Visa info

Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:57 am
Just Joined

sarahpaulw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa info

Hi

My husband has dual Citizenship (British/Canadian) due to his mother being Canadian, My husband was born in the Uk and as never lived in canada.

We are wanting to emigrate to Canada and are aware that my Husband can sponsor me and our two children and that we are able to apply for a residential visa, however we are not wanting to apply for these yet until we know that we are happy and settled in Canada.

We are wanting to move to Canada and was wondering what type of visa I would need to apply for to be able for myself to live and work in Canada?
Also if there is anything that we will need to apply for, for our two sons aged 4 and 6 months to be able to to live and have schooling over there?

We have tried to look into this and have had mixed reviews to what sort of visa I would require ie: Family sponsor visa, Open Visa, Normal work permit.
I was thinking of going out to Canada on my passport as I belive that I am able to go out on this for 6 months and hope I get a job within this time or whether I am able to go out there and live with him if we have savings to live off should I decide not work.

My husband works in the motor trade as a panel beater and as been offered a job already, I am an expert (supervisor) working for an energy company.
We have been to Alberta, Calgary, Canada and this is where we are wanting to live.

I would be grateful for as much feedback about this and what other options are available to myself other than having to apply for a sponsor and residencial visa.

Thanks Sarah and Paul.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa info

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by sarahpaulw
We are wanting to move to Canada and was wondering what type of visa I would need to apply for to be able for myself to live and work in Canada?
If you don't want to apply for PR yet, you'll need to find a job offer and an employer prepared to go through the hassle/wait/paperwork of hiring you. Once you've got a job offer and Labour Market Opinion (which is what the employer has to apply for, to prove there is no Canadian willing, or able, to do the job) then you would apply for your Temp Work Permit.

Problem is that, tbh, it's going to probably take longer and far more hassle to do this rather than just apply for PR!

Your only other option is to go over on a visitor visa, but you wouldn't be able to work on that (plus you and the kids wouldn't be eligible for healthcare, etc).

Also if there is anything that we will need to apply for, for our two sons aged 4 and 6 months to be able to to live and have schooling over there?
Assuming you go over on a Temp Work Permit, your sons would be able to attend school no problems.

We have tried to look into this and have had mixed reviews to what sort of visa I would require ie: Family sponsor visa, Open Visa, Normal work permit.
Family sponsor visa is what you say you don't want to do yet (i.e. PR), Open Visa you cannot get (an Open Work Permit is only for spouses of those on other visas i.e. Study Permits etc - your husband won't have a visa, so this doesn't apply to you), normal work permit is as above i.e. a Temp Work Permit, for which you need a job offer and LMO.

Hope that helps a bit, good luck.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

sarahpaulw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa info

Thanks alot for this infomation this has helped us a lot.
Thanks again