Wikiposts

Visitor Visa and PR

Old Apr 19th 2001, 11:23 pm
Sly Madej

I've got a Visitor visa and I'd like to apply for PR in Canada. My problem
is: If I can stay in Canada if My immigration application is in Buffalo example?
Sholud I leave Canada or stay in Canada if I wait for interview?

thank you

--
Sly Madej

Old Apr 20th 2001, 2:42 am
Andrew Miller

You may stay in Canada while your application is being processed in Buffalo, for as
long as your visa is valid. Just remember that visa stamp or sticker in your passport
is only the permission to approach Canadian port of entry and ask for admission,
nothing more - so validity of that stamp or sticker has nothing to do with the time
you are allowed to stay when admitted to Canada. Usually visitor may stay in Canada
for up to 6 months, unless admitting immigration officer states otherwise and puts
the expiration date in your passport.

Processing time of your immigration application in Buffalo will take anywhere from 12
to 18+ months, so to be able to wait that long in Canada you will have to apply few
times for visitor visa extension, which may or may not be granted. Staying illegally
in Canada beyond validity of visitor visa granted at the port of entry will be the
reason for rejection of your immigration application.

As far as I understand you are Polish and currently residing there, so most likely
your application in Buffalo will not receive interview waiver and you will be
required to attend one there. For that you will need US visa - invitation for
interview in Canadian consulate in Buffalo will not help you getting US visa -
quite opposite, it may be a serious obstacle. So, think twice before submitting
your application to Buffalo or to any Canadian visa post in the country where you
need a visa to go to. Even if you get US visa and go to Buffalo for the interview
then you will most likely be declined entry to Canada on your way back, as you will
no longer be treated as visitor. You will have to wait outside Canada for your
immigration visa.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 20th 2001, 4:25 am
David Cohen

>
    >
    >

Your eligibility to remain in Canada will depend on the outcome of applications for
extension of your visitor status. As long as such applications are approved, you may
remain in Canada.

If you are required to attend an interview in the USA, you will need to ensure that
you have admission to re-enter Canada if you intend to do so.
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
[email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community