Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visas for Children of Permanent Residents

Visas for Children of Permanent Residents

Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

ihassan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visas for Children of Permanent Residents

Myself and my wife are Permanent Canadian Residents with landed immigrant status. We became permanent resident in 2006. We moved temporarily to Pakistan in 2006 due to family reasons. Now since, we are moving permanently back to Canada in June 2008, I would like to seek information about my children's visa.

I understand that i will have to sponsor my children once i move back to Canada. However, since both of them (ages 2.5 and 12 months) are of very young age and cant be left back in Pakistan.

I was wondering that if we apply for their visit visas for Canada so that they can travel with us, would they be eligible to get one?. Once we land there we will sponsor them.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visas for Children of Permanent Residents

Originally Posted by ihassan
Myself and my wife are Permanent Canadian Residents with landed immigrant status. We became permanent resident in 2006. We moved temporarily to Pakistan in 2006 due to family reasons. Now since, we are moving permanently back to Canada in June 2008, I would like to seek information about my children's visa.

I understand that i will have to sponsor my children once i move back to Canada. However, since both of them (ages 2.5 and 12 months) are of very young age and cant be left back in Pakistan.

I was wondering that if we apply for their visit visas for Canada so that they can travel with us, would they be eligible to get one?. Once we land there we will sponsor them.
Why was the 2.5 year old not on your original application ? It seems that you landed after s/he was born and so did so fraudulently. I doubt that CIC will be happy with any excuse you can provide and it is doubtful that you will allowed to sponsor him/her. Your own status may also be affected. I suggest you seek professional advice asap
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

ihassan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why was the 2.5 year old not on your original application ? It seems that you landed after s/he was born and so did so fraudulently. I doubt that CIC will be happy with any excuse you can provide and it is doubtful that you will allowed to sponsor him/her. Your own status may also be affected. I suggest you seek professional advice asap
Well actually we landed in 2005... 2006 was a typo. We landed and became permanent resident in April 2005. Moved back due to family reasons in may 2005. Son was born in August 2005....
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:37 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a chance for visitor visas for children, unless some miracle happens. You need to move to Canada, establish residency and start living here (employment, income, place to live, etc.) and then you may start sponsorship process.

And you should move back to Canada before you reach 1,095 days of absence. After that you must stay put in Canada for full 2 years without any option to leave, even for emergencies.

As I have stated many times over years here - leaving Canada to give birth abroad was and always is not a very smart idea. Now you'll pay the price. What you'll do if (in the worst scenario) children are found medically inadmissible to Canada?