Visa does not guarantee reentry

Old Aug 9th 2004, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

tsananez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa does not guarantee reentry

Hello,
I am under working in Canada under a Canadian working permit. The permit states that it does not guarantee re-entry to Canada. I need to travel to US on Monday and come back to Canada on Tuesday...I recall reading that I could travel to US and come back to Canada even if I don't have a multiple entry Visa...what I could not do is to travel beyond the US and Canada...
Please I need you guys to confirm if I am right...
Thanks
Old Aug 9th 2004, 9:48 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa does not guarantee reentry

Hi Tsananez

Originally Posted by tsananez
Hello,
I am under working in Canada under a Canadian working permit. The permit states that it does not guarantee re-entry to Canada. I need to travel to US on Monday and come back to Canada on Tuesday...I recall reading that I could travel to US and come back to Canada even if I don't have a multiple entry Visa...what I could not do is to travel beyond the US and Canada...
Please I need you guys to confirm if I am right...
Thanks
As long as it is the continental US and St. Pierre and Miquelon you can re-enter.

PMM
Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Visa does not guarantee reentry

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi Tsananez

As long as it is the continental US and St. Pierre and Miquelon you can re-enter.

PMM
Thanks...now is there anyone else who could confirm this for me??...call me paranoic but I really would not want to have any problem if I travel to the US...
Old Aug 16th 2004, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Tarik is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Visa does not guarantee reentry

Sorry, I can not confirm anything, cuz I am not sure myself!!! Please someone!?? By the way, is it possible to get a Mult. entry visa (sticker) while being in Canada, or do I need to go to Canadia embassy?
Thanks a lot.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 10:54 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

No visitor visas are issued in Canada so you will have to apply at a mission overseas. While in Canada that would be Buffalo.
Jim Humphries, former visa officer
Originally Posted by Tarik
Sorry, I can not confirm anything, cuz I am not sure myself!!! Please someone!?? By the way, is it possible to get a Mult. entry visa (sticker) while being in Canada, or do I need to go to Canadia embassy?
Thanks a lot.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Tarik is an unknown quantity at this point

do I have to be there in person, or can I mail the application?
If in person, with a valid student auth., should I worry about not getting a visa (and later on not being addmitted back to canada)? Thank you.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

You can mail the application to Buffalo, it should take them 2-3 weeks to process it.

Originally Posted by Tarik
do I have to be there in person, or can I mail the application?
If in person, with a valid student auth., should I worry about not getting a visa (and later on not being addmitted back to canada)? Thank you.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

CanadaGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bartM
You can mail the application to Buffalo, it should take them 2-3 weeks to process it.
yes you can re-enter into canada from as long as you only visit usa.. i was also in the same situation before getting my PR. I had a single entry TRV and i went to USA and came back couple of times.. I asked the immigration lady at the border before leaving if i'd have any problem returning and she said i would be okay as long as i didnt go anywhere else but USA.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

For all of you who might need the same information:

I am here in Canada with a temporary working permit but I do not have the sticker that allows my to travel abroad and re-enter to Canada.

I have to travel to the US for business purposes and I was concerned that if I go to the states I would not be allowed to re-enter to Canada. Yesterday, after hours of trying to contact the CIC I finally could talk with an agent. She told me that Canada and US have some kind of agreement and as a consequence I could travel to the states (only) and come back even if my passport sticker was not updated. She actually gave me her agent number and name to use in case that I have any problem when coming back.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

If your work permit says "DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY", this note means that if you want to come back to Canada ONLY with the document, you can not enter the country, you need your passport to confirm your identity.

(according to Direction générale de la région métropolitaine Montreal, Integration Service)
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Ed_and_Karen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kleinluka
If your work permit says "DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY", this note means that if you want to come back to Canada ONLY with the document, you can not enter the country, you need your passport to confirm your identity.

(according to Direction générale de la région métropolitaine Montreal, Integration Service)
Is this true? Can anyone else confirm this? Does anyone know where it may state this on the CIC website? My wife and I would like to go back to the UK before the end of the year to visit family but have put it off fearing problems getting back into Canada. The help and advice we have received from the immigration office here has been less than convincing! To be honest, we are more concerned about problems leaving the UK than entering Canada. The officials in the UK gave my wife a real hard time when she came over to join me in June.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:35 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kleinluka

Originally Posted by kleinluka

Don't confuse the issue, "does not authorize re-entry" on a work/student permit is there for persons who require a TRV to entry Canada. If the leave Canada for other than continental US or St. Pierre and Miguelon, they will not be readmitted without a TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) it has nothing to do with passports.

PMM
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Ed_and_Karen is on a distinguished road

Does this apply to the UK also then? Since the UK is on the list of countries that don't require a TRV, will I be ok re-entering Canada on a one-way ticket with my valid UK passport and Canada work permit?

What does the 'valid for multiple re-entries' mean? I have this on my permit but my wife doesn't. Will this cause problems?