Visitng again so soon?

Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:34 am
Just Joined

oeck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visitng again so soon?

Not sure if this is in the right place or not but hoping someone can help because its pretty much a straight forward question I guess (excuse my ignorance if I miss something)... my fiancee is a Canadian and has lived there all her life, being from England this has meant I have been traveling there whenever I can (and am starting to work on my visa now though this is irrelevant right now) but I went there in October for a week, then came back to England for 2 weeks before returning over the holidays, and because I went back so soon I had to go through immigration and asked many questions, but just coming back again and wanting to go 2 and a half weeks later after returning (had to come back for work related issues) I am thinking that ill be questioned a lot again and am wondering if anyone would know if there will be any problems here? what kind of questions will I be asked? should there be anything I should do extra?... and do I require a return ticket, as at the moment I only have a 1 way going into the Country because I was unsure of when I would be returning specifically though it would be within the month? (though I would be staying with family and friends who are residents of Canada), please help, thank you.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

mark-r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visitng again so soon?

Immigration will want to see that you're planning on leaving, entering without a return indicates that you're not planning on coming back, I'd suggest you buy returns from England in future that way you never have to mess about, this is what I'd do.

I'm in a very, very similar boat, English, wife is canadian, I'm in Canada at the moment, planning on leaving to the UK and then entering Canada with a PR visa that's processing, with my daughter! you have to be honest if they get a hint of you telling lies or bending the truth you won't stand much chance.

I've told them that I am working on an application before when I was travelling into Canada, it was actually Detroit who I told as that's only 1 hour away from Chatham Ontario where my wife lives, this was the truth and they we're fine with that, but be prepared for a grilling, hopefully you'll get a nice officer, one who doesn't act like an angry robot!!

When I next go back to England, I will have just spent 4 months in Canada, and I will only be in England for 2 weeks, and then back to Canada again, so wish me luck!!! but it should be fine really as long as you have a return flight, are honest and are visiting and not planning on working etc.

Very important that you remember to give fair answers to questions that are requested, there's no need to give more than what's needed, and try not to break a sweat!

Last edited by mark-r; Feb 5th 2005 at 5:36 am.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Thank you that helped a lot, I will get a return ticket, I am just thinking that I am probably going to cancel or change the date when I return because at the moment I am unsure, not that I want to lie but I just dont know exactly though I know it wont be long.

I am currently starting out on an application would this be worth mentioning or not at all? not sure if I was lucky or not by it, but last time I entered thru Montreal (because I always fly out again to New Brunswick where my fiancee is) had a French officer that spoke fluent English of course, but I think he couldnt understand my accent that well, and answered a lot of questions but think he let me go on a lot because of that.

But if I get a return ticket (im pretty certain ill be pulled thru Immigration for returning only 2 and a half weeks later) and answer that im only visiting which I am , ill be fine?

On another note (forgive my ignorance again) not really that new but never fully understood my limitations on visitng, like how long am I able to visit Canada within a certain time frame, or any other limits? .etc .etc

Thank you again.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hey again, you can visit canada for up to six months as a visitor, if you want to go for as long as possible i'd go just under say 5 / 5.5 months to be on the safe side that way you're not risking things.

You're not married yet, it's usually best to be honest if you're asked about applying for residency, I'd tell them you have recently proposed and are planning marriage at the moment, state that you cannot apply for residency untill you are married so you are visiting for the moment.

If your wife is planning on coming to England on a visa then tell them that, if you're planning on going to England on a visa, tell them that. I don't think you'll have a problem just be honest and whatever you do, don't lie you need to give honest and clear answers, keep them short however.

You can legally leave Canada for one day, and then return the very next day and get another six months, you're not breaking the law there just make sure you have a return ticket with you so when they ask how long your visit is for you can give a firm answer and show some proof, that's what I'd do. They probably won't like you coming back so soon, but you are legally able to, it's canadian law.. as long as they don't suspect you of anything!

Looking clean shaven and well dressed will probably help you a bit. Also I think that they ask you to make sure you have enough funds with you for your visit, especially if you're travelling for a while. You'll need to ask someone else about the specifics for this though, if they decide to be difficult they could try to pull you up on this one, if you don't have much money for your trip it's worth borrowing some money to save yourself from this. Borrowed money I think, is ok as it's money you have access to, again someone else will need to give you specifics here.

It's always a bit hazey with immigration officers as it's always at their descretion but I think you should be ok.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Yeh sounds like the same questions I got asked last time, thank you very much I should be fine, but one thing I dont understand is there a limit to how much I can visit? Ive heard 6 months before and you have just mentioned that too, is that 6 months every time you visit? or is that 6 months within a certain amount of time? lets say if you went for 5 months, came back for a few weeks and then went again for another 5 months would that be acceptable or is there an amount of time you have to wait after the 6 months before you can visit again?
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

you simply need to leave the country and then re-enter, I'd imagine that re-entering the next day would probably make this valid, although technically you might just be able to step outside of the country and step back in the same day (someone might be able to clarify) I'm not sure about that, but do know that if it's longer than a day you should be fine. You don't have to go back to your home country either, you can visit a neighbouring country if you wanted, I'm not sure if there are any implications if an officer sees that you have left to the nearest country just to extend your visitor stay.

I don't think there are any limits to how many times you can leave and come back for six months, again I might be wrong here but I'm fairly sure you can keep on doing it, be prepared for some questioning.

Last edited by mark-r; Feb 5th 2005 at 4:32 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Don't mind the questionning, nothing to hide , and I am only visiting still, and I think last time because I am young and perhaps my nationality too, might have helped me, but then ive not a clue there either.
Thank you for all your help , been great, if theres anyone else that might know about limits please could you say? just want to be on the safe side still.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oeck
Don't mind the questionning, nothing to hide , and I am only visiting still, and I think last time because I am young and perhaps my nationality too, might have helped me, but then ive not a clue there either.
Thank you for all your help , been great, if theres anyone else that might know about limits please could you say? just want to be on the safe side still.
no worries!! and best of luck