Visa Questions

Old Oct 24th 2014, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

magicdonson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Questions

Hi all.

First of all I am sorry for posting another visa question as I know there are a lot on this subject here...but I guess that is because the process is quite complex.

I was hoping for a little advice on the best visas for my family and I to come over to work and live in Canada, as our situation seems a little different from most posts and advice that I can find.

I am currently going for a senior management job based in Vancouver, which I am very keen to get. Having spoken to the company they seem unwilling to act as a sponsor given the amount of paperwork and time involved. Therefore I want to get the ball rolling and start my application straight away. I presume I have to apply for a skilled worker visa which I am currently starting the application for. The issue arises with my family. I am currently with a long term partner but we are not married. We have a young daughter (1 and half years) ! And a baby due in February. This means that my partner is unable to work whilst being at home for the baby.

I will be earning enough to support my family in Canada, but with regards to a visa, how can we apply in a way that my family are considered as well. If my partner was to apply separately I don't believe given her present state that she would get a skilled worker visa. We both have European passports and a clean criminal record etc but her education is not as high as my own. As you can tell I am worried that she wont get a skilled worker visa and be able to come over. Are there other options where we can either be assessed together or where she can still come as a dependant etc to me, tied to my visa?

Any information would be grateful as its a bit of a minefield workig it all out.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Questions

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Firstly you'll need to really hurry up with your FSW app, as the program ends on 31st Dec, and it'll take you a good few weeks to get an application together. Plus your NOC code quota may be full before that date, which one is it?

And presumably you know the processing times for a FSW visa? It's just that it sounds as though you're only doing the application and getting a visa for the job, but I'm assuming they won't wait 2+ years for you to be able to start work?!

As for your partner, if you've lived together for a year or more (and can prove it using things like utility bills in both names, joint bank acc, etc), then she'd simply go on your application as your common-law spouse, and would also get PR. If you've downloaded the application guide from the CIC website then it should tell you in there who would be able to accompany you as 'dependents'.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 24th 2014 at 7:51 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:21 am
Just Joined

magicdonson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much Christmasoompa.

It certainty looks like we are in a race against time to get all of the documentation completed in time. Do you know what will be replacing the FSW visa? The job I was going for was in the NOC:0013, however my current experience might not fully cover that, as it is a step up in position. I am just hoping we can get everything done in time.

A few questions that maybe you have had experience of before. Being the principle applicant, do I need to do the language exam (even though I am british and speak fluent english)...as it appears that is the case when reading the application guide. Additionally, if we wait until after the birth of our second child (due in Feb) to move but obtain the visa prior, do we have to re-do the whole visa to add our second child as a dependant??

I hope someone has had experience of this as to be able to shed some light on it

Thank you once again for your help
Old Oct 27th 2014, 6:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magicdonson
It certainty looks like we are in a race against time to get all of the documentation completed in time.
Yep!

Do you know what will be replacing the FSW visa?
The new Expression of Interest system - see the sticky thread above or the CIC website for more info. It's predicted by most on the forum to make it much harder for most to qualify.

The job I was going for was in the NOC:0013, however my current experience might not fully cover that, as it is a step up in
Do check that very carefully, there's no point in applying if you're just going to have your application rejected! You'd need to prove you do at least half of the duties listed under that NOC code (and have done for a year or more full-time), so do double check that you can provide evidence of that before you apply.

Being the principle applicant, do I need to do the language exam (even though I am british and speak fluent english)...as it appears that is the case when reading the application guide.
Yes, all applicants have to.

Additionally, if we wait until after the birth of our second child (due in Feb) to move but obtain the visa prior, do we have to re-do the whole visa to add our second child as a dependant??
You wouldn't obtain the visa prior to Feb! As per my post above, are you aware of the current processing times? Assuming you'd be applying with London as your visa office, it's currently at 27 months so you'd obtain your visas in early 2017 using that timescale as a very rough guide.

But no, you don't need to redo the app, you'd just add your new baby to the application after s/he is born.

HTH a bit, good luck.