Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visitor Visa Extension or Visitor Visa (from in Canada)

Visitor Visa Extension or Visitor Visa (from in Canada)

Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor Visa Extension or Visitor Visa (from in Canada)

Siouxie is (of course) right.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 12th 2016 at 10:48 am.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

jammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Snowy, can you tell me why it is only giving me the option to apply for TRV made outside of Canada? I would have expected within Canada since she is here.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

As I said before: a TRV application is always an "outside of Canada" application. However, certain people are allowed to apply via Ottawa as this link explains, if they are in Canada with a Canadian residential address and are workers/students:

Apply for a new temporary resident visa from within Canada

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 12th 2016 at 11:21 am.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

jammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond reputejammy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, see below:

If you are a temporary resident in Canada with valid status (that is, you have a valid study permit or work permit), you can apply for a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada before you leave.

You can apply in Canada if:

you are a legally admitted student or foreign worker in Canada with a Canadian residential address (YES)

your current temporary resident status is still valid, and your existing visa counterfoil is expired or was valid for only one entry, and (YES) - her visa to enter the country is expired but her work permit is still valid

you need a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada in the near future.(YES) - she needs this to reenter.

Therefore, I am not clear as to why it is giving the out of Canada as the only option
Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

I am sorry but I cannot explain it any better than I have tried to do. Read what I wrote in #18.

You need to find someone you trust, believe what they are saying and go from there.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 12th 2016 at 11:31 am.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Nooo no no Snowy it is not about that at all. I am sorry if I gave that perception. All I am trying to do is to understand. I will proceed with the outside of Canada application, but it just goes to show how confusing this whole thing is because based on what you sent me above, she qualifies for In Canada application, but clearly I do not get that option after filling out the questionnaire. All I was trying to do was understand - sorry.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

It's okay. I know it's confusing.

You could try emailing but I don't know how they will respond if you don't have an app in process:

Questions about Temporary Resident Visa applications submitted within Canada

Instructions:

We will only answer questions sent in one of the official languages – English or French.
Make sure that you include your name, file number, date of birth and Unique Client Identifier (UCI) to help us identify your application.
Do not send repeat enquiries, this includes sending the same enquiry by multiple means, as it creates confusion and can delay our reply.
Fax: 613-946-6059

Email: [email protected]

This is the paper application set of forms which I think you've been given before:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...A#applications

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 12th 2016 at 11:50 am.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I love about IRCC (CIC) they don't make it straight forward

OP If I was you I would send in the application via paper as it appears to be easier to understand.

You start off with the document checklist as listed in the link below
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5721E.pdf

Filling out the application as found in Step 2 on this link
Applying for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa – IMM 5256)

The following are the forms that must be filled out and submitted:

Application for Temporary Resident Visa (IMM 5257) (PDF, 437.46 KB)
Family Information (IMM 5645 or IMM 5707)

In the details of visit to Canada you would put returning worker.

The actual website page for the latest Apply for a new TRV from within Canada can be found here
Apply for a new temporary resident visa from within Canada

I am just wondering why you were not issued a multiple entry visa as since 2014 most TRVs are multiple visas and valid for 10 years.
As of February 6, 2014, the issuance of a multiple-entry visa will be considered to be the standard and if an officer issues a single entry visa, the reasons are to be clearly entered in the case notes.
Im just hoping the OP doesn't say the trip is to the USA or St Pierre & Miquelon.

As they are in Canada then I also suggest using the 1 888 242 2100 help line number.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much. The reason that her entry permit was not the same length as her OWP was because she was at school here and I later applied for her PR (as my spouse). They then issued her an OWP whilst the PR application was/is being processed. Therefore, they sent the OWP but did not make any mention of the entry visa. The entry visa expired together with her school permit.

Hope this makes sense.

I actually submitted the document online again, before seeing your post here. I filled out the 5257 as a visitor applying outside of Canada. I did not fill out the 5645/5707 as I did not see that form anywhere together with the documents requested in the checklist. I hope that this is not an issue for us. I also cancelled the previous application that we had sent in on Oct 18 (requesting an extension of visa....) as per the feedback in here from others, this was the wrong form.

Man - this process is so easy and straightforward. It would take a complete idiot to not understand clearly what to do
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Did you put country of residence as Canada, with a Canadian residential address and provide a copy of her work permit?

S
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I did to all.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

You should have an application number now so you can always email Ottawa in due course.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 12th 2016 at 1:32 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, thanks I will if anything.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I concede it is confusing because IRCC call a TRV a "visitor visa" in some places. Just try to keep in mind that a TRV is different to having "Visitor" status in Canada. Your wife isn't a visitor: she's a worker but she does need a TRV to return to Canada which IRCC very confusingly also call a "visitor visa" sometimes.

Good luck!

S
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Just sent you a PM Snowy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.