Visa Advice

Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

IanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really nice
Default Visa Advice

Hi guys,

I was just hoping for some additional information on the question I posted out a few months ago.

I been working for PwC in Toronto, in their Cyber Security division on my second year of an IEC visa. The visa is set to expire in August of this year, at which time I won't have the 12 months experience to apply for PR.

I was offered the job while living in Canada and working for another company (telesales, which I don't think is a qualified skilled experience), so it's looking like I will have to apply for a work permit and have PwC file for an LMO.

Once I have the 12 months experience I will be able to apply for PR.

Does this sound about right to those who know? I have been receiving some help from the company, but they are more interested in the PR side of things, which I don't think I'm able to apply for.

Can anyone advise me before the time starts getting a little too close for comfort?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Advice

Originally Posted by IanT86
I was offered the job while living in Canada and working for another company (telesales, which I don't think is a qualified skilled experience)
No idea, you'd need to look the NOC code up yourself to see if it was or not tbh.

so it's looking like I will have to apply for a work permit and have PwC file for an LMO.
Or apply for PR.

but they are more interested in the PR side of things, which I don't think I'm able to apply for.
Is PNP not an option then?

Can anyone advise me before the time starts getting a little too close for comfort?
Personally, I get the LMO application started now. That takes around 12-16 weeks on average, but if it's refused first time they might need to reapply, so I wouldn't risk leaving it too close to August. I'd just see if they'll apply now, and then you can switch to a 'normal' TWP hopefully.

Or, if you apply for PR, then once you're at first stage approval you could apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit which would cover you until you get PR.

HTH.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

IanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No idea, you'd need to look the NOC code up yourself to see if it was or not tbh.

Or apply for PR.

Is PNP not an option then?

Personally, I get the LMO application started now. That takes around 12-16 weeks on average, but if it's refused first time they might need to reapply, so I wouldn't risk leaving it too close to August. I'd just see if they'll apply now, and then you can switch to a 'normal' TWP hopefully.

Or, if you apply for PR, then once you're at first stage approval you could apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit which would cover you until you get PR.

HTH.
Thanks for the quick reply.

My only hesitation with applying for PR is my lack of 12 months experience. I figure I can get the LMO in the mean time, then in December apply for the PR when I have hit that 12 month minimum.

Are LMO applications difficult to get, or is there a fairly decent chance if the job is skilled and the role fairly specific?

Again thanks for your help. There is so many different options and routes to get a visa, I just need to make sure I take the one with the highest potential for success
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:29 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick reply.

My only hesitation with applying for PR is my lack of 12 months experience. I figure I can get the LMO in the mean time, then in December apply for the PR when I have hit that 12 month minimum.

Are LMO applications difficult to get, or is there a fairly decent chance if the job is skilled and the role fairly specific?

Again thanks for your help. There is so many different options and routes to get a visa, I just need to make sure I take the one with the highest potential for success
The 12 month work requirement is if you are applying through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) stream. Provided your job is classed as skilled O/A/B then there is no minimum 'working in Canada' requirement to apply for PR under the FSW with job offer stream. Your other option, as christmasoompa suggested, is through the PNP stream.