Which Visa type?

Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

monkeyspanner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Visa type?

Once more asking for you lovely people's assistance.

Our daughter is applying to extend her time in Canada after her IEC visa expires on 11/11/2017 by applying for a Visitor visa whilst she awaits her PR outcome. The Come to Canada tool indicates that IMM 5708E is the correct form to complete.

IMM 5708E gives 3 options to choose from for what she in intending to apply for:1)"Extension of my temporary resident status " 2)Initial Temporary Resident Permit or extention to a TRP", or 3) Restoration of temporary resident status as a visitor.

Ticking 1) will work but she has a valid IEC work permit not a temporary resident permit
Ticking 2) the form validates but gives an error message when uploading.
We know that it's not 3) as her IEC/work permit is still valid but as 'status' and 'permit' is not explained and sometimes appears to be interchangeable, we are unsure which box she should check.

Obviously with IEC she had Temporary Resident status and was given a work permit. With the Visitor visa she wants to remain in Canada temporarily as a visitor (as not allowed to work). Which box is applicable to her situation?

Thanks again to you all.

Last edited by monkeyspanner; Sep 28th 2017 at 10:23 am. Reason: error
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Visa type?

Have you read this link?
Guide 5551 - Applying to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada

What information do I need to apply for an extension of my temporary status?

Full details on why you want to stay longer;
Proof of identity;
Proof of current status in Canada;
Evidence on how you will support yourself or be supported in Canada and how you will pay for transportation to leave Canada, such as:
Guarantor’s letter
Bank statement indicating the account holder’s name and the account number
Details about your plans to leave Canada, particularly the date and time of departure and the means of transportation.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/visitor.asp
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again FL for your help. Yes, all read and ready to pay and submit but have this error problem and nowhere is there an explanation of what she is trying to do.
The IMM5708E requires an answer by checking the appropriate box:

I am applying for one or more of the following:
1)Extension of my temporary resident status
2)Initial Temporary Resident Permit or extension to a TRP
3)Restoration of temporary resident status as a visitor.

Any light you can shine on the matter would be much appreiciated
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeyspanner
Thanks again FL for your help. Yes, all read and ready to pay and submit but have this error problem and nowhere is there an explanation of what she is trying to do.
The IMM5708E requires an answer by checking the appropriate box:

I am applying for one or more of the following:
1)Extension of my temporary resident status
2)Initial Temporary Resident Permit or extension to a TRP
3)Restoration of temporary resident status as a visitor.

Any light you can shine on the matter would be much appreiciated
You choose number 1 and then give the explanation as outlined in my previous post.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You choose number 1 and then give the explanation as outlined in my previous post.
Many, many thanks again, FL it is very much appreciated.

As you are fully aware by all the questions I ask, I find most of these forms somewhat confusing, compounded by the fact that we entirely misinterpreted the 52 weeks/1560 hours criteria for her application in the first place (you may recall) which has made us so wary of everything we read of CIC/IRCC as once bitten, twice shy.

Let's hope this solves one problem at least.