Visa nightmares!

Old May 11th 2012, 2:40 am
Just Joined

DannyWhy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa nightmares!

Hey there, brand new to the forum chat so go easy on me! Was hoping some of you guys could maybe point me the right direction?

Long story short....I am 26, I'm self employed and work in the oil and gas sector in the Uk, have a Canadian girlfriend who is here visiting me in Scotland, I'm planning to head over next month to visit her family, friends etc. The original idea was to apply for a working holiday visa (IEC) which I have half done, but I leave the country next week for Asia and will not have it completed in time and also don't know if it is the right direction for what I'm after. Am I right in saying you have to be in your country of residence for 18 months out of the last 36 before you apply? I ask as I only got back from a year in Australia 6 months ago. I'm not sure what entitlements I may or may not have since my girlfriend is Canadian. I am so unsure with the visa process for Canada it is literally driving me mad! Seem to be going round in cirlces but could anyone suggest if the IEC is the right option for me or should i be going down a different route?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance,

Danny.
Old May 11th 2012, 2:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa nightmares!

Hi Danny, and welcome to the forum.

Do you actually want to move permanently to Canada, or just have a year or two to see if you like it? If the latter, then the IEC that you've already applied for is your best bet, although you are correct that you need to have spent 18 months out of the previous 3 years in the UK to be eligible, so it sounds as if that might not apply to you?

Originally Posted by DannyWhy
I'm not sure what entitlements I may or may not have since my girlfriend is Canadian.
No 'entitlements', but it's possible that she can sponsor you for Permanent Residency if you've lived together as husband and wife for a year or more (and would therefore be classed as her common-law spouse) - does that apply to you? If so, that may be a good option for you.

Failing that, have a look at this Wiki article which hopefully will help you figure out which visa route you are eligible for - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

HTH, good luck.
Old May 11th 2012, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa nightmares!

An alternative to the IEC, if you have a need to work in Canada short-term, would be a work permit with a Labour Market Opinion. Depending on which Province you are heading to, there may be jobs in the oil and gas industry.