Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visas in our passports ? mistake??

Wikiposts

Visas in our passports ? mistake??

Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of
Default Visas in our passports ? mistake??

I went and picked up our passports today from CHIC. four lovely shiney visas all the names etc correct. Just the Visa expiry is 22/01/11 on all four of them! our medicals were on the 21st May 2010. Has the visa length reduced from 12 months from meds?? It shouldn't affect us we are landing on the 17th but my son is coming out a bit later probably Christmas time, just aware of the rumbling volcano in the background!

Anyone had this happen? Is it correct?

Sarah x
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all
Default Re: Visas in our passports ? mistake??

Hi madwife.....had my visa recently....I'm certain that the '1 year from medical' is still in place. How is the expiry date on the passports? Other than that, I think I would be inclined to contact them ...unless someone on here knows better than I.

Hope you get an answer soon,
Steve
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:22 am
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

I don't know for sure but it might be connected to your Criminal Certificate date?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Hi again madwife.....just checked my passport ( well, actually, my VISA). The expiry date on mine is definitely the anniversary of my medical.

I await the input of others!!!!!

Steve
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Hi Steve, Passport expiry was my first thought and the earliest one of ours expires is 2014.

Hi Flipance, Our ACRO certs are dated 22/3/10 so nothing explains this!

Thanks guys, just remember to check your visas thoroughly, it wont make that much difference to us, no time to change ours now!!

Thanks again
Sarah x

Last edited by Madwife; Jul 8th 2010 at 4:43 am.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:38 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Someone there screwed up is my guess. It happens.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
Someone there screwed up is my guess. It happens.
I think it was very rushed as they are dated as issued on the 28th June 2 working days after we took them in!! they wanted to get ahead before the bank holiday. Such is life but it may affect others so check them carefully before you leave.

Sarah x
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

PR visa validity is usually 12 months from medicals with clean medical report. But validity of the visa may be shorter to match the expiration date of the passport or to match the validity date of medical decision. Most medical decisions are valid 12 months (thus majority of PR visas are valid 12 months from medicals) - but there are cases when medical decision has validity shorter than 12 months resulting in earlier expiration date of PR visa. Medical decisions with shorter than 12 months validity may be issued for example in cases with some medical conditions requiring follow-up in Canada upon landing.

I'm not medical officer, not an immigration lawyer or consultant - the above is based on info gathered from reading relevant chapters of Manual and Operational Bulletins on CIC website.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazy72
PR visa validity is usually 12 months from medicals with clean medical report. But validity of the visa may be shorter to match the expiration date of the passport or to match the validity date of medical decision. Most medical decisions are valid 12 months (thus majority of PR visas are valid 12 months from medicals) - but there are cases when medical decision has validity shorter than 12 months resulting in earlier expiration date of PR visa. Medical decisions with shorter than 12 months validity may be issued for example in cases with some medical conditions requiring follow-up in Canada upon landing.

I'm not medical officer, not an immigration lawyer or consultant - the above is based on info gathered from reading relevant chapters of Manual and Operational Bulletins on CIC website.
Thanks for that Crazy,

We have no follow up for medicals, and they were in May and our passports all have at least 4 yrs on them. No sense at all eh!

Sarah x
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Madwife
Thanks for that Crazy,

We have no follow up for medicals, and they were in May and our passports all have at least 4 yrs on them. No sense at all eh!

Sarah x
If finding the reason is important to you then order copy of your CAIPS file and then look carefully inside to see which decision's validity date affected your visa's validity. You may (if lucky) even find out why particular's decision validity is what it is.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

I think I have it now!! It is PNP!! that was OK'd on the 22nd Jan 2009.
Thanks

Sarah x
Old Jul 9th 2010, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

I think I have it now!! It is PNP!! that was OK'd on the 22nd Jan 2009.
Thanks

Sarah x
Yes, it is the culprit. PNP certificate is valid for 1 year.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

The expiry date of the visa is usually a year from when you did your medicals. It is only important if you actually need that time to land. If you are landing before the expiry date on your visa I wouldn't worry too much, certainly would not be worth all the rigmarole of sending them back in......unless as I have said you were not planning to land until next year. If that is the case....its rigmarole road I am afraid.
Good luck with your landing.
Stef

Hi Steve, Passport expiry was my first thought and the earliest one of ours expires is 2014.

Hi Flipance, Our ACRO certs are dated 22/3/10 so nothing explains this!

Thanks guys, just remember to check your visas thoroughly, it wont make that much difference to us, no time to change ours now!!

Thanks again
Sarah x