Visitor Visa Extension Refusal

Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road
Angry Visitor Visa Extension Refusal

Hi world of expats... got a bad letter in the mail today, wondering if someone can help us out with explaing this.

My husband applied for a visitor extension in January 2-mos before his visit was due to expire...

We recieved a letter in the mail tday saying the request had been refused...due to us not providing proof of entry into Canada....

It indicated that he may apply for restoration if he is within 90 days from the expiry of his temporary resident status....which his visa was up on Feb 27th.

Can anyone give us any advice on restoration, and will this interfere with our application for sponsorship??

Thank you,
B
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Visitor Visa Extension Refusal

Apologies for the terrible typing, just very upset, feels like I muck everything up...we will never get a break.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Hey there,

Call up the people who refused the visa extension and ask them exactly which document they need him to supply - my friend had a refusal, and it was because she didn't send proof of her ongoing provincial nomination documents, she just mentioned that this is what she was doing on the application.

She called them, they were very helpful and said if she sent the proof, they would look at the application again. She was approved second time.

Good luck x
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for the reply. I think what we are missing is a photocopy of the page that has the stamp in his passport, which we didn't know we needed to provide....does this mean we have 90 days to submit a restoration or status?? i mean we know we need to deal with this right away, just unsure of so many thing.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:12 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
Hi thanks for the reply. I think what we are missing is a photocopy of the page that has the stamp in his passport, which we didn't know we needed to provide....does this mean we have 90 days to submit a restoration or status?? i mean we know we need to deal with this right away, just unsure of so many thing.
You have 90 days from the date that his status expired to apply for restoration.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:07 pm
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo

Hi BrennaBoo.....I had exactly the same letter back in November after I applied to extend my stay....and for the same reason, not providing proof of entry into Canada.

Anyway, by the time I got the letter my initial 6 months had been passed by two weeks. As I had provided all the info they required in my extension application, I emailed & called CIC to query the decision and was told that there was no appeal process, but that I could re-apply to extend my status. Handy as my status had by that time expired.
I quzzed them again on this and was told that I would therefore have to apply to restore my status as a temporary visitor...and pay $200 instead of the usual $75 for a visitor extension application!!

That application went off beginning of December and I am still waiting the decision. Current processing times are 129 days(CIC are currently processing applications recieved on October 26th 2010).

And as PMM mentioned, you have up to 90 days in which to apply to restore your temporary visitor status, and you are entitled to stay in Canada on 'implied status' until a decision is reached.

And for your info, I am almost ready to submit my spousal sponsorship application so your situation sounds almost identical to mine!

Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:44 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by leggy969
Hi BrennaBoo.....I had exactly the same letter back in November after I applied to extend my stay....and for the same reason, not providing proof of entry into Canada.

Anyway, by the time I got the letter my initial 6 months had been passed by two weeks. As I had provided all the info they required in my extension application, I emailed & called CIC to query the decision and was told that there was no appeal process, but that I could re-apply to extend my status. Handy as my status had by that time expired.
I quzzed them again on this and was told that I would therefore have to apply to restore my status as a temporary visitor...and pay $200 instead of the usual $75 for a visitor extension application!!

That application went off beginning of December and I am still waiting the decision. Current processing times are 129 days(CIC are currently processing applications recieved on October 26th 2010).

And as PMM mentioned, you have up to 90 days in which to apply to restore your temporary visitor status, and you are entitled to stay in Canada on 'implied status' until a decision is reached.

And for your info, I am almost ready to submit my spousal sponsorship application so your situation sounds almost identical to mine!

sounds like a money making thing to me... they delay so you have to restore your status which in turn costs you more money... we had the same thing last year!!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to kind of barge in on this thread, but I'm just about to submit my visitor visa extension and just wondered which address you listed as your 'home address' and which as your 'mailing address'? I'm not married, currently living with boyfriend on 6 month visitor visa trying to accumulate a years worth of living together before submitting our spousal sponsorship PR in the summer. Technically I suppose if I am a visitor then my home address should be one in the UK (I could use my parents one), but for the purposes of qualifying for common-law I need to say my home is here in Canada. Would they ever likely return back to my visitor visa renewal application and use it against me? I just don't want to jeopardise anything, so wondered what other's put. So far I've had some people say they told the truth and listed Canada as their home, but others opted to stay safe and list UK as home and put Canada as the mailing address. Ooooohh it is such a minefield.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:48 am
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
sorry to kind of barge in on this thread, but I'm just about to submit my visitor visa extension and just wondered which address you listed as your 'home address' and which as your 'mailing address'? I'm not married, currently living with boyfriend on 6 month visitor visa trying to accumulate a years worth of living together before submitting our spousal sponsorship PR in the summer. Technically I suppose if I am a visitor then my home address should be one in the UK (I could use my parents one), but for the purposes of qualifying for common-law I need to say my home is here in Canada. Would they ever likely return back to my visitor visa renewal application and use it against me? I just don't want to jeopardise anything, so wondered what other's put. So far I've had some people say they told the truth and listed Canada as their home, but others opted to stay safe and list UK as home and put Canada as the mailing address. Ooooohh it is such a minefield.

Hi victorfoxtrot,

firstly, Im not sure whether you're applying by the online method, or by the application form (IMM 1249), but assuming that you're doing the latter, then it's absolutely fine to put your Canadian address down as your residential address.
The form isn't asking for your home (other country) address, but your residential address in Canada. As far as I know, and the way I interpreted it, they just want to know the address you've been staying/living at during your visit.
As for 'mailing address', just put Not Applicable otherwise any/all correspondance you get back from CIC will go to the mailing address, and as you're here in Canada....that wouldn't be any good to you!

Hope this helps
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Leggy - Thanks for the advice. I was just going to do the online application....I hadn't even considered there might be a form I could fill out and mail. Surely they are the same though if they do the same thing if you see what I mean?
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian addresses are fine. They offer the option to provide a postal address because many people (such as myself) don't get postal delivery to their home and their postal address would therefore be a "PO Box", not a residential/street address...
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:18 am
Glory glory Man Utd.....

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
Hi Leggy - Thanks for the advice. I was just going to do the online application....I hadn't even considered there might be a form I could fill out and mail. Surely they are the same though if they do the same thing if you see what I mean?

Hi again,

The actual applications are slightly different. I did the online application first back in September, and whilst it may collate the same info from you it is difficult to use as you only get to view one question at a time. Therefore, you can't look at the whole 'online form' before filling it out, and hence the potential for mistakes/missing info.
My first (online) application was refused because I had 'failed to provide evidence of entry into Canada'.....but I had as I had sent a copy of my passport page where it had been stamped on entry!!

Anyway, when I reapplied to extend(and restore my status), I decided to do the standard 'paper form' and it was much more straightforward.

Plus the bonus of doing the paper form opposed to the online method is that currently the processing time is around 129 days, so in effect you could post the form to arrive just before your current 6 month expiry date, and get yourself 4 months of implied status before any decision is made!

I sent my forms on 3rd Dec and am still waiting to hear back from CIC.
And looking at the CIC website, they're currently processing applications recieved on 25th Oct so Im not really expecting to hear anything for maybe another 5-6 weeks, by which time my spousal sponsorship application should hopefully be at the 'Approved' stage.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

ok thanks for the tip. I will check out the paper form, which sounds like it might be easier and would involve less scanning of documents which I am a bit crap at!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Jayans253 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My parents were on visit visa in 2004 for six months and applied for a extension for six months, got it and end of the period they left. Again they came back in June 2008 on visit visa. They applied for a extension and got it for three months. During this time applied for PR through Humanitarian grounds. Their visit visa expired in June 2009 ( I was three weeks late in applying for the extension) When I sent the extension they sent all the docs bask asking me to fill a reinstate application together with fee and all the previous documents sent for the extension. Yesterday I received a letter saying that “After considering all the circumstances of this case, I am not satisfied that the requirements of the Act and Regulations have been met. Specifically you have not satisfied me that you remain a temporary resident willing to leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay. Your application is therefore refused’

I am not sure what to do now. My father is completely ill, cannot walk or talk, don’t think he will be allowed to travel. He got very weak last two years. They have no one back in Sri Lanka. My mother feed him, wash him, does everything. Sending him back is more of not a option. What can I do.. Thank for your kind help.