contracting (regardless where client is located) is a self-employment and you can't do it in Canada without proper work permit. Register company in UK and let your company be a contractor, you be an employee paid in UK - this way you can telecommute.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:43 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You can telecommute to your UK job, but it has to be an employment, not contracting, and you will have to be paid salary in UK. Contracting (regardless where client is located) is a self-employment and you can't do it in Canada without proper work permit. Register company in UK and let your company be a contractor, you be an employee paid in UK - this way you can telecommute.
That is a really useful tip, Andrew.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

hello,

thank you for replying so quickly -

im already co - director of company based in the uk, vat registered and the money would be in GBP as it is from uk client. would it be problem tht i am co - director of the company though? wouldnt that still be classed as self employed? sorry little confused but want to get everything right before i go.

i looked at bunac site and was thinking maybe to do year in canada... but if i have came over on visitors visa for under 6 months with uk passport would that mean when i get to the immigration desk this would be perceived bad that i came on visitors visa for 6 months and then on bunac visa? (not what i am planning to do but thought it is option ) it is not my plan on doing this i am just trying to understand what i can and exactly what i cant do. is important to me to make sure i do everything right. im just looking at different ways i can do things correctly. thank you again for responding back so quickly it does mean alot to me and your advice is appreciated.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:53 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

hello,

thank you for replying so quickly -

im already co - director of company based in the uk, vat registered and the money would be in GBP as it is from uk client. would it be problem tht i am co - director of the company though? wouldnt that still be classed as self employed? sorry little confused but want to get everything right before i go.

i
If your business is incorporated in the UK ie Limited Liability Company, registered as such at companies house (for this you will have a certificate of incorporation) then as a director you are an employee, not self employed. Corporations are an independent entity, they have owners (shareholders) and employees (people who manage and work for the company), sometimes they are one and the same, other times they may be separate of each other. Many limited companies have multiple directors.

VAT registration has nothing to do with the business structure.

If your business is not registered as a Limited Company and you own a part of the business, you would likely be classified as a partner, this is self employed.

Companies House FAQs
http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/inf...fullList.shtml
Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:21 am
Just Joined

hello,

really thank you for all your help, the business is registered as a Limited Company so that is the best news i could have possibly heard. liked to thank everyone that replied and what read. thank you.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:25 pm
tmb
Forum Regular

tmb is on a distinguished road

hello,

been looking for site like this for a long time.

what i wanted to ask and i hope there is someone on these forums tht can help me is the following.

uk citizen wishing to spend 6 months upto not sure yet in canada on visitors visa. i know have to go through immigration and prove tht i do in fact need to come back to the uk after the 6 months is over and prove tht i have enough money in my bank account.

i work in 3d design in the uk and wanted to find out before i go so i dont break any laws which will ruin if i even want to come back to canada again! if it is possible to be in canada, not work there taking jobs from people who are allowed to work in canada but still be able to do contracting work in canada from client in the uk? i dont want to be sat at a desk all day working in 3d as tht is the main reason why i want to take break for a while but wanted to know am i breaking any laws doing this as i would like to maybe if i enjoy come back to canada again?

it would be if after 4 months need little extra money to maybe do one project while i am there but i wouldnt do it if it is illegal! if it is acceptable if they class it as me not taking work from canadian citizens would i then be paying tax to the tax department in canada? you see obviously i want to go to british columbia and visit , vancouver , victoria and travel across to edmonton to calgary and then to toronto and finish up at the end of my tour at niagra falls before going back to vancouver airport.. i do have family there in canada but they are my aunt and uncle and my direct family, parents brother and sister are all in the uk. i would probably be spending short while with them, maybe one month at the start of trip and one month at the end, is tht likely to cause problems because i am not renting somewhere and contributing to the economy? sorry tht must sound silly question but want to make sure i am doing everything right!

after i come back have to work again doing my 3d work and contracting for banks and telecommunications upgrading from windows 2000 to windows xp. later on and i dont mean now, if i wanted to come across as skilled worker if i am contractor would tht mean i cannot do the skilled workers app because it is not full time work? for now it is more i want to take break from work and spend time travelling around, i have been to china for a few months came back and then went to madrid and came back and i have been to canada 3 times so far for weddings.. each being 2-2 months stay. any advice i would be grateful and thank you for reading.

uk_25
Hi, I am interested in what you say about you know how to get through immigration to stay for 6 months on a visitors visa. I amm about top leave for Cannad next week and have flights booked for just under six months do I need anything specific other than the return flight to be aloud to stay?

Regards
TMB
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

hey,

from what i heard it is completely up to he officer on site. you have to have reason to stay for so long, what are your plans to do there and proof tht you have enough money in your account so tht you can support yourself over there and not take money of the government etc.

any type of proof tht you are going to go back too... its good that you have return ticket. i guess what would help also is that you have travelled somewhere else before too. you know that you have had visa before and you have leaved on specific date.

make sure that you are medically fit to go across aswell.. i was planning when i go to go to my doctors just to get some type of proof, i know you dont need from doctor but thought the more things i take with me the more things i can show that i meet all the right criteria for a tourist visa. id suggest from what i have read from this site is to make sure you have some type of itinerary. some rough idea of how you are going to spend you time there. i guess it helps if your direct family are living in the uk too. you can show that your commitments are in the uk. i would do what i have been doing and run a search on this forum for as much detail as possible.

I have one more quick question -

i looked on my old passport because i have been to canada for short periods 3 times already but wanted to know i looked for the stamps of canada and none of them had any type of date marked on them...it was stamp just saying canada. was this visitors visa or is this different to visitors stamp? also uk passport holder so do you still get visitors visa stamp even though it is under the amount of time for you to get visa? little confused about that...thank you again...

once again thank you all and tmb do let us know how it goes when you go over. good luck...

Last edited by bbbbbbbbbbb; Sep 14th 2007 at 10:10 pm. Reason: forgot to do spell check
Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:19 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

I have one more quick question -

i looked on my old passport because i have been to canada for short periods 3 times already but wanted to know i looked for the stamps of canada and none of them had any type of date marked on them...it was stamp just saying canada. was this visitors visa or is this different to visitors stamp? also uk passport holder so do you still get visitors visa stamp even though it is under the amount of time for you to get visa? little confused about that...thank you again...

once again thank you all and tmb do let us know how it goes when you go over. good luck...
Every time you enter Canada, Immigration will stamp your passport on entry with the date of arrival. Usually they will hand write underneath that stamp how long it is valid for. When I used to come as a visitor, despite my visit only be for 3 -6 weeks, each stamp has a 6 month expiry date. After I became an LI (PR today) there was either and I or RR written under the entry stamp.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

The only time they wrote anything under my passport stamp was when I landed as a PR; I presume all the other trips defaulted to six months, though I only stayed a week or two.