Visitor Visa?

Old May 22nd 2011, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Amanderene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visitor Visa?

To be able to stay in Canada, just visiting for 6 months, do you have to get a visa? Or just tell customs that you plan to stay for 6 months? (Coming from the Netherlands)
Old May 22nd 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor Visa?

Originally Posted by Amanderene
To be able to stay in Canada, just visiting for 6 months, do you have to get a visa? Or just tell customs that you plan to stay for 6 months? (Coming from the Netherlands)
My understanding is that you can stay on a visitors visa for 6 months but you have to have a return ticket to prove you will leave the country. That is the case for the UK anyway.

Hopefully someone else can help as well

lns
Old May 22nd 2011, 3:22 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

From what I gather, when you meet immigration they'll ask you how long you're staying for and you'll tell them 6 months. It's completely at their discretion as to whether they'll grant you a visa for that long though. As Linsy said you need to prove you'll be leaving at the end of the 6 months through proof of a return ticket and they may ask for other proof such as proof that you still have a job to go back to, that you haven't quit in the hope to settle permanently in Canada etc. They may even ask if you have enough money to support yourself in that time as if you don't they may suspect you intend to work there and turn you away. Hope this helps.
Old May 22nd 2011, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The Netherlands citizens do not require a visa, but note it's up to six months - you may be given entry for less.
Old May 22nd 2011, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of

But if they get say 2 months and need longer can they then put in for an extension as long as they have a valid reason? Or is that only how it works for someone with an application in for PR.
Old May 22nd 2011, 6:00 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by edmontonian
But if they get say 2 months and need longer can they then put in for an extension as long as they have a valid reason? Or is that only how it works for someone with an application in for PR.
Valid or not any visitor can submit an extension request to Vegreville.
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend using the search option on this forum and seeing other responses to visitor visa queries. Basically when you arrive in Canada you have to fill out a card with various details - one of these is the length of your visit. Can I ask what the purpose of your visit is going to be? I've been here visiting my boyfriend for over 6 months now (from the UK) and have applied to extend my visitor status. So I am fairly familiar with the grilling you can (not always!) get at customs, and happy to share my experiences - but if you search the forum, chances are you'll find some of my original responses.
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Well the purpose of his visit is to stay forever, which I dont think will be a wise thing to say to Customs haha. That's also the problem, we are getting a one way ticket.

He will be applying for a temporary work visa once we find him a job (which should be fairly easy as an electrician), and the skilled worker visa. It will just be much easier to find a job once we are there, than just searching on the internet. That, and we would like to get back to Canada ASAP. I think this is the fastest route.

It's just a matter of what to say to Customs then...
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well the purpose of his visit is to stay forever, which I dont think will be a wise thing to say to Customs haha. That's also the problem, we are getting a one way ticket.

He will be applying for a temporary work visa once we find him a job (which should be fairly easy as an electrician), and the skilled worker visa. It will just be much easier to find a job once we are there, than just searching on the internet. That, and we would like to get back to Canada ASAP. I think this is the fastest route.

Not smart. You'll not be allowed to board the airplane without work visa of some sort.
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but it seems he's misinformed. He won't even be allowed to allowed to board the plane with a one way ticket, and immigration are unlikely to admit him if it looks like he's planning to stay. If he's planning on applying for PR then presumably he'll be taking lots of stuff with him including all the documents he'd need for a PR application, which will rather give the game away!

Don't forget he'll need his Red Seal, which can take quite a while to get. Plus, even if he does manage to find a job offer quite quickly, he'd be unlikely to have everything sorted out within 6 months anyway - by the time he's got the LMO and TWP, he'll probably have had to return home. I'd also question the 'fairly easy' to find a job bit, just because he's on the occupations in demand list doesn't mean it'll be easy, we've got forum members who've been searching for a year or two without luck.

And lastly, there's no guarantee that electricians will stay on the list of eligible occupations when it changes in June, so that may be something to consider.

Sorry, but I think your friend needs to think about Plan B!
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Well, we are planning on going through an Immigration lawyer once we get there. I have dealt with them before and they are very fast, that's why I am not worried about the 6 months.

Two way ticket is obviously a necessity I see.
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Don't forget he'll need his Red Seal, which can take quite a while to get.
What do you mean by Red Seal? I havent heard of it.
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Well, we are planning on going through an Immigration lawyer once we get there. I have dealt with them before and they are very fast, that's why I am not worried about the 6 months.
An immigration lawyer or consultant cannot 'fast track' anything, you'll have to wait the same amount of time as everybody else I'm afraid! The LMO (which the employer has to apply for - your friend cannot) can take up to six months alone.

Have a quick search of the forum and you'll find info on it. Here's one previous thread that I found which has all the relevant links in it..............http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...al+electrician

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 23rd 2011 at 10:32 am.
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

ok well fair play. I think it will be hard, LMO's aren't easy as others have said, but if you are willing to put the effort in, you have nothing to lose, then it is worth the try. Good luck. I would get a return ticket because the likelihood is that you are going to need to fly back to the UK at some point, and it should make the customs conversation easier. Make sure you can show evidence of having enough money to support yourselves for 6 months. You'll also need to be prepared to give them an address or details of who you are staying with first of all. I'd say steer well clear of the job hunting part of your trip and stick to something like, you are travelling around the country. I don't know how old you are, but have you considered BUNAC? If you are under 30 (or possibly 31) I don't know, you can apply for a year long working holiday visa, plus I believe these can now be extended to a second year. That would make things a lot easier for you.
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Missing something this fundamental would be cause for alarm. You may want to check your research and see if you've missed anything else.Did your immigration agent not tell you this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.