Visitor Extension Do's and don'ts

Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:40 am
menelty

menelty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visitor Extension Do's and don'ts

Hi,

Anyone offer some advice?

Me and my partner just submitted spousal sponsorship forms with the use of an immigration lawyer through Mississauga. However my status expires late August. From reading posts on here it seems the government are not likely to grant an extension based on these circumstances. What is the best form of action here?

Use the lawyer to apply for the extension or apply ourselves?
Are the government less likely to grant an extension if your waiting on the sponsorship going through?

We appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:49 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor Extension Do's and don'ts

Originally Posted by menelty
Hi,

Anyone offer some advice?

Me and my partner just submitted spousal sponsorship forms with the use of an immigration lawyer through Mississauga. However my status expires late August. From reading posts on here it seems the government are not likely to grant an extension based on these circumstances. What is the best form of action here?

Use the lawyer to apply for the extension or apply ourselves?
Are the government less likely to grant an extension if your waiting on the sponsorship going through?

We appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Your lawyer should have mentioned the importance of keeping your status legal if you were intending to remain in Canada during the processing of your application. Since the application was sent to Mississauga it appears that it will be dealt with overseas and that you will not remain constantly in Canada. What is your intention? In any case you had better get an extension application into the other centre in Vegreville immediately giving the sponsored application in process. Why did you choose the overseas application>
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:13 am
menelty

menelty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visitor Extension Do's and don'ts

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Your lawyer should have mentioned the importance of keeping your status legal if you were intending to remain in Canada during the processing of your application. Since the application was sent to Mississauga it appears that it will be dealt with overseas and that you will not remain constantly in Canada. What is your intention? In any case you had better get an extension application into the other centre in Vegreville immediately giving the sponsored application in process. Why did you choose the overseas application>

She advised us that currently the processing times were best through Mississauga and that would be the best route for us to take. The intention is that we will remain in Canada as I just finished university last year and my partner already has her own career established here so we decided it was best for me to come here rather than her come to the UK. We have been advised that I need to renew my status but I was getting frustrated because I emailed our lawyer with questions regarding the extension and the reply pretty much ignored what I asked so I decided to ask the pool of knowledge on the Britishexpats forum as this community never fails to deliver support and help. Needless to say we now have many friends who live here telling us to put the application in ourselves and not put up the money for professional advice which sounds tempting but I wanted to do some fact finding if possible.

Thanks.