Visitor Visa to Work Permit

Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

sixpence will become famous soon enoughsixpence will become famous soon enough
Default Visitor Visa to Work Permit

I know someone who is currently on visitor visa, he is from the philippines. He managed to find a job here with an approved LMO.

Correct me if Im right as I tried to tell him that he needs to file his application in the Philippines (country of residence) and that Change of Status is not applicable to his situation. He insists that he meets the requirement of having a 6 month valid stay in order apply for WP. Is this true?

Is he allowed to apply for WP while he is here in Canada on a visitor's visa? Or will he need to go back to the Philippines and process it there?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor Visa to Work Permit

Originally Posted by sixpence
I know someone who is currently on visitor visa, he is from the philippines. He managed to find a job here with an approved LMO.

Correct me if Im right as I tried to tell him that he needs to file his application in the Philippines (country of residence) and that Change of Status is not applicable to his situation. He insists that he meets the requirement of having a 6 month valid stay in order apply for WP. Is this true?

Is he allowed to apply for WP while he is here in Canada on a visitor's visa? Or will he need to go back to the Philippines and process it there?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
If he's got a valid LMO and job offer, then all he needs to do is 'flagpole' i.e. go to the nearest border and pick up his TWP there. He doesn't need to apply by post and is best not to as that can take several months whereas if he gets it in person he will have it instantly.

Have a read of these for more info..................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

sixpence will become famous soon enoughsixpence will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If he's got a valid LMO and job offer, then all he needs to do is 'flagpole' i.e. go to the nearest border and pick up his TWP there. He doesn't need to apply by post and is best not to as that can take several months whereas if he gets it in person he will have it instantly.

Have a read of these for more info..................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

Thanks for the tip! However I dont think he'd be able to do the flagpoling because as a Filipino, he is required to have a US tourist visa to be admissable (spelling?) in the US.

I still am confused as to whether he can actually apply from within canada when his current status is as a visitor. I remember reading somewhere in the CIC website that visitor's visa holder will have to apply for TWP from their country of residence.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of

You don't have to actually go into the US. You just get to the border, tell them you are flag-poling and they sort out the paperwork.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sixpence
I still am confused as to whether he can actually apply from within canada when his current status is as a visitor. I remember reading somewhere in the CIC website that visitor's visa holder will have to apply for TWP from their country of residence.
Read the links I gave you and you'll see that it's fine to apply for TWP from within Canada when on visitor status. Loads of people on here have done it.

No idea about him needing a visa to enter the US though.

Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:20 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Read the links I gave you and you'll see that it's fine to apply for TWP from within Canada when on visitor status. Loads of people on here have done it.

No idea about him needing a visa to enter the US though.

The OP also needs a medical, as s/he is from the Philippines so that limits the "flagpole"
Note that the visitors still need to obtain their TWP outside Canada, whether at a POE or overseas office, they can't apply in Canada to Vegreville.