Visitor Record

Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:13 am
Got approved. Yippee !

BriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really nice
Default Visitor Record

Hi everybody,
We are now living in Kamloops, on a 2 year Parents and Grandparents SuperVisa.
When we landed at Vancouver Airport and went through passport control and then customs, we continually requested a IMM 1442 form for each of us. We were told tat as we were visitors, we didn't need one. So we left customs, picked up our dog, and went to our hotel.
Next day I was advised that if I don't get the Vsitors Record, then I would not be allowed to drive after 6 months.
So we went back to the customs office and asked again . This time with more success. The officer there was quite annoyed that the people on duty the night before hadn't given us the forms, especially as on my approval letter is a medical requirement that was also ignored.
Turns out that I have to get a medical within 30 days or my visa will be revoked. If we hadn't gone back to get the Visitors Record, we wouldn't have known, so after our planned visit back to UK in Aug, we probably wouldn't have been let in.
All in all, we were lucky, but the customs people need to get their act together.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor Record

Originally Posted by BriSue39
Next day I was advised that if I don't get the Vsitors Record, then I would not be allowed to drive after 6 months.
You may want to check with ICBC whether you need to get a BC license. Residents moving to BC now have 90 days and I thought visitors only had 6 months then had to get a BC license.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:32 pm
Got approved. Yippee !

BriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really nice

Thanks Aviator.
We're on the 2 year Parents and Grandparents Supervisa, so we will need to get a BC driving licence.
We went to the ICBC office in Kamloops and they said that we can change our licences, but unfortunately they will take our UK licence and destroy them. We are holidaying in UK in August so to have our UK licence in England would be better. I understand that I could drive in England fr 12 months on a Canadian licence.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

They send your UK license back to the UK as you are only allowed to hold one license.

We've just been to England over Christmas and rented a car with our Ontario licenses with no problems at all.

When you move back to the UK after the 2 years you can just swap your BC licenses back to UK ones.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

mamtaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Super visa? A two year super visa?

Oh I'd love to apply for my mum and dad on that.

How long did it take to process, and did you do it from the UK?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:32 pm
Got approved. Yippee !

Yes, we applied from the UK. Our son and his family who live in Kamloops, wrote the invitation and gave proof of their income (although that was not relevant as we are financially independent) and we did the rest.
We applied in August 2012, and after jumping through all the hoops they throw at you - police record, medicals, birth certificates etc etc, we got our Approval letters in December and flew out of UK in March 2013.
The Canadian Embassy in London says that the process should take 8 weeks once they have received all papers required.
It took us 4.5 months which is about 18 weeks, from start to finish.
Hope that helps.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

well i live with my fiance, she's canadian and my application for residency is being processed.
I wonder if they can still do this is i am not a resident yet.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:55 pm
Got approved. Yippee !

Don't think so. I'm pretty sure that PR is a must for the " inviter".
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

something to look into at a later date then. Thanks