which visa route to use?!?

Old Nov 5th 2008, 3:01 am
Just Joined

malks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default which visa route to use?!?

hello, i've been readin on here for a bit now and pretty confused by my options! i've decided i wish to move to canada, but i dont know which route would be the best (easiest ?!?) route to take. i have looked at a few different options so here's my thoughts:

1) BUNAC visa, apply for this which would allow me into canada for a year to work, i plan to work the ski season/bum around snowboarding for the winter. then move to a big city and have a look at trying to secure a job as a quantity surveyor (got a degree in this and will have 5/6yrs experience). then if i get a job look at applying to become a permanent resident once in canada and have a job secured. is this likely to be possible say in the 6 months i'll have after the ski season?

2) skilled worker visa, looks like i would have enough points to be considered, but dont think i would have a job to go to as this is something i was going to look at after the ski season?!? i do have time as i am not yet ready to go and would be looking at 2 maybe 3 years till im ready to go. so i have the time to wait for this application route.

3) permanent resident visa. i thought this appears to be similar to the skiller worker route. not sure. again i have the time to apply for this route. but would i be accepted without a proper job confirmed to go to?

i am at a bit of a loss really with what option to take as i would love to move there with the permanent visa route sorted. i would have enough cash to survive the season in the snow then a few months if i didnt get a job. but i dont know if this is feasible and a bunac visa may be the best/easiest/quickest option. however does this allow me to apply in canada for a permanent visa.

sorry if i rambled i think i got what i wanted to say! thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:01 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which visa route to use?!?

Hello, malks, and welcome to the BE forum.

Originally Posted by malks
1) BUNAC visa, apply for this which would allow me into canada for a year to work, i plan to work the ski season/bum around snowboarding for the winter. then move to a big city and have a look at trying to secure a job as a quantity surveyor (got a degree in this and will have 5/6yrs experience). then if i get a job look at applying to become a permanent resident once in canada and have a job secured. is this likely to be possible say in the 6 months i'll have after the ski season?
Doing it in the six months you'd have left after the ski season would be tight. You have to have worked for about three months, impressed your employer with your great work, and persuaded him/her to offer you a permanent job before you can submit your permanent residence (PR) application via the skilled worker (SW) route, backed up by pre-arranged employment.

That does not leave enough time for your PR visa to be processed.

And it also has not accounted for the amount of time it might take you to find a job.

There are members of this forum who have upgraded from BUNAC to PR status. But, as far as I remember, they all started their "real" jobs as soon as possible after arriving in Canada, and that gave them enough time to receive their PR visas before their BUNAC visas had expired.

2) skilled worker visa, looks like i would have enough points to be considered, but dont think i would have a job to go to as this is something i was going to look at after the ski season?!? i do have time as i am not yet ready to go and would be looking at 2 maybe 3 years till im ready to go. so i have the time to wait for this application route.
If you don't belong to an occupation that is officially listed as being in extreme demand and if you don't have pre-arranged employment, a PR application that you submitted via the SW route would be rejected out of hand. See the Wiki article called THE LIST.

3) permanent resident visa. i thought this appears to be similar to the skiller worker route.
This is a subset of the PR visa. You can apply for PR via the SW route, you can apply for PR via the spousal sponsorship route, and so on. Some members of this forum abbreviate skilled worker to SW, and some of them abbreviate it to FSW (for federal skilled worker, I suppose to distinguish this route from the provincial nominee programs, PNPs).

i would have enough cash to survive the season in the snow then a few months if i didnt get a job. but i dont know if this is feasible and a bunac visa may be the best/easiest/quickest option. however does this allow me to apply in canada for a permanent visa.
As I explained above, if you want to upgrade from BUNAC to PR, I think you would enhance your chances considerably if you looked for work in your primary field of expertise.

How about finding a job as a quantity surveyor and skiing on the weekends? There are several members of this forum who have done that and who are living the work/ski combination even as we speak (or will be when the ski hills open in a couple of days).
x
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:22 am
Just Joined

malks is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply, it's helped me out a bit. really I need to wait and see what comes of 'the list' as if my job isn't on it then there is no way of even being considered for a permanent visa.

I really want to move and have the fun of the ski season first to be honest. I've done 5yrs working and doing uni part time and I want the break and to properly bum around and work easy jobs for a while.

is there no way of getting a permanent visa without full time employment arranged?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:35 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malks
is there no way of getting a permanent visa without full time employment arranged?
You could marry a Canadian, and get in via the spousal sponsorship route.

Okay, I'm pulling your leg on the one hand, but then on the other hand it's the truth.

There is no easy way of getting a PR visa without pre-arranged, fulltime employment.

All of the other workarounds involve, well, a lot of work (and in many cases a substantial amount of money too).

It would help if you read the Wiki section of this website.

Hope that helps.
x