Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visitor Visa Denial, Advice Andrew

Visitor Visa Denial, Advice Andrew

Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:15 pm
ly1
Forum Regular

ly1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Visitor Visa Denial, Advice Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Strange is this case of my friend who was planning to Visit Canada this month.

1. She had been given a 2 year Multiple entry Visa to Canada valid till November 2007. She did not travel during the first 15 months of the visa and a travel agent advised her to inform the embassy as she did not travel for over a year after being granted the visa(I have never seen such a clause)

2. She sent her passport back to the Canadian embassy in UAE to get a clearance to travel in Aug 2007 for which she had a valid visa and behold he case was assessed again and the last 4 month of her visa was cancelled. She was granted only a single entry for 6 days which she is not interested. The officer mentioned he is bound by regulations and asked her to apply for another multiple entry in November when the old visa expires if she plans to come to Canada in December

Does any of this make sense. I thought one could travel anytime before the expiry of visa as long as the visa and passport are valid. Can you advice??

Thanks,
ly1

I am totally confused on this
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:39 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visitor Visa Denial, Advice Andrew

Of courser it makes sense, except what travel agent said. Person may arrive to Canadian port of entry on the last day of visa validity and still be granted admission for up to 6 months. Visa posts don't decide about duration of admission, they only decide the duration of visa. And remember that visa is only a permit allowing holder to come to Canadian port of entry within validity period specified in such visa and to ask for admission. Examining officer at the port of entry may grant or may refuse admission and will decide how long admission to grant.

Applying for new visa when the old is still valid was pointless and I don't really understand why your friend listened to moron agent. But new application once received had to be assessed and if new visa was granted then obviously the old one had to be cancelled.

Now tell your friend to blame herself and agent.