Wikiposts

Visa application help

Old Apr 17th 2017, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

vixin_x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa application help

Me and my wife are planning to move to Canada in Janurary 2019. We were thinking Vancouver, Vancouver island or Whistler, haven't completely decided yet. We have looked in to different types of visas but we don't know which one we should apply for. We were hoping to get in to Canada with a skilled worker visa but after looking in to it I don't know if that will be possible. I am a waitress but my wife read that photographer and baker are NOC skill level B. I used to be a photographer but it wasn't for a year and I was a baker for about 2 years. When applying does the job experience need to be your most recent job or will being a baker for 2 years a while ago get me the points I need to get the visa? If it won't get me the points what visa would be best for me to apply for?

My wife is currently a student studying zoology and later this year she will be starting her masters. She works in a call centre part time and before that she was a retail sales supervisor for 3 years which is NOC skill level B. Again i just need to know if that counts and will get her the points or if it needs to be the most recent job that counts? What would be the best visa option for her? The hope is for her to find a job in conservation with orcas or marine mammals once she has graduated which is part of the reason we are wanting to move to Canada.

We don't want to come back to the UK to live so were hoping we could find a more permanent visa instead of just a 2 year working visa. We don't have any family living in Canada and we will be moving over with our 2 cats.

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to get in as much information as I could. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 11:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa application help

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by vixin_x
We were hoping to get in to Canada with a skilled worker visa but after looking in to it I don't know if that will be possible. I am a waitress but my wife read that photographer and baker are NOC skill level B.
B is still a skilled worker - 'skilled' means Level A, O or B. So she would qualify as a skilled worker, the crucial thing is to check how many points you'd score on the CRS and see if it would be enough to get an invite to apply for PR.

When applying does the job experience need to be your most recent job or will being a baker for 2 years a while ago get me the points I need to get the visa? If it won't get me the points what visa would be best for me to apply for?
Any job within the last 10 years that's skilled will count as qualifying experience.

We don't want to come back to the UK to live so were hoping we could find a more permanent visa instead of just a 2 year working visa. We don't have any family living in Canada and we will be moving over with our 2 cats.
If you do qualify for the IEC visa (i.e. you're aged 30 or under), then that might be the best way to go anyway. You could apply for PR once out there, but you'd get more points due to Canadian experience etc, so it might make a difference. Of course, if you do qualify for PR now and are sure you want to move permanently, then go for it! But the IEC is a good option if you don't qualify or just want to try life in Canada out.

HTH, best of luck.