Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Vancouver via USA, do I need to fill any US Visa Waiver or similar?

Vancouver via USA, do I need to fill any US Visa Waiver or similar?

Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:14 am
Just Joined

steveo88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver via USA, do I need to fill any US Visa Waiver or similar?

Hi,

Probably worrying about nothing, but im flying to Vancouver via LAX and am wondering if I need to fill out any of the US security/Visa waiver forms? I presume not as im only there for a few hours and wont be leaving the airport but want to put my mind at rest!

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:57 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver via USA, do I need to fill any US Visa Waiver or similar?

Cant say for certain but I suspect you will havevto clear us immigration. The us don't tend to care that you are only transiting

The good news is that you will probably pre clear at Vancouver
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveo88
Hi,

Probably worrying about nothing, but im flying to Vancouver via LAX and am wondering if I need to fill out any of the US security/Visa waiver forms? I presume not as im only there for a few hours and wont be leaving the airport but want to put my mind at rest!

Thanks in advance
It doesn't matter whether you are in transit or not, the same rules apply to you. In fact, you might not even be allowed to board the plane if you don't have authorization to travel to the US.

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/esta_faq.asp

I will transit the U.S. on my way to a third country. Do I still need ESTA travel authorization?
Yes. If you are transiting without a visa, you are utilizing the VWP and therefore must have ESTA travel authorization as of January 12, 2009.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 31st 2011 at 11:50 am.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

steveo88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou both for your help, just filled it in now, $14 for the privilege of 5 hours in LAX! Thanks again, Steve
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveo88
Thankyou both for your help, just filled it in now, $14 for the privilege of 5 hours in LAX! Thanks again, Steve
At least you have it now and it's valid for 2 years assuming your passport doesn't expire first. I found another extensive FAQ section here:

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_vis...wp/faq_vwp.xml