British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Visa application for canada and US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/visa-application-canada-us-897700/)

SYCU Jun 6th 2017 10:31 pm

Visa application for canada and US

Hi,

I'd like to immigrate in Canada or USA.

I'd like to apply for the new brunswick pilot program as a back up plan if my US visa would be denied.

If I apply for the visas at the same time, could that hurt my applications in the US or Canada ? Because I know they have an agreement and they share informations on immigration...

christmasoompa Jun 6th 2017 10:35 pm

Re: Visa application for canada and US

It's not an issue from a Federal point of view, although assuming you're talking about the Atlantic pilot program, you do need an endorsement letter from your province of choice (as well as the job offer etc), and for that you usually have to show you are committed to the province.

Tbh, the chances of you finding job offers from employers prepared to sponsor you in both countries is pretty remote (unless you have *very* sought after skills) and having two potential visa applications in process at the same time is very low, so I wouldn't worry about it. Unlikely to happen imo.

HTH.

SYCU Jun 7th 2017 8:38 am

My wife went to a conference on canada immigration few months ago, the immigration agent from new brunswick who was there told us having a job offer is not mandatory with this program.

From what she said our chances was not remote.

christmasoompa Jun 7th 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by SYCU (Post 12267855)
My wife went to a conference on canada immigration few months ago, the immigration agent from new brunswick who was there told us having a job offer is not mandatory with this program.

Depends what program you're asking about, you mentioned 'pilot', so I assumed you meant the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program, as you can see a job offer is required for any of the 3 streams under it - Atlantic Immigration Pilot

HTH.

mikelincs Jun 7th 2017 10:04 am

Originally Posted by SYCU (Post 12267855)

And he would, of course, tell you anything to get you to sign up as that is his way of making money.

SYCU Jun 8th 2017 8:39 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12267902)
And he would, of course, tell you anything to get you to sign up as that is his way of making money.

No she was a agent from immigration services, The program is called "initiative strategique" it's available for manitoba and new brunswick for the francophone, it's actually not available online.

You get a temporary permanent residency, I believe you have 3 months to find a job

Requirement is to be bilingual, french/english, have money on a bank account, and goint to an exploratory visit for at least 7 days in the province, and then at the end of the visit you have an interview with immigration in fredericton NB

Pollyana Jun 8th 2017 10:19 am

Originally Posted by SYCU (Post 12268609)
No she was a agent from immigration services, The program is called "initiative strategique" it's available for manitoba and new brunswick for the francophone, it's actually not available online.

You get a temporary permanent residency, I believe you have 3 months to find a job

Requirement is to be bilingual, french/english, have money on a bank account, and goint to an exploratory visit for at least 7 days in the province, and then at the end of the visit you have an interview with immigration in fredericton NB

How on earth can one get 'temporary permanent residency' its a contradiction in terms!

christmasoompa Jun 8th 2017 11:06 am

Originally Posted by SYCU (Post 12268609)

Ah, ok, that's a different stream of the PNP then. There is plenty of info about the PNP Strategic Initiatives online as well, including a whole thread about it here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...iative-702457/ Although the MB stream is on hold at the moment, but the NB one was reopened at the end of last year iirc to take in something like 650 families under it, no idea on if they've met that quota yet though.

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12268690)
How on earth can one get 'temporary permanent residency' its a contradiction in terms!

Oxymoron anyone?! :lol: There's no such thing as temp PR for Canada, I think the OP has just misunderstood the two stage process of a PNP app.

In any event OP, applying for a visa for the US wouldn't be an issue, although as said above I think your chances are remote of qualifying for both and having 2 applications in at the same time (I never said your chances of qualifying for one were remote, you misread what I said - just that you would be unlikely to have two visa apps running concurrently).

HTH and good luck.