Wikiposts

Visa query

Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Mountain Runner will become famous soon enoughMountain Runner will become famous soon enough
Default Visa query

Sorry, the answer to this may be somewhere amongst this HUGE forum but it would take me all week to find it.

We are thinking about moving to Canada, although maybe not for good. We are prepared for the fact that we may not like it there and want to move back after a couple of years. Primarily we want to take time out for a better quality of life and so that I can have a break from my stressful career.

My husband may be able to work for current employer over there (he workd from home).

Now from what we have seen it can take 3-4 years to get a residency visa. Does that mean we have to wait four years to go and live out there, or can we go live out there and then get the residency visa?

Maybe that sounds really daft but if we had to wait four years our life situation could be so different it would no longer be applicable to the process (ie, my kids would have finished uni, left home etc etc).

We just want a few years out there with the option to apply to stay for good if we like it.

Am I being naive? Any advice??
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:11 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa query

You could get a work permit. Maybe as an intra-company trasferee:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit.asp
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mountain Runner
Sorry, the answer to this may be somewhere amongst this HUGE forum but it would take me all week to find it.

We are thinking about moving to Canada, although maybe not for good. We are prepared for the fact that we may not like it there and want to move back after a couple of years. Primarily we want to take time out for a better quality of life and so that I can have a break from my stressful career.

My husband may be able to work for current employer over there (he workd from home).

Now from what we have seen it can take 3-4 years to get a residency visa. Does that mean we have to wait four years to go and live out there, or can we go live out there and then get the residency visa?

Maybe that sounds really daft but if we had to wait four years our life situation could be so different it would no longer be applicable to the process (ie, my kids would have finished uni, left home etc etc).

We just want a few years out there with the option to apply to stay for good if we like it.

Am I being naive? Any advice??
If you are applying via the skilled worker route then it would take 4 to 5 years if you apply now.

but if you get a job offer, then things could would be much quicker.

regs
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Mountain Runner will become famous soon enoughMountain Runner will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Reghuraj
If you are applying via the skilled worker route then it would take 4 to 5 years if you apply now.

but if you get a job offer, then things could would be much quicker.

regs
Ok, so my husband currently works from home (software consultant)for an American company, that company also has a Canadian H/O.

So, would having a current American employer who was prepared to let him work in Canada still be classed as having a job out there, or would he have to ask the comany whether he could 'technically' work from the Canada office (even though he would in fact be working from home)?

All very complicated I know but the most simplest solution for us would be to work for the same part of the company but just to be living in canada not England. We're just not sure of that's possible or if that would enable us to leapfrog the 4 year wait.