Visiting as a tourist - question

Old Dec 13th 2016, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

harryg7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting as a tourist - question

Hi,

I'm currently in Canada as a visitor (arrived Nov 2nd 2016, have to leave by May 2nd 2017). I have a flight back to the UK on April 27th..

In May 2017, I intend to revisit to experience Canada in the summer months and drive across the country. Will I need to apply for a tourist visa extension?

I know the UK is a visa exempt country which is what is confusing me!

Thanks in advance.

Harry
Old Dec 13th 2016, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting as a tourist - question

- are you flying back to the UK on 27 April? If yes, you do not need a visitor extension as long as you had been admitted for six months on 2nd November and you are sure about this.

- when you come back to Canada you are seeking a new admission on your return. You need an eTA to get on the plane in the UK to fly to Canada.

- how long you are admitted for when you come back is up to the officer at the border.

S
Old Dec 13th 2016, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harryg7
Hi,

I'm currently in Canada as a visitor (arrived Nov 2nd 2016, have to leave by May 2nd 2017). I have a flight back to the UK on April 27th..

In May 2017, I intend to revisit to experience Canada in the summer months and drive across the country. Will I need to apply for a tourist visa extension?

Thanks in advance.

Harry
As you do not have a tourist visa, you cannot get a tourist visa extension.

If you are not planning on leaving Canada, you will need to apply online to extend your visitor status.

If you are leaving Canada and re-entering, you will present at a port of entry, and either turned away (if they suspect eg that you can't support yourself, will be working illegally), or admitted. If admitted, it will be for a maximum of six months, possibly less if they're concerned about your plans.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
As you do not have a tourist visa, you cannot get a tourist visa extension.

If you are not planning on leaving Canada, you will need to apply online to extend your visitor status.

If you are leaving Canada and re-entering, you will present at a port of entry, and either turned away (if they suspect eg that you can't support yourself, will be working illegally), or admitted. If admitted, it will be for a maximum of six months, possibly less if they're concerned about your plans.
I would expect quite a lot of scrutiny from border officer when you return to Canada. You would of been here for 6 months home for 1 month and then seeking re-entry for up to a further 6 months. i.e. spent all of 1 month in your home country in a year.

You will have to be able to show how you are supporting yourselves without working in Canada and your ties to the UK. Good luck
Old Dec 14th 2016, 7:56 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want to come back for a further 6 months? That's bound to be the question the CBSA Officer is going to ask. If you're intending to return as a tourist again it might look a bit fishy. I know Canada is a big place, but a year to see it? Hmmm....
Old Dec 14th 2016, 8:17 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harryg7
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Harry
You will have to tell the border guy or gal where you are gettin $$ from to live, oops I mean visit Canada for such a long time

Or do you think everyone is stupid and you can work for 6 months, take a 2 week vacation to the UK then come back and work for 6 months, etc ect, because that's what it looks like on paper. Unless you won the lottery or came into a large amount of $$ thru legal means
Old Dec 16th 2016, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

HighCeiling is an unknown quantity at this point

I am pretty certain that you will get grilled. I popped over to the US for day and i got questioned for 30 minutes (by 2 separate border agents) and that was with a PR application in progress and sponsor approval....they wanted to know how I am supporting myself etc ... just have the paperwork to back up your claims