Vancouver Traffic

Old Apr 6th 2005, 1:35 pm
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough
Default Vancouver Traffic

How is the Vancouver traffic early in the morning? I will have an appointment at the American Consulate at 8:00. I was initially thinking about staying in a hotel a walking distance from the consulate, but I found out that it is either pricy or I can go cheap but without having my own shower and bathroom! So I'm thinking about staying in a hotel in Burnaby, so I wanted to know how is traffic driving from Burnaby to Vancouver at 7:00 am?

Any suggestions about hotels?

Last edited by MJ23; Apr 6th 2005 at 1:38 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

guest210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vancouver Traffic

MJ, for the amount you will save staying in Burnaby, you will make up in aggravation getting and parking downtown. Try Travelocity.ca for deals, my family has found amazing deals on there--like 4 star hotels for American motel prices.

But if you do stay in Burnaby, I would say, just leave your car at the motel and take the Skytrain or 99B Line bus--it will be much faster. The Consulate is a 2 minute walk from the Burrard Skytrain station downtown.

You can get private rooms in hostels, but most of them don't have private baths.

Traffic in Vancouver can be aggravating as there are no freeways (which makes it very pretty), but it isn't as bad as Seattle during the morning rush.

Well, if you are going at 8am next Friday by any chance, look for me, that is when I will be getting my replacement passport to take to Buffalo.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:51 pm
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by Inspace
MJ, for the amount you will save staying in Burnaby, you will make up in aggravation getting and parking downtown. Try Travelocity.ca for deals, my family has found amazing deals on there--like 4 star hotels for American motel prices.

But if you do stay in Burnaby, I would say, just leave your car at the motel and take the Skytrain or 99B Line bus--it will be much faster. The Consulate is a 2 minute walk from the Burrard Skytrain station downtown.

You can get private rooms in hostels, but most of them don't have private baths.

Traffic in Vancouver can be aggravating as there are no freeways (which makes it very pretty), but it isn't as bad as Seattle during the morning rush.

Well, if you are going at 8am next Friday by any chance, look for me, that is when I will be getting my replacement passport to take to Buffalo.
Thanks for the tips No I will be going on Monday May 2nd!

Hey what do you think of the Budget Inn Patricia Hotel on East Hasting? It is suspeciously very cheap!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

guest210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, there is a reason for that. You may have read about how Vancouver has one of Canada's most notorious neighbourhoods for drugs, crime, and prostitution. That hotel is more or less right in the middle of it. But who knows, it could be great inside, I have never been there. But don't worry, violent crime in Vancouver is fairly low--so just make sure you keep an eye on your stuff, and walk up and down Pender instead of Hastings
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

ChicagoJer is an unknown quantity at this point

Try priceline.com for hotels - I was able to stay at the downtown Vancouver hyatt Regency not long ago for USD$50 per night.

Other options that can save you money:

Days Inn on Kingsway- this is in a mostly residential section of the Eastside, but it's really reasonable and it's a 10-minute walk to the Nanaimo SkyTrain station.

Quality Hotel - Inn at False Creek : this is in an area of downtown that's within walking distance of YaleTown and the West End.

Avoid the Budget Inn & Best Western Chateau Granville (located in a noisy section of Granville Street).

Cheers,

Jerry
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

viperrt10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey my brother MJ! So glad you plans are finalized! I myself will be crossing over(Peace Bridge) on the 25th. My visa appt is on the 4th though so I will have time to adjust. The embassy called me today to confirm the appointment. The lady explained that I will be subjected to Admin Checking and can expect a wait of between 2 weeks to 3 months! YIKES!
I have already spoken to the folks at my company here is Washington and they are going to allow me to work from there!

Take care and best of luck!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:47 pm
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by viperrt10
Hey my brother MJ! So glad you plans are finalized! I myself will be crossing over(Peace Bridge) on the 25th. My visa appt is on the 4th though so I will have time to adjust. The embassy called me today to confirm the appointment. The lady explained that I will be subjected to Admin Checking and can expect a wait of between 2 weeks to 3 months! YIKES!
I have already spoken to the folks at my company here is Washington and they are going to allow me to work from there!

Take care and best of luck!
Thank you all for the info about the hotels!

Viperrt10, No one called me from the US Consulate to confirm my appointment, Do you know if they always call to confirm the appointment? Did they call you at work?

My appointment is on Monday May 2nd. This is weird! I would've thought they would've called me before you! :scared:
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:38 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inspace
walk up and down Pender instead of Hastings
No, sorry I gotta disagree, no visit to Vancouver is complete without the "Hastings Experience" !

Rich

(OK maybe not for one night and a visit to the Embassy)
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Hey MJ, based on what I know, they are not always consistent in terms of calling, but your should have received the confirmation letter and forms in the mail - you should definitly have those. These are the same as the the ones online. In any case I suggest that you call their 1900 number to be 100 percent sure about your appointment. When you used the NVARS website it should have given you this number. Let me know if you need me to send it to you.

I called them the other day in regards to ADMIN checking (my biggest fear) and they said that since I was from an SR country I will automatically be subjected to this ridiculous Admin checking crap. What REALLY got to me is the ease with with she said it could take upto 3 months!!!

My plan now is to keep the appointment as a backup in case they don't let me come back using the 30 day rule (using my I-94). This is based on a buddies advice who just got back after being stuck there for 65 days.

Take care!

Originally Posted by MJ23
Thank you all for the info about the hotels!

Viperrt10, No one called me from the US Consulate to confirm my appointment, Do you know if they always call to confirm the appointment? Did they call you at work?

My appointment is on Monday May 2nd. This is weird! I would've thought they would've called me before you! :scared:
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:23 am
The ECA Godfather

Hey MJ, based on what I know, they are not always consistent in terms of calling, but your should have received the confirmation letter and forms in the mail - you should definitly have those. These are the same as the the ones online. In any case I suggest that you call their 1900 number to be 100 percent sure about your appointment. When you used the NVARS website it should have given you this number. Let me know if you need me to send it to you.

I called them the other day in regards to ADMIN checking (my biggest fear) and they said that since I was from an SR country I will automatically be subjected to this ridiculous Admin checking crap. What REALLY got to me is the ease with with she said it could take upto 3 months!!!

My plan now is to keep the appointment as a backup in case they don't let me come back using the 30 day rule (using my I-94). This is based on a buddies advice who just got back after being stuck there for 65 days.

Take care!

Thanks Viper,

Well I did my special registration the first year it came up. I wasn't sure if it applied to me or not but I did it any way to be on the safe side. I guess may be they didn't call me because it wasn't clear to them that I might be from an SR country!

Do you know if the US consulate hold your passport when they are doing the admin check? I'm going to fly back home for a month and a half, so I don't care if they take their time with check.

Can you please ask your friend for me if he was given his passport back while they were doing the check, or if that was an option at all?

Thanks man!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Hey MJ!

If you go for an appointment then you are not going to be be able to exit Canada till such time as you get your passport back. They will give you the passport back BUT will place a CANCELLED (big RED stamp) on all your old visas so you cant leave based on the 30 day rule. My buddy tried everything - he tried crossing the border with the cancelled old visa and the I-94 but they didn't let him thru.

No matter what PLEASE make sure you do the following:

1) Make sure you exit from a brigde/airport that is equipped to deal with SR cases. Basically let the officer know that you had done SR 2 years back and they will put an EXIT stamp on your PP. DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT THAT EXIT STAMP! You will have trouble coming back because you SR entry wouldn't have been closed properly. I would advice you to call the airport/Bridge authority to make sure.

2)Do not under any circumstance surrender your I-94 to the airline or on the border, you may need this later. Just tell them that you intend to come back within 30 days. I wont even have mine in the passport and if they ask me for it I'll let them know that I need it to come back. Most officers are totally fine with it. Oh yes, make copies of everything

Thanks Viper,

Well I did my special registration the first year it came up. I wasn't sure if it applied to me or not but I did it any way to be on the safe side. I guess may be they didn't call me because it wasn't clear to them that I might be from an SR country!

Do you know if the US consulate hold your passport when they are doing the admin check? I'm going to fly back home for a month and a half, so I don't care if they take their time with check.

Can you please ask your friend for me if he was given his passport back while they were doing the check, or if that was an option at all?

Thanks man!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:21 am
The ECA Godfather

Hey MJ!

If you go for an appointment then you are not going to be be able to exit Canada till such time as you get your passport back. They will give you the passport back BUT will place a CANCELLED (big RED stamp) on all your old visas so you cant leave based on the 30 day rule. My buddy tried everything - he tried crossing the border with the cancelled old visa and the I-94 but they didn't let him thru.

No matter what PLEASE make sure you do the following:

1) Make sure you exit from a brigde/airport that is equipped to deal with SR cases. Basically let the officer know that you had done SR 2 years back and they will put an EXIT stamp on your PP. DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT THAT EXIT STAMP! You will have trouble coming back because you SR entry wouldn't have been closed properly. I would advice you to call the airport/Bridge authority to make sure.

2)Do not under any circumstance surrender your I-94 to the airline or on the border, you may need this later. Just tell them that you intend to come back within 30 days. I wont even have mine in the passport and if they ask me for it I'll let them know that I need it to come back. Most officers are totally fine with it. Oh yes, make copies of everything

Thanks for the info man! I think you missunderstood me When I asked if they will give me my passport back. They can put all the Canceled stamps they want. I don't care because I'm not asking so that I can return to the US. I just want my passport so that I can travel back home. I will not try to enter the US until I get the visa stamp.

So was your friend's passport returned to him with the "Cancelled Stamps" while they were doing the admin checks? This is my first H1B visa by the way. My expired visa is my old F1 visa.

Last edited by MJ23; Apr 7th 2005 at 3:31 am.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Hey buddy! Yeah they will definitly return it (no problems there) but with a cancelled visa. But how will you re-enter Canada without your PR card? You gotta have either that or a Travel doc to be able to enter thru a commercial carrier. I guess you'll probably wait to get the PR card first.

Thanks for the info man! I think you missunderstood me When I asked if they will give me my passport back. They can put all the Canceled stamps they want. I don't care because I'm not asking so that I can return to the US. I just want my passport so that I can travel back home. I will not try to enter the US until I get the visa stamp.

So was your friend's passport returned to him with the "Cancelled Stamps" while they were doing the admin checks?
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:47 am
The ECA Godfather

Hey buddy! Yeah they will definitly return it (no problems there) but with a cancelled visa. But how will you re-enter Canada without your PR card? You gotta have either that or a Travel doc to be able to enter thru a commercial carrier. I guess you'll probably wait to get the PR card first.
I will have my friend Fedex me my PR card back home!

I'm so reliefed that they will give me my passport back because I really want to go home. I havn't been home in 8 years!

Like I said before, they can take their time doing the admin check. I'll be setting comfortably at my new permanent resident CANADA I will probably need all of that time to find an appartment and get settled in Canada anyway! Ofcourse I will do that after I come back from my vacation back home!

Thanks Viper Are you in Seattle? Wouldn't be funny if we actually see each other walking down the street everyday?
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

That's an AWESOME plan MJ! I don't think you'll have any problems. 8 years is a LONG time. I haven't been back in 4 years and I am freaking out! I am going to be in Toronto. I have many relatives there so hopefully I will settle in easily.

Keep in touch!

I will have my friend Fedex me my PR card back home!

I'm so reliefed that they will give me my passport back because I really want to go home. I havn't been home in 8 years!

Like I said before, they can take their time doing the admin check. I'll be setting comfortably at my new permanent resident CANADA I will probably need all of that time to find an appartment and get settled in Canada anyway! Ofcourse I will do that after I come back from my vacation back home!

Thanks Viper Are you in Seattle? Wouldn't be funny if we actually see each other walking down the street everyday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.