Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visitor visa with spouse on IEC WHV

Visitor visa with spouse on IEC WHV

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Kayla63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visitor visa with spouse on IEC WHV

Hi, My husband an I are both from the UK and in the IEC WHV pool, he has received an ITA and I am trying to work out if/how I can go to Canada with him if I do not receive one (which seems the most likely case).

We are planning to use the Canadian work experience to gain EE points. My husband is a civil engineer and I am a retail manager. He is planning to get a job before flying out if possible.

From what I can work out I could fly out with him and stay as a visitor then apply for an OWP when he has the evidence that he is employed in a NOC A job.

There are a few things that I am concerned about and would appreciate any help, especially if there is anyone that has been in the same situation!

1. The main worry is that I will be turned away at the border. I would be quitting my job and do not own any property ect so would I appear likely to overstay?

2. Can I be honest about my intentions? I do not plan to work until gaining a work permit

3. I have a sufficient amount of money to support myself for at least 6 months and a flight home if necessary, but should I purchase a return ticket dated 6 months after arrival to prove I am willing to return home should I not receive a longer visitor visa?

4. Should I get travel insurance for 2 years in hope that they will grant me a longer visitor visa?

5. Do I ask for a longer visitor visa when I arrive at the border and what is the likelihood of getting it?

Sorry for for the amount of very specific questions but I want to know that going this route is possible before quitting my job! Thanks in advance for help with any of my questions!

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor visa with spouse on IEC WHV

I highly doubt you would be turned back unless they found you inadmissible ie a criminal or security risk etc. I would certainly mention that you intend to stay as a visitor for the 2 years and understand that once the husband has a job in NOC 0, A or B then you could apply for a spousal open work permit. I certainly advise getting medical coverage for the 2 years. No return ticket required.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the quick reply it was very helpful!

Another thing I am not sure about, would my husband need to state on his application that I am accompanying him or as I am entering as a visitor would it not be relevant?
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kayla63
Thank you for the quick reply it was very helpful!

Another thing I am not sure about, would my husband need to state on his application that I am accompanying him or as I am entering as a visitor would it not be relevant?
Not relevant on his application. I assume you would be flying out together and he would need to provide the ITA letter on arrival at the POE to get his work permit and that is when you would also get your visitor record.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:15 am
Just Joined

That’s great, thank you very much!
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 5:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kayla63
Hi, My husband an I are both from the UK and in the IEC WHV pool, he has received an ITA and I am trying to work out if/how I can go to Canada with him if I do not receive one (which seems the most likely case).

We are planning to use the Canadian work experience to gain EE points. My husband is a civil engineer and I am a retail manager. He is planning to get a job before flying out if possible.

From what I can work out I could fly out with him and stay as a visitor then apply for an OWP when he has the evidence that he is employed in a NOC A job.

There are a few things that I am concerned about and would appreciate any help, especially if there is anyone that has been in the same situation!

1. The main worry is that I will be turned away at the border. I would be quitting my job and do not own any property ect so would I appear likely to overstay?

2. Can I be honest about my intentions? I do not plan to work until gaining a work permit

3. I have a sufficient amount of money to support myself for at least 6 months and a flight home if necessary, but should I purchase a return ticket dated 6 months after arrival to prove I am willing to return home should I not receive a longer visitor visa?

4. Should I get travel insurance for 2 years in hope that they will grant me a longer visitor visa?

5. Do I ask for a longer visitor visa when I arrive at the border and what is the likelihood of getting it?

Sorry for for the amount of very specific questions but I want to know that going this route is possible before quitting my job! Thanks in advance for help with any of my questions!
Welcome to BE!

No apologies necessary - that's what we are here for - you ask away! Great that you have already done some research too!
Please note that Engineer is a Regulated Profession and a protected title in Canada and your husband will need to be certified/licensed in the Province in which he hopes to gain employment - until he has done so there is little point in applying for jobs.. he should start that licensing process now. You can read more here: https://newcomers.engineerscanada.ca/licensing-canada

Congrats on the ITA! First step in a long journey but well worth it in the end!
You should ask for a Visitor Record when you arrive as it may be for more than 6 months (rather than just a stamp in your passport) - if you need to extend the visitor status, you'll be able to do that online

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 3rd 2019 at 5:44 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply. He has taken some steps/done research in regards to licensing but the website that you have linked will be very helpful