Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visit for 5 months from US... please advise (no other forums like this)

Visit for 5 months from US... please advise (no other forums like this)

Old May 16th 2009, 8:26 am
Just Joined

thebleh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visit for 5 months from US... please advise (no other forums like this)

Hello everybody,

I am a US citizen. I know this message board is for British people, but I have no other resources to turn to and have googled this extensively. I figured that the two countries were similar enough in terms of visas and Canadian policies that advice from here would be valid as well.

I have been reading up that it is very difficult to get into Canada, and a long term stay like 5 months would be seen like an attempt for me to overstay my visit. I am 27, with no arrests or criminal records of any kind and have never even had a traffic ticket. I only have one friend in Canada, whom I have known a while and will let me say that I am staying at his place. As per finances, I only have 3,000 usd in the bank, and a credit card for 8,000usd. I have a a ticket to vancouver on the 28th of may and a return flight (non-refundable) for the 31st of October. I work on the internet and thus do not need a work permit and will not take a canadian job. I can only prove maybe 2,000usd income a month though at the current time, and most of this is in cash, not in the form of a paycheck.

I can prove that I had a real life winter job to go back to, but other than that, I don't have any family back in the states besides my mother.

I do have a lawsuit against me 4 years ago, that ended in a non-judgment, from the federal government (us). This was not a criminal lawsuit, but a civil one for internet business practices, and no judgment was awarded.

Will any of the above stuff keep me out? What are my chances? I want to get my story straight and everything solid so that I don't falter when they are asking me questions. Should I just simply book the return flight for earlier, then move it up at a later date? Is there anything that I can change that would help me?

Your advise is appreciated, and again, I apologize for posting in an off-topic form.
Old May 16th 2009, 7:35 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Re: Visit for 5 months from US... please advise (no other forums like this)

I don't see that you would have any problems at all - why do you think you would?

Not sure how long the 'default' visitor's visa is for US citizens entering Canada but you have ties in your home country, sufficient income, and no ulterior motive. I'd be looking forward to spending a few months with my mate in a civilised nation
Old May 16th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Visit for 5 months from US... please advise (no other forums like this)

As far as I know you can stay in Canada for a maximum of 6 months without requiring a visitor visa, however they might ask you to show enough funds to support yourself during that time period. How much - I don't know..
Old May 17th 2009, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebleh
Hello everybody,

I am a US citizen. I know this message board is for British people, but I have no other resources to turn to and have googled this extensively. I figured that the two countries were similar enough in terms of visas and Canadian policies that advice from here would be valid as well.

I have been reading up that it is very difficult to get into Canada, and a long term stay like 5 months would be seen like an attempt for me to overstay my visit. I am 27, with no arrests or criminal records of any kind and have never even had a traffic ticket. I only have one friend in Canada, whom I have known a while and will let me say that I am staying at his place. As per finances, I only have 3,000 usd in the bank, and a credit card for 8,000usd. I have a a ticket to vancouver on the 28th of may and a return flight (non-refundable) for the 31st of October. I work on the internet and thus do not need a work permit and will not take a canadian job. I can only prove maybe 2,000usd income a month though at the current time, and most of this is in cash, not in the form of a paycheck.

I can prove that I had a real life winter job to go back to, but other than that, I don't have any family back in the states besides my mother.

I do have a lawsuit against me 4 years ago, that ended in a non-judgment, from the federal government (us). This was not a criminal lawsuit, but a civil one for internet business practices, and no judgment was awarded.

Will any of the above stuff keep me out? What are my chances? I want to get my story straight and everything solid so that I don't falter when they are asking me questions. Should I just simply book the return flight for earlier, then move it up at a later date? Is there anything that I can change that would help me?

Your advise is appreciated, and again, I apologize for posting in an off-topic form.
Hi and welcome to the forum - don't worry, plenty of people on here who aren't Brits, you're more than welcome!

I don't know how long you'd get given on a visitor visa (as a UK citizen, we get 6 months so would assume the US is the same?) but that's the first thing you need to check.

If you're required to show proof of funds you'll need far more than US$3000k though (and your credit card cannot be counted, it must be available and not borrowed). You will also require very good insurance as you won't be eligible for healthcare as a visitor so that's another thing to consider.

Old May 17th 2009, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi and welcome to the forum - don't worry, plenty of people on here who aren't Brits, you're more than welcome!

I don't know how long you'd get given on a visitor visa (as a UK citizen, we get 6 months so would assume the US is the same?) but that's the first thing you need to check.

If you're required to show proof of funds you'll need far more than US$3000k though (and your credit card cannot be counted, it must be available and not borrowed). You will also require very good insurance as you won't be eligible for healthcare as a visitor so that's another thing to consider.

How much do I need do you think. I can borrow money from friends/family to have more money when I enter the country, and simply pay them back the next day. Also, I can take money out of the cc. Is that a better choice?

How much do you think would be necessary, $6000 in hand and bank? More?
Old May 18th 2009, 2:00 am
Just Joined

bump