Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

VISA about to expire, new not yet been issued

VISA about to expire, new not yet been issued

Old May 9th 2016, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default VISA about to expire, new not yet been issued

This is a complicated one, sorry in advance!

I have Canadian citizenship through descent.
Husband has a twp.

We moved to Canada in December, due to a royal balls up by the immigration lawyers the three kids paperwork was incorrect and they were given a 6month standard visitor entrance at the airport with the requirement we get it all sorted (tbh I think the guy wanted to to go home as it was late on a Sunday night and just waved us through!!).

Eldest is entitled to citizenship by descent. We sent off for proof of citizenship early in January, guidance at that point was 5months which was mid May. It now says 6 months and when I ring cic or check online there is no update yet so they haven't even started his application. I do have a letter confirming receipt at the end of January.

Younger 2, do not have citizenship by descent (born after 2009) and the immigration lawyers have sent off the forms to add them to the twp. (Yes the lawyers who ballsed up first time so I'm not feeling confident there either) based on advised processing times, this will be completed on exactly the date the current permits expire.

So, we are waiting for eldest citizenship and younger 2 to be added to twp. Their visitor visa expires mid June.

Can anyone tell me what happens if they doesn't come through in time? Is there anything I can or need to do to?

Healthcare - I know we have to get temp insurance again like we had when we first landed.
Education - as I have citizenship they are ok I think?

I'm having a slight panic they might be deported or it will affect the applications?
Old May 9th 2016, 4:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VISA about to expire, new not yet been issued

They don't get 'added' to the TWP. What you need to apply for are visitor records - which would mean going back to a Port of Entry (they can't issue them otherwise) - I'm very surprised that you weren't issued them at the time. Alternative, you can apply for an extension to their visitor status (which I believe is what the Immi consultant has done?) and they would be on implied status whilst they wait and until CIC make a decision - provided that CIC receive the application prior to their current visitor status expiring.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...ty/implied.asp

Have you started your sponsorship of your husband and two younger children yet? I would recommend doing it asap - and if you apply using the 'outland' forms (even though you are in Canada, it's perfectly legal) they should get their PR status in about 8-10 months.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 9th 2016 at 4:40 am.
Old May 9th 2016, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VISA about to expire, new not yet been issued

Yes it's an extension to the permit (just checked the paperwork that the husband hid in his 'filing system'!)

Thanks for clarifying, so basically answer is don't worry.