Visa renewal help

Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:35 am
Just Joined

kittnwitten is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Visa renewal help

I am currently in Canada through BUNAC and my open work visa expires May 30th 2007. I have a job offer and sent my LMO application in 29th March. My lawyer advised me to apply to extend my visa (I am using form IMM 1249) while I am waiting for my LMO but I have a few questions regarding this form:

1. Isn't there supposed to be a section on the LMO result? I can't see one but I know that you need a positive result before they can issue the visa.

2. I am applying for commonlaw so my partner can also stay (and I have the relevant form to support my application) but under question 2 - my family members it says type of document requested A B C D E or NONE with boxes to check. What are these for? I have the guide to fill in the form from the CIC website but it doesn't say anything about this.....

3. Question 9 asks for my original reason for coming to Canada to which I have simply answered "to experience living and working in Canada". Is this enough or am I supposed to write an essay here or something endearing to capture their sympathy?

4. Question 10 my request: states I want to extend my stay in Canada until..... but I don't yet know how long the LMO will be issued for. I my employer has requested that she wants to keep me permanently but if they can't grant that at least 1 year to train someone up to my level. Also I need to give reasons so again how elaborate must this be?

5. Question 11: to support myself in Canada asks how much money I have available. I have a credit card with $4000 limit and a steady income. Will this do or do you need a minimum of a certain amount of savings? Also I was going to put that I receive support from my father because I can if I need to but I don't want to come accross as being dependent. Should I put my partners income also?

6. Fees do I need to pay for my partner also (a total of $300)?

Sorry for so many questions but I am hoping some of you have just filled in the same form and even if you can only answer one of my questions it will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:36 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa renewal help

We were in a similar position to you last year; on BUNAC visa, had job offer and waiting for LMO result, but our BUNAC visas expired.

It's my understanding that the BUNAC visa can not be extended - it even states that on the visa. So we ended up returning to the UK and waiting there until +ve LMO was granted and new visas issued. It might still be worth giving it a go though - who knows.

However, if you get +ve LMO and submit application for new visa before your current BUNAC visa expires, then you can both legally stay in Canada until new visa is issued (this is called implied status). For this you need to apply for a new visa - ie not just extend current visa, your lawyer should know this.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

kittnwitten is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response, nice to hear someone has been through the same problems with positive results. I was on the understanding that implied status applied to visa renewals also. I spoke with my lawyer and she is positive it is a renewal even though it says not extendable. I think it means that it can't be renewed as an open work visa. What field of work are you into and did the commonlaw application work ok?

Gemma
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:18 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittnwitten
Thanks for the response, nice to hear someone has been through the same problems with positive results. I was on the understanding that implied status applied to visa renewals also. I spoke with my lawyer and she is positive it is a renewal even though it says not extendable. I think it means that it can't be renewed as an open work visa. What field of work are you into and did the commonlaw application work ok?

Gemma
Yes thats right - but if you don't get +LMO before your BUNAC visa expires, then you have no grounds for renewal, it will almost definitely be refused.

In my opinion if you get +LMO, and submit application before 30th May then no problem. If you haven't heard from HRDC by May 30th then you have to leave Canada.

I work in Finance, LMO took about 6-8 weeks here in BC. I'm married so didn't have to worry about the common law thing. We just paid the additional $150 and filled in a separate application.

Good luck, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions

Rob
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

gleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura about

hi Gemma,

i also have a thread here for LMO Timeline, might as well post your timeline, maybe someone can give you advise on my thread.

here is the link:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441170

@Rob_999
can you also post your timeline

Thanks
Erick