Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visiting Visa - One way ticket or not

Visiting Visa - One way ticket or not

Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Mircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura about
Default Visiting Visa - One way ticket or not

Hi all,

I would greatly appreciate some advice on whether it is wise to book a one way ticket to Canada and hope that I will get 6 months from the lovely immigration officer there.

Basically I am looking to come over on a visitor's visa in October, as my partner is Canadian and I will be looking to move in with him (Toronto) so we can start the time line for a future common law sponsorship application once the year has passed. In the meanwhile I will be looking to apply for the 2013 IEC programme as due to my own fault I missed out on this year's application. I will likely do some volunteering work to keep myself busy and maybe apply for work when I am there in case of an LMO opportunity.

If I was to explain all of this to immigration officer I would hope that would justify my one way ticket as I am not 100% sure when I would be returning back to the UK. Buying one way would just be nicer on the bank balance.

Thanks for reading and your responses.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Visa - One way ticket or not

Impossible question to answer.
You say you want to visit and move in with your boyfriend. How will you convince the examining officer you will leave Canada if no return ticket.
Even a return ticket is no guarantee you will leave Canada.
Several things may happen.
1. They refuse you entry.
2. They let you in for 6 months no return ticket requested.
3. They let you in but make you buy a return ticket before admitting you.
4. They put you on a visitor record and make you report to CBSA prior to leaving on whatever time they allow.
No 100% answer can be given on this type of enquiry nor is asking what if this what if that.
It will be the examining officer who decides not a BE poster.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Mircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Impossible question to answer.
You say you want to visit and move in with your boyfriend. How will you convince the examining officer you will leave Canada if no return ticket.
Even a return ticket is no guarantee you will leave Canada.
Several things may happen.
1. They refuse you entry.
2. They let you in for 6 months no return ticket requested.
3. They let you in but make you buy a return ticket before admitting you.
4. They put you on a visitor record and make you report to CBSA prior to leaving on whatever time they allow.
No 100% answer can be given on this type of enquiry nor is asking what if this what if that.
It will be the examining officer who decides not a BE poster.
I understand my question is very much based on the officer that will decide my fate and really was just enquiring in regards to the possibility of being sent back home due to not buying a return ticket as well as an previous application on the IEC. I am looking to purchase my flights soon so this is why I have asked to avoid any risk of being refused entry.

Many thanks for the list on the potential outcomes and response, it is much appreciated.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mitz24
I understand my question is very much based on the officer that will decide my fate and really was just enquiring in regards to the possibility of being sent back home due to not buying a return ticket as well as an previous application on the IEC. I am looking to purchase my flights soon so this is why I have asked to avoid any risk of being refused entry.

Many thanks for the list on the potential outcomes and response, it is much appreciated.
As F.L said it is completely up to them, if they view you as a "marriage risk" then they might not even let you in.

I think having the return ticket really helps in you situation, but the length of the visitor visa is completely up to the immigration officers digression. It really is impossible to know what they will do, unfortunately!

Hopefully someone who has done what you are doing will know a better answer!
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottyxx
As F.L said it is completely up to them, if they view you as a "marriage risk" then they might not even let you in.

I think having the return ticket really helps in you situation, but the length of the visitor visa is completely up to the immigration officers digression. It really is impossible to know what they will do, unfortunately!

Hopefully someone who has done what you are doing will know a better answer!
Good advice but there will be no better answer. Its entirely up to the examining officer. Every situation is unique and even with identical situations you can still get 4 different decisions as listed above.
Its not a legal requirement to have the return ticket but in this situation I would be expecting to see one if I was the examining officer based on her circumstances.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, my friend got refused entry because he only had a 1 way ticket, they thought he was a "marriage risk"...granted..he was Mexican
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it'll save money to get a one way ticket? Bizarrely, most one ways are more expensive than a return.

But personally I'd get a return anyway, rather than give them a reason to refuse you entry.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all for the replies, I know its not the most easiest of post's to reply to as there isn't a conclusive answer.

I just don't want to bend any truth's with the officer when they ask why I want to stay for the 6 months initially and am just being cautious by asking my initial post.

Normally I have found that one ways are more expensive but Canadian affair have good deal's on at the moment with additional discounts if you have the codes so thats why the one way looks very tempting and as I don't really have any immediate plans to go home I wanted to keep that open for when I need/want to return but think it is wise in my situation to book the return just to avoid that being an issue.

Thanks again all, BE has been a great source of help and support.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the replies, I know its not the most easiest of post's to reply to as there isn't a conclusive answer.

I just don't want to bend any truth's with the officer when they ask why I want to stay for the 6 months initially and am just being cautious by asking my initial post.

Normally I have found that one ways are more expensive but Canadian affair have good deal's on at the moment with additional discounts if you have the codes so thats why the one way looks very tempting and as I don't really have any immediate plans to go home I wanted to keep that open for when I need/want to return but think it is wise in my situation to book the return just to avoid that being an issue.

Thanks again all, BE has been a great source of help and support.
Pay a little more and pick a airline that allows you to change the dates (most do for a fee, Canadian affair do not)
Then you have a return flight that
-you can use if you want to
-satifys the officer that you have a way/can return home
-worst comes to worst a few weeks before your return flight ring up and put it off for another 1 year.. (Air France wanted 90GBP when I did it with them before)
Old Jul 16th 2012, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Bally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond repute

It is very risky. I would get a return ticket that you can change/cancel once you're in the country!

Check out Iceland Air, they do very reasonable return flights that are fully refundable. You go via Iceland but they schedule their flights to minimize time spent in the airport. They are a great airline!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:01 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have residency or a WP you may not even be allowed to board the aircraft. Some carriers are very sticky with this. I have seen this happen and if you are refused entry, you may be sent back on their aircraft and they may not get paid. You could also end up in holding until a return flight can be found, you will also get the bill for the return flight. As a rule immigration do not shop around for the best price.

Pay more and get an open return or get a 6 month return and take a chance immigration are OK with it. If it were me, I would just say visiting friends on arrival.

Do you not have to be physically in the UK to apply for IEC? Eligibility #2,4 & 6. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...il.aspx?view=d

You also have to be careful doing volunteer work on a visitor visa.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bally21
It is very risky. I would get a return ticket that you can change/cancel once you're in the country!

Check out Iceland Air, they do very reasonable return flights that are fully refundable. You go via Iceland but they schedule their flights to minimize time spent in the airport. They are a great airline!
Thanks for the shout with Iceland Air...they seem to have some decent deals. Cheers for the advice about getting a return.

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you don't have residency or a WP you may not even be allowed to board the aircraft. Some carriers are very sticky with this. I have seen this happen and if you are refused entry, you may be sent back on their aircraft and they may not get paid. You could also end up in holding until a return flight can be found, you will also get the bill for the return flight. As a rule immigration do not shop around for the best price.

Pay more and get an open return or get a 6 month return and take a chance immigration are OK with it. If it were me, I would just say visiting friends on arrival.

Do you not have to be physically in the UK to apply for IEC? Eligibility #2,4 & 6. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...il.aspx?view=d

You also have to be careful doing volunteer work on a visitor visa.
Thanks for the advice on the ticket and I got questioned when I went to visit my boyfriend at the end of June for a week, as I told the officer I was visiting a friend and she wanted to know specific's and interrogated me then so that's why for when I come in Oct I want to have the right things to say and do.

As for the IEC, I am aware from the BE forum that a lot of people apply for a second IEC whilst they are still in Canada so I don't believe that this would be a problem for me. The only issue is if I get questioned on my year whilst I was working/travelling in Australia. My understanding is that I am a British Citizen/Resident and was only a temporary resident in Oz. I still have bank accounts, car etc in my name in the UK that accounts for 'proof of residency'. This is what I'm hoping anyway. The main thing I will have to do once the IEC comes for 2013 is flag pole and I will look to purchase adequate health insurance before I leave home so I am covered for 2 years at least which would cover the IEC and whilst I am there as a visitor.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

My understanding is that I am a British Citizen/Resident and was only a temporary resident in Oz. I still have bank accounts, car etc in my name in the UK that accounts for 'proof of residency'. This is what I'm hoping anyway. The main thing I will have to do once the IEC comes for 2013 is flag pole and I will look to purchase adequate health insurance before I leave home so I am covered for 2 years at least which would cover the IEC and whilst I am there as a visitor.
I did the same thing. I was in Canada from May 2010 when I applied for my current 2012 IEC. I went home over Xmas, and I met the 18 month requirement...to the day. I still have my UK bank account, Car, Car Insurance, Credit Card etc, so I could easily prove my proof of residency in the UK. Because I never had a permanent address in Canada - I moved every year - I kep my UK Address as my permanent address for important mailings.