Visa Options

Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

El Supremo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Options

Hi,

I'm a 27 year old UK citizen and I plan on moving to Canada.

I'm a month or two away from qualifying as a solicitor and have 4 or so years' experience as a paralegal. My plan is to qualify and then make the move across the water.

I would prefer to live and work in Vancouver, Calgary or Toronto. Whether I work in law or outside of it I don't mind (I'm mindful of how difficult it is to re-qualify as a lawyer in Canada so may work as a paralegal, at least in the short term).

I undertsand that I would qualify for an IEC permit which would enable me to work for 12 months. I also understand that following 12 months of employment I would be eligible to apply for permanent residency via the Canada Experience Class visa and this would probably be my plan.

My questions are as follows:

1) assuming that I obtain an IEC permit can I visit Canada as a tourist, find work, and then re-enter using the IEC permit to work legally (thereby not wasting any of the 12 months permit looking for jobs)?

2) how long does the permanent residency application take? If it takes more than a few months would I be able to re-new my IEC permit at any time or would I have to wait until the exitsing one expires (if so, I'm assumg I would have to wait until the following round of applications which could leave me without a visa)?

3) would working as a paralegal qualify as eligible work for the purposes of the Canada Experience Class visa (the criteria isn't the clearest).

I'm sure I've forgotten to ask something but any help would be greatly appreciated - there's so much information on the internet about this it's all a bit bewildering.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Options

Originally Posted by El Supremo
1) assuming that I obtain an IEC permit can I visit Canada as a tourist, find work, and then re-enter using the IEC permit to work legally (thereby not wasting any of the 12 months permit looking for jobs)?
Yes. If the CBSA officer allows you to (there have been instances where forum members haven't been allowed to do that).

2) how long does the permanent residency application take? If it takes more than a few months
Currently at 13 months. Processing times: Permanent Residence — Economic classes But you're aware that the whole system is changing in January, to an Expression of Interest system, including the CEC?

would I be able to re-new my IEC permit at any time or would I have to wait until the exitsing one expires (if so, I'm assumg I would have to wait until the following round of applications which could leave me without a visa)?
You can't renew it, no. So you'd have to get another one if you wanted to keep working, or look at other visa options such as your employer sponsoring you for PNP or LMIA.

3) would working as a paralegal qualify as eligible work for the purposes of the Canada Experience Class visa (the criteria isn't the clearest).
The criteria tells you what skilled work experience means, you need to figure out which NOC Level the job comes under and see if it is classed as skilled. Determine your eligibility – Canadian Experience Class

HTH, good luck.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

El Supremo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes. If the CBSA officer allows you to (there have been instances where forum members haven't been allowed to do that).

Currently at 13 months. Processing times: Permanent Residence — Economic classes But you're aware that the whole system is changing in January, to an Expression of Interest system, including the CEC?

You can't renew it, no. So you'd have to get another one if you wanted to keep working, or look at other visa options such as your employer sponsoring you for PNP or LMIA.

The criteria tells you what skilled work experience means, you need to figure out which NOC Level the job comes under and see if it is classed as skilled. Determine your eligibility – Canadian Experience Class

HTH, good luck.
Thanks for your help!

Regarding obtaining a second IEC permit I assume that I can make the application before the first expires but that it wouldn't be issued until the first permit expires?
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding obtaining a second IEC permit I assume that I can make the application before the first expires but that it wouldn't be issued until the first permit expires?
Exactly.

Good luck.