Which visa and how long?

Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:19 am
Just Joined

ireland670 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which visa and how long?

Hello everyone, sorry to be so naive but I am very new to this. Can anyone answer the following questions please:

I am from London I am married with two kids under 13, what is the average time from filling out the forms and paying the fees, to being able to leave the UK for Canada? We are planning to live in Vancouver.

I am able to take enough money to not have to work for a long time. But I do want to work. Should I apply for a Skilled worker visa, or a freelance visa or an investor visa? Basically I want to go then either get a job when the time is right or start a business, but I don't want to fill out the wrong form.

Thanks in advance if you can help.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:23 am
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all
Default Re: Which visa and how long?

Originally Posted by ireland670
Hello everyone, sorry to be so naive but I am very new to this. Can anyone answer the following questions please:

I am from London I am married with two kids under 13, what is the average time from filling out the forms and paying the fees, to being able to leave the UK for Canada? We are planning to live in Vancouver.

I am able to take enough money to not have to work for a long time. But I do want to work. Should I apply for a Skilled worker visa, or a freelance visa or an investor visa? Basically I want to go then either get a job when the time is right or start a business, but I don't want to fill out the wrong form.

Well there are a multitude of optiod, have a look at the Wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/

If I recall right for the Inverstor Visa you have to invest at least 800.000$ if you can afford that then it is surely a viable route.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome! Forget the skilled worker visa, the wait time at the beginning of the year was 5-8 years but in Feb 2008 all applications were put on hold and now they are all just piling up and waiting for the changes in immigration procedures to be brought in later this year. It's anticipated by most immigration experts that those changes will mean any applications without arranged employment will be rejected.

If you can do the investor visa then that may be your best bet, but as the pp has suggested, have a good read of the Wiki which will give you more information about all the routes.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:31 pm
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Well more info on the Investor Visa Route is here
http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/immigra...tors/index.asp

in short need to be 800.000 et worth and willing to invest 400.000$
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:46 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It is impossible to answer your question as asked.

First - you need to tell us if you want to live in Canada temporary for few years or if you want to move here permanently.

Second - if permanently then in order to give you any solid answer your case needs to be assessed. Only then someone qualified to advise will be able to tell you what chances you have and what would be the best route to take.

Please feel free to contact me directly for free evaluation.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retsujou
in short need to be 800.000 net worth and willing to invest 400.000$
Although you are quite right, in practice you have to be prepared to spend $125,000 - $150,000.

A Canadian bank will be happy to lend the Government $400,000 on your behalf. After all, they are guaranteed to get it back. All you have to do is pay them the interest and fees up front. Depending on the deal you can negotiate this is likely to be in the range I mentioned.

In the meantime you have the remaining $650,000 or so to invest in a revenue generating business in Canada.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

ENGLANDIA will become famous soon enough

Hello , i applied thru the Business Entrepreneur category . My application was under the old immigration act .I applied in June 2001 + finally got landed on
22 sep 2005 . Immigration consultant had said it would only take 18-24 mths.