Visiting Canada for 6 months

Old Jan 5th 2017, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Xylnaeri is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Visiting Canada for 6 months

I just visited my boyfriend for 3 weeks, and I'm now back home in Denmark, where i will be staying for 6-7 months until I'm finished with my school.
I wanna take a break from school and stay with him for 6 months, or 180 days.

I've been reading a lot, and I'm getting more and more scared each forum I see.
I don't have a job, I don't have a house or property (rented or owned) and I just finished school.

Will this be enough to prove I'll be going back home
  1. Return ticket
  2. Travel insurance
  3. Bank statement (from my danish bank account)
  4. Proof that I live with my mother and that is where I have all my personal items
  5. Maybe a bank statement from my boyfriend to prove he can support me during the stay

What can I do to increase my chances, and what happens if they wont let me in?

I have stayed for two months last summer, which wasn't a problem, they asked some questions but that was it.
I'm scared I will be told to turn back home.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Canada for 6 months

If you're under 35 and a Danish citizen, why don't you apply for a Working Holiday Work Permit? Now is the time to make a profile in the pool and see if you get selected to apply for a Work Permit (you don't need a job offer to apply). Here's the eligibility requirements:

Find out if you’re eligible – International Experience Canada

There are 350 slots and 338 are still available so get yourself in quickly if you haven't already. The chances of getting invited to apply are "Excellent" as of today:

Rounds of invitations – International Experience Canada

S
Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snowy560
If you're under 35 and a Danish citizen, why don't you apply for a Working Holiday Work Permit? Now is the time to make a profile in the pool and see if you get selected to apply for a Work Permit (you don't need a job offer to apply). Here's the eligibility requirements:

Find out if you’re eligible – International Experience Canada

There are 350 slots and 338 are still available so get yourself in quickly if you haven't already. The chances of getting invited to apply are "Excellent" as of today:

Rounds of invitations – International Experience Canada

S
Well I didn't really want to work, I wanted to relax and spend time with him and just experience more of the country.
SO I wanted to know what are my chances with the proof I have
Old Jan 5th 2017, 4:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xylnaeri
Well I didn't really want to work, I wanted to relax and spend time with him and just experience more of the country.
SO I wanted to know what are my chances with the proof I have
You don't have to work, but it will give you legitimate status in Canada and you won't have to worry about being refused entry.

Old Jan 5th 2017, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You don't have to work, but it will give you legitimate status in Canada and you won't have to worry about being refused entry.

Oh really?
how long does it last and when does it start?
Because I wanted to travel there mid july, and leave around january
Old Jan 5th 2017, 4:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really?
how long does it last and when does it start?
Because I wanted to travel there mid july, and leave around january
It's all in the links.

Old Jan 5th 2017, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's all in the links.

I couldn't really figure out when it starts, like.. if i applied now, would i decide myself when to use it or apply for the work permit?

Also is it really okay to not work? Since I apply to get a work permit, but I wont use it?
I found it says this
"Yes, as long as you satisfy the border services officer that you are entering as a visitor and will not be working."
So.. I'd be stuck in the same situation

Last edited by Xylnaeri; Jan 5th 2017 at 5:05 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to do a bit more reading and research to understand it better.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 5th 2017 at 5:39 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You need to do a bit more reading and research to understand it better.

S
I read most of it, which is why I'm confused, since it said if you don't wanna work at the moment, you need to convince them that you're just a visitor.

And I can't find anything about how long it takes or when I'd get an invitation, if I did get one
Old Jan 6th 2017, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I just visited my boyfriend for 3 weeks, and I'm now back home in Denmark, where i will be staying for 6-7 months until I'm finished with my school.
I wanna take a break from school and stay with him for 6 months, or 180 days.

I've been reading a lot, and I'm getting more and more scared each forum I see.
I don't have a job, I don't have a house or property (rented or owned) and I just finished school.

Will this be enough to prove I'll be going back home
  1. Return ticket
  2. Travel insurance
  3. Bank statement (from my danish bank account)
  4. Proof that I live with my mother and that is where I have all my personal items
  5. Maybe a bank statement from my boyfriend to prove he can support me during the stay

What can I do to increase my chances, and what happens if they wont let me in?

I have stayed for two months last summer, which wasn't a problem, they asked some questions but that was it.
I'm scared I will be told to turn back home.
I think you are "overthinking" this.

With a Danish passport, you can be granted up to 6 months to stay as a visitor. If you have 1, 2, 3 (showing enough funds to support yourself during your stay) and an ETA, I don't see why you are so worried.

If cbsa grants you less than 6 months as a visitor, you can then apply to extend your stay as a visitor.

Don't muddy the waters (confuse the issue) with bank statements from your boyfriend unless specifically asked. That could be interpreted as an intent to stay longer.

I'm honestly not sure why you are so anxious?

You've visited twice (at least) already, returned home when you said you would, without problems. This is positive. How long did they stamp you in for on those occasions? Why should this time be different?

P.S. Personal pet peeve: it's "want to" not "wanna".
Old Jan 6th 2017, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I think you are "overthinking" this.

With a Danish passport, you can be granted up to 6 months to stay as a visitor. If you have 1, 2, 3 (showing enough funds to support yourself during your stay) and an ETA, I don't see why you are so worried.

If cbsa grants you less than 6 months as a visitor, you can then apply to extend your stay as a visitor.

Don't muddy the waters (confuse the issue) with bank statements from your boyfriend unless specifically asked. That could be interpreted as an intent to stay longer.

I'm honestly not sure why you are so anxious?

You've visited twice (at least) already, returned home when you said you would, without problems. This is positive. How long did they stamp you in for on those occasions? Why should this time be different?

P.S. Personal pet peeve: it's "want to" not "wanna".
Because I've read that when it's 6 months they can get.. suspicious?
I don't know what I would do if they told me I had to turn back home, but they didn't give me a date, they just stamped my passport.

I don't know if it would help, but my boyfriend and his parents are going to be waiting for me at the airport, they could even tell them that they will make sure I leave when I have to

Would it make a difference if I tell them I'm visitng my boyfriend or say "good friend" instead?

Is it possible for them to tell me I have to leave at an earlier date, but not kick me back home?
And what would a reason be for applying to extend my stay? Is tourism enough?
Old Jan 6th 2017, 1:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Because I've read that when it's 6 months they can get.. suspicious?
Of what? Guess it depends what you say. Immigration may give you up to 6 months, no certainty of how long, but 6 months seems to be the norm

I don't know if it would help, but my boyfriend and his parents are going to be waiting for me at the airport, they could even tell them that they will make sure I leave when I have to
Won't help a bit. They are not going to be trotting off and interviewing your boyfriends family. It all starts and ends on you at immigration.

Would it make a difference if I tell them I'm visitng my boyfriend or say "good friend" instead?
Probably no difference either way. If it makes you feel better, why not just visiting friends?

Is it possible for them to tell me I have to leave at an earlier date, but not kick me back home?
If you get denied entry, you will only be able to leave by air, you won't be admitted to Canada. Usually returned by the same carrier to the point of origin.

And what would a reason be for applying to extend my stay? Is tourism enough?
Yes
Old Jan 6th 2017, 1:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Won't help a bit. They are not going to be trotting off and interviewing your boyfriends family...
On that Border security show, they did exactly that.
(not the OP's boyfriend's family obviously )

There was a bloke who was going to be helping his girlfriend's family do something - converting a garage to a gym or some such - and they were waiting for him at the airport.

The immigration guy brought them in, spoke to them all together and told them he wasn't allowed to do it because it was work.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Way too much overthinking and what if etc etc.

So you want to visit your boyfriend for 6 months.

1. Buy a return ticket.
2. Have evidence ready like your own bank statement showing you have money in an account which shows you are not destitute i.e. have no money.
3. Apply for the eTA.
4. Fly to Canada. Tip don't show up with 18 x suitcases.
5. On the declaration card put length of stay as 180 days.

Anything from here on is pure speculation as to what may or may not happen. Have your boyfriends name and address and contact number on you.
If asked purpose of your trip answer visiting my boyfriend.
How long will you be staying?
About 6 months I have a return ticket for X date.
Have you been to Canada before?
Yes Ive visited X times.

Just based on that alone is sufficient to stamp you in for the 6 months.
Answer truthfully any questions. Once the 1st lie has been told then your credibility is shot. If he's your boyfriend then tell them as opposed to visiting a friend.

You have been admitted before and complied so why should they think different this time?
Old Jan 6th 2017, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

OttawaLo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
On that Border security show, they did exactly that.
(not the OP's boyfriend's family obviously )

There was a bloke who was going to be helping his girlfriend's family do something - converting a garage to a gym or some such - and they were waiting for him at the airport.

The immigration guy brought them in, spoke to them all together and told them he wasn't allowed to do it because it was work.
That show. Puts the fear of god into me. I remember that exact episode though! The mother in law was like "he won't even be allowed to wash the dishes I promise".

Off topic but.. I also remember a news story a few years back about a guy who got deported from Canada for helping his girlfriend paint her apartment! There were pictures on her phone or something. So crazy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.